Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #15
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Mine is at Lone Star Chevrolet today and this is one of the many issues I am having with mine. It's so bad I want to go back to the GT500. That thing has a wonderful shifter... and this was before they included a short throw shifter stock.
I called the dealer today to check on the status of my car... the guy said they were ripping apart my transmission so we shall see what comes of it. I'm excited. Maybe they will replace the synchro's, gears, shifter, shit any of it will probably be better.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Same problem here! I installed a Hurst shifter but same problem. I had the car in to the dealer before I installed the shifter and of course they said nothing is wrong. It's done it from day 1 and I have 6,000 miles on it now. I heard that using Mobil One synthetic ATF helps. Eager to see what they find with SuperFly03's car!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
+1 on the 1st to 2nd notchy shifting. Yes, it has even grinded gears during spirited driving too. I took it to Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa and they said, "It's operating as designed". What a freakin' joke! That's is just pure laziness! Now it's at Selman Chevrolet in Orange. I hope they step up, thoroughly investigate and fix the problem. To me it feels like the clutch does not fully disengaging and has worn the synchros. What's strange is it's notchy whether I'm sitting in the driveway with the engine turned off or driving.
Sorry man I don't see what problem you are referring to...

I think you might be confusing the "notchy shifting" with the stiff detents in the tranny. There is actually supposed to be a positive engagement that you can feel when shifting into the gears. If you are encountering that same feeling while sitting in the driveways parked then I would be willing to bet that is what you are feeling. The syncros would have nothing to do with any stiff gear engagement while you were parked. However if you have a short throw it is only going to amplify that stiff gear engagement.

As for the grinding while spirited driving, I would be willing to bet that you are letting out the clutch just a hair too quick for the transmission to be fully engaged in gear which results in the grinding. An easy test is after you short shift it and you grind, if you push the clutch back in fully and you can put it into gear at that point it is not the syncros going bad (if they were going, they would go regardless of if you short shifted or not). Also remember on the 6060 there are 3 syncros on first and second and 2 on all of the other gears, so the odds of wearing the syncros are pretty small. Remember, that with this transmission if you are ripping gears and short shifting there is a very fine line between letting the clutch out too soon and missing the gear and getting the shift perfect, and it is very easy to confuse the two and blame the equipment. That is not to say there may be something wrong with your tranny, however when you push this engine and tranny hard it is not forgiving. You will either be spot on, or way off and the difference between the two is exceedingly small, and it will bark back at you to let you know you did something wrong.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #18
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Good video. Your shifter doesn't remain straight

rcracer78:

Just saw your video.

Every time you release the shifter in neutral it does not come back to the straight vertical but remains tlited to the left.

Mine goes back to almost perfect vertical everytime I release it in neutral.

Could it be that the mechanism was not corectly set up in your car shifter??

Hope this helps you.

Good luck,

The Flash
Old 08-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
+1 on the 1st to 2nd notchy shifting. Yes, it has even grinded gears during spirited driving too. I took it to Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa and they said, "It's operating as designed". What a freakin' joke! That's is just pure laziness! Now it's at Selman Chevrolet in Orange. I hope they step up, thoroughly investigate and fix the problem. To me it feels like the clutch does not fully disengaging and has worn the synchros. What's strange is it's notchy whether I'm sitting in the driveway with the engine turned off or driving.

Here is a video of the notchy shifting:

Here is the pathetic worksheet from pathetic Connell Chevrolet:

You saw the video, right? So how can Connell Chevrolet be so oblivious?
I had the same problem..It was never fixed.. Mine was clunky while driving as well as yours.. I didn't realize how bad it was until I test drove the new 2011 Mustang GT 5.0.. Smooth as butter..
Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I get that grind mainly between 1st and 2nd on hard acceleration. It's really getting to me since I know if it's not fixed, I'll have tranny problems in the future.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I get that grind mainly between 1st and 2nd on hard acceleration. It's really getting to me since I know if it's not fixed, I'll have tranny problems in the future.
Yeah, it was only from 1st to 2nd with mine too. Our vins were very close. What I thought it might have been was the gear itself, but I was no expert.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I will be taking mine in tomorrow. I have driven manuals for 20+ years. I thought it must be me. When I try to accelerate hard, 2nd often will not let me engage. I have had to jump over to third many times. This is with the clutch all the way to the floor and foot away from the gas pedal. I have headers sitting in my garage and a KB supercharger on its way. I definitely want to get this taken care of before I install them.

Any member that gets this corrected, please let us know what the solution was.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #23
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Could it be the mechanics/harware of the dreaded skipshift getting in the way... even when it is disengaged?

After all, it is designed to lock you out of 2nd.

btw ... mine does it too (#1691).

Makes me cringe
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #24
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post

I think you might be confusing the "notchy shifting" with the stiff detents in the tranny. There is actually supposed to be a positive engagement that you can feel when shifting into the gears. If you are encountering that same feeling while sitting in the driveways parked then I would be willing to bet that is what you are feeling. The syncros would have nothing to do with any stiff gear engagement while you were parked. However if you have a short throw it is only going to amplify that stiff gear engagement.

As for the grinding while spirited driving, I would be willing to bet that you are letting out the clutch just a hair too quick for the transmission to be fully engaged in gear which results in the grinding. An easy test is after you short shift it and you grind, if you push the clutch back in fully and you can put it into gear at that point it is not the syncros going bad (if they were going, they would go regardless of if you short shifted or not). Also remember on the 6060 there are 3 syncros on first and second and 2 on all of the other gears, so the odds of wearing the syncros are pretty small. Remember, that with this transmission if you are ripping gears and short shifting there is a very fine line between letting the clutch out too soon and missing the gear and getting the shift perfect, and it is very easy to confuse the two and blame the equipment. That is not to say there may be something wrong with your tranny, however when you push this engine and tranny hard it is not forgiving. You will either be spot on, or way off and the difference between the two is exceedingly small, and it will bark back at you to let you know you did something wrong.
I have to disagree with you. There is something wrong with the Camaro SS's transmission/shifter. I am not entirely sure where the problem is (gears or shifter) but the GT500 that I had has the exact same transmission, Tremec 6060. It felt completely different. I never had to force it into gear, I never got stuck, I never grinded any gears except when I missed clutchless shifting (driver error). The feel of shifting was so much different on that car. It involved less effort, it never felt notchy, I never ground the gears because of a jacked clutch, or anything of the sort.

So I am hard pressed to say the OP is doing something wrong when I am getting the same result.

Previous Car:
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Could it be the mechanics/harware of the dreaded skipshift getting in the way... even when it is disengaged?

Makes me cringe
I've considered this. I would need to see how the lock out works to tell.

If it is true... then me and the Camaro are going to have long term problems.

Previous Car:
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
I have to disagree with you. There is something wrong with the Camaro SS's transmission/shifter. I am not entirely sure where the problem is (gears or shifter) but the GT500 that I had has the exact same transmission, Tremec 6060. It felt completely different. I never had to force it into gear, I never got stuck, I never grinded any gears except when I missed clutchless shifting (driver error). The feel of shifting was so much different on that car. It involved less effort, it never felt notchy, I never ground the gears because of a jacked clutch, or anything of the sort.

So I am hard pressed to say the OP is doing something wrong when I am getting the same result.
! I drove my boss's SRT8 Chally which also has the tremec6060 and it was butter smooth, not notchy, easy shifting! What gives with ours on the Camaro?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I drove my boss's SRT8 Chally which also has the tremec6060 and it was butter smooth, not notchy, easy shifting! What gives with ours on the Camaro?
No freakin idea. I'm headed back to the dealer today in a few hours. I will let you know what the tell me.

They don't believe me on my suspension troubles but that's for another thread. They supposedly took the tranny and shifter apart but he didn't tell me over the phone what was replaced if anything.

Previous Car:
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I had the same problem..It was never fixed.. Mine was clunky while driving as well as yours.. I didn't realize how bad it was until I test drove the new 2011 Mustang GT 5.0.. Smooth as butter..
It was that bad that you went to the Dark Side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post

I've been driving manual transmissions for 15 years so it's not user error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
rcracer78:

Just saw your video.

Every time you release the shifter in neutral it does not come back to the straight vertical but remains tlited to the left.

Mine goes back to almost perfect vertical everytime I release it in neutral.

Could it be that the mechanism was not corectly set up in your car shifter??

Hope this helps you.

Good luck,

The Flash
Oh yeah.....What's up with that? I just watched my video again and noticed the same thing. I thought maybe the camera was at an angle because I had it sitting on the console while I was recording but it doesn't appear to be a bad camera angle. I can't see it right now cuz it's at the dealer for what I hope to be a succssful repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I will be taking mine in tomorrow. I have driven manuals for 20+ years. I thought it must be me. When I try to accelerate hard, 2nd often will not let me engage. I have had to jump over to third many times. This is with the clutch all the way to the floor and foot away from the gas pedal. I have headers sitting in my garage and a KB supercharger on its way. I definitely want to get this taken care of before I install them.

Any member that gets this corrected, please let us know what the solution was.
I would definitley not install those componets until the problem is resolved. That would put a tremendous hitch in your giddy up. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post

Makes me cringe
I was thinking the same thing. That skip shift is the worst design ever. 1st to 4th........haaa.....that's just ridiculous! You should have bought a Prius if you're looking for good mpg! Mas Pu%*!
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote