Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #1
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
AC compressor clicks on and then off after starting engine?

Hey guys,
when i start our '15 SS cold or after it's been sitting a while there are "2 clicks" that can be heard right after starting the engine, like something turning on then off.
Just a couple hours ago, left the hood open, started the engine and then went to the front of the car. The AC compressor clicked on then off. There are my "2 clicks".
When i start the car "hot" it doesn't do it.

The only climate button that is on is the blower motor, nothing else.

Question: anyone else hear the AC compressor clicking on and then off after engine is started? Anyone maybe know the reason for this?

Thanks, Bob
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #2
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Someone?

Anyone want to take a minute out of their time to tell a fellow Camaro member if the AC Compressor clicks on and then off in your car when you start the engine cold? No buttons are pushed on the ac/heater control.

Service dept. doesn't know the answer.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Sounds like everything is operating normally.

Depending on the present state of the of the refrigeration cycle and conditions both inside and out determines how long the compressor is engaged or not(cycles). This is determined by the pressures on both the liquid and suction side of the system and the temperature of the air exiting past the evaporator core. All of which is system load dependent. Once the system has reached the desired temperature/normalized, typical compressor cycle rates range from 1-5 a minute.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Have a 2014 2SS/RS --- I've noticed my A/C sometimes switches on when I start the car cold - even when I am sure it was left off the last time I used the car (day before). It seems to happen at random when the car is cold. Now I am getting more in to the habit of looking to see if the A/C light is on each time the car is started and switch off if I do not need the coldness. Almost like it does not remember the last setting sometimes?
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Have a 2014 2SS/RS --- I've noticed my A/C sometimes switches on when I start the car cold - even when I am sure it was left off the last time I used the car (day before). It seems to happen at random when the car is cold. Now I am getting more in to the habit of looking to see if the A/C light is on each time the car is started and switch off if I do not need the coldness. Almost like it does not remember the last setting sometimes?
Ron
Possibly, I've observed my air control switch from recirculate to fresh between start/stops. It only happened once, but I'm not sure if it was something else (accidental touching).
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1le View Post
Sounds like everything is operating normally.

Depending on the present state of the of the refrigeration cycle and conditions both inside and out determines how long the compressor is engaged or not(cycles). This is determined by the pressures on both the liquid and suction side of the system and the temperature of the air exiting past the evaporator core. All of which is system load dependent. Once the system has reached the desired temperature/normalized, typical compressor cycle rates range from 1-5 a minute.
Thanks much for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Ron
Thanks for the replies.

Sometimes my car does the same thing when cold and i watch for the A/C light as well.
I have also noticed when i turn the fan motor ON the A/C comes on automatically.
Other cars i have never did these things. Must be the design of the beast.

Bob