Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
2nd gear grind warranty on modded 2011

So....I've got the dreaded 2nd gear grind. Seems to slowly be getting worse, but I generally baby it until warmed up so as not to damage anything.

From my reading, I think something like this should be covered on the 5/100 warranty, but my question is regarding the mods...I've got an aftermarket block, new clutch, all kinds of mods.

Think I'd be on the hook? If so, what do yall think a reasonable estimate is for the work? Going to be calling my local chevy dealer just to talk with the svc manager in a sec, but wanted to post up here for some advice to see what the folks 'in the know' may think...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
It sounds like you are on the hook based on the limited information you've provided to us. The cost to truly fix the problem starts at around $3,500 for a complete rebuild of the trans.

You could throw another set of blockers and syncros in there and hope that it's fixed but if you read the endless number of posts on this problem, you may want to consider a complete rebuild by a reputable shop, not a dealer.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
lololol

so I just got off the phone with the dealer. Service manager was like 'yeah, it's not warrantied'

But, he's going to get me a quote to rebuild the trans, along with one to completely replace it.

I have zero intention of getting the work done at the dealer, especially for stock parts on my heavily modded car, but I figure it'd be a good ballpark estimate for a rebuild from a reputable shop in my area. I'm going to be asking my shop this weekend for a ballpark on that one...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
As a cheap test, try swapping in new fluid first. Mine feels like a new transmission since changing the fluid at 20k.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote