Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: Shifting into 2nd gear on your V6 M6?
Periodic / Regular Grind 194 45.97%
Periodic / Regular Bind 89 21.09%
No Issue 139 32.94%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1597
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4dude View Post
Don't hope for one, tell them you know there is a new tranny design, and DEMAND a new one!
Do you have any official sources about this so I can go in there with some gun powder? My grind has never gone away...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #1598
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
Sorry, they are keeping the info very close. The only ones who can verify it are the field engineers. You have to keep calling Customer service. Be nice, be polite, but don't stop calling. I had the 2nd gear sycro's changed out last June. I have been calling them every month or 2 since asking if they have a fix, what are they working on. When Ideal found this fix, I pushed to have them do it, and was calling every week. My case got elevated 2 levels. Then a field engineer got involved and that is when he revealed there was a new design that was rolled out in March 2012. But you have to stay on them, and you can't be some A'hole on the phone with them either, but you do have to stress this is a performance car that you can't even drive properly and that you are not happy with the transmission and GM not doing anything about it is totally unacceptable to you as a owner and a customer.
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #1599
probee773

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS 6MT Double Black
cb4dude, can you ask your GM point man (field engineer) if they plan on issuing a TSB for this or if they just plan on dealing with the issue by fixing it on newly assembled vehicles going forward?
probee773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #1600
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
Hey was here, then gone. I only met him but could not contact him directly. I am not sure about the TSB. I wouldn't hold my breath. Best bet is to stay on them, call regularly and don't give up. That is what I did, as I outlined in my prior post. I did give very positive feedback about the vast improvement with the new tranny over the old. Hopefully as they get more replaced new gen trannys, it will give them more confidence that they have a true fix.
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #1601
probee773

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS 6MT Double Black
So, this may not be a revelation, but I know how to eliminate the grind in my ay6. Basically, you just cannot move the shift knob until the clutch is all the way to the floor.

You must shift in sequence like this:

[---first---][---push clutch to floor---][---move knob to shift to second---]

NOT overlapping like this:

[---first---][---push clutch to floor---]
.........................................[---move knob to shift to second---]

My theory is that, if you start moving the shift knob before the clutch is all the way on the floor, the gear momentum will cause the transmission internals to speed up which will exceed the capacity of the synchro and cause the grind.

To speed up the shift, I stomp the clutch to the floor as fast as I can and then move the shift knob. Try it and let us know if it works for you too.

By the way, I think IdealG's fix works basically on this same principle since his updated master cylinder just reduces the time it takes to fully disengage the clutch.
probee773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #1602
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by probee773 View Post
So, this may not be a revelation, but I know how to eliminate the grind in my ay6. Basically, you just cannot move the shift knob until the clutch is all the way to the floor.

You must shift in sequence like this:

[---first---][---push clutch to floor---][---move knob to shift to second---]

NOT overlapping like this:

[---first---][---push clutch to floor---]
.........................................[---move knob to shift to second---]

My theory is that, if you start moving the shift knob before the clutch is all the way on the floor, the gear momentum will cause the transmission internals to speed up which will exceed the capacity of the synchro and cause the grind.

To speed up the shift, I stomp the clutch to the floor as fast as I can and then move the shift knob. Try it and let us know if it works for you too.

By the way, I think IdealG's fix works basically on this same principle since his updated master cylinder just reduces the time it takes to fully disengage the clutch.

your exactly right. with the stock cylinder it's just not moving the slave fast enough or far enough.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #1603
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
An actual silly but effective way to fix this is to move your seat up.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #1604
transamguy

Drives: 10 camaro LT(syn)
just got my synergy back from the dealer brought it in for a tranny leak (on the replaced tranny) and causally mentioned to them that the car was still grinding after a complete replacement and they then asked me when it grinds and i explained that it happens past 6200 rpm on "quick" shifts. they said there is no reason to shift at that high of a rpm and to slow down the shifting. One tech had the nerve to ask my if i could drive standard properly i then informed him that i dont have any problems driving my 2000 vette or father's 05 viper.. he got a little quite after that. all that being said they recommended i do no pursue this issue as some could call this form of driving abuse and would void transmission's warranty im afraid at this point im going to have to just live with it any try to enjoy my car knowing that GM Really did bend us over on this one.
transamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #1605
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
An actual silly but effective way to fix this is to move your seat up.
haha this is true though
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #1606
2013Ashen2SSRS

Drives: 2013 Ashen 2SS RS
Is there a thread like this for the 2SS LS3 M6...as I have a rattle in the Hurst shifter and it is hard to get it into 2nd gear also...will be taking it in Friday to dealer as I am away for work or it would be there right now!!
2013Ashen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1607
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Ashen2SSRS View Post
Is there a thread like this for the 2SS LS3 M6...as I have a rattle in the Hurst shifter and it is hard to get it into 2nd gear also...will be taking it in Friday to dealer as I am away for work or it would be there right now!!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96243

Tags
ay6, bind, grind, repair, swap