Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
2.3 Magnacharged 2010 SS (600 rwhp) vs stock 2013 ZL1 - Which one would you buy?

Hey guys

I have a chance right now to get into a supper low mileage 2010 SS which is making approx. 600 rwhp or a 2013 stock ZL1.

I will lay out the details here to see what you guys think.

-The 2010 SS is approximately $6000 cheaper then the ZL1

-It has less then half the mileage then the ZL1 (14 000 miles)

-Its making quite a bit more power then the ZL1, approximately 600 rwhp

-lastly its my favorite color

Now onto the ZL1:

-its my LEAST favorite color , but I plan to have it wrapped or plasti dipped

-it obviously is newer

-interior is much nicer from what I heard (assuming that's true?)

-its much more beefed up (suspension , brakes , engine internals etc...)

-Aside from the color it obviously looks much better , body additions and vented hood etc...

Ive had my mind set on getting a ZL1 but the prices are not coming down to where id like , so they are still sort of out of my range at this point.

The SS is lighter and making more power, so id be extremely happy with that , but the boring looks really take the passion away from me, but im sure that can be improved with a z28 spoiler kit and some lowering springs.

I already have a beautiful set of auto coutures to go on either the SS or ZL1

So to sum up my issue, I can get the SS which is going to be faster , its cheaper, lower mileage and is my favorite color

Or I can get the ZL1 which is what ive really wanted, but it is more expensive, less powerful, and my least favorite color , but like I said I could plasti dip or wrap it.

What are your thoughts on this ? I know you guys will be somewhat favoring to the SS , but im hoping for some unbias opinions if that's at all possible lol

Thanks so much in advance
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
If you plan to sell it down the road the zl1 will be worth more. Me I would go with the zl1
Old 07-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 to 91 to 13 View Post
If you plan to sell it down the road the zl1 will be worth more. Me I would go with the zl1
Im getting the SS at a good enough price that im sure I can drive it for 1-2 years and not lose anything on deprecation, even with the mileage ill rack on .

The ZL1 is pretty much the same, could run it for 1-2 years and get my money back

That's all assuming I don't run into any mechanical failures
Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
No question. Go for the ZL1 and here's why in my opinion.

The ENTIRE drivetrain in the ZL1 is much more beefy, designed from the start to handle the horsepower of a stock engine and much more. I don't recall hearing from anyone with a ZL1 breaking it's drivetrain.

Think about this. The ZL1 was designed from the factory to take abuse. The coupe comes with 5 different PTM's from #1 (wet/snow covered roads) all the way to #5 (for use at a drag strip equipped with a well prepared starting line) All while being covered by the warranty.

During it's development, they subjected a ZL1 to 100 hard launches on Woodward.

A ZL1's rear axles are designed to help eliminate wheel hop. One axle is smaller diameter but solid, while the other is a larger diameter axle but is hollow.

With the SS, I know a few people that grenade the rear end after beefing up the engine.

Basically, the SS has the more HP, but the ZL1 is a total package designed to handle the higher HP.

Would you rather have the SS and be concerned with the drivetrain needing upgrades to handle the power, or buy the ZL1 that can already handle the HP.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
For me it would be simple, I would never buy a modded car.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
The ZL1 imo. Besides the upgrade in parts already in place - you can always add some work to that if you want to go past 600. Will not take much from what I hear and read. You'll have the beefy ZL1 mag suspension and in the interior, a steering wheel that feels like bunnies etc etc...

The 2010 runs a bit short on 'tech'. 2013 is a nice 'tech' upgrade - even going SS to SS.

Repaint or dip the ZL1 to your liking if its the color that's got you... yeah, more cash, but its a ZL1, its worth it... I'd buy a sh*t stain brown one if the price was right.

I'm not selling or trading, even for a ZL1... I already bought an SS. I'll build this up first. But if I was in your shoes - ZL1.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The ZL1 was built with reliability in mind, whereas the modded car was most likely not given such priority. So, if you have a nice garage, and good set of tools, a little know how, and enjoy a good wrenching now and then, the SS might be your thing. Otherwise, the ZL1 would be the way to go, IMHO.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Sounds like you really want the ZL1. If you get the SS knowing that you passed on the ZL1 it will drive you mad! The ZL1 is an awesome machine.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
No question. Go for the ZL1 and here's why in my opinion.

The ENTIRE drivetrain in the ZL1 is much more beefy, designed from the start to handle the horsepower of a stock engine and much more. I don't recall hearing from anyone with a ZL1 breaking it's drivetrain.

Think about this. The ZL1 was designed from the factory to take abuse. The coupe comes with 5 different PTM's from #1 (wet/snow covered roads) all the way to #5 (for use at a drag strip equipped with a well prepared starting line) All while being covered by the warranty.

During it's development, they subjected a ZL1 to 100 hard launches on Woodward.

A ZL1's rear axles are designed to help eliminate wheel hop. One axle is smaller diameter but solid, while the other is a larger diameter axle but is hollow.

With the SS, I know a few people that grenade the rear end after beefing up the engine.

Basically, the SS has the more HP, but the ZL1 is a total package designed to handle the higher HP.

Would you rather have the SS and be concerned with the drivetrain needing upgrades to handle the power, or buy the ZL1 that can already handle the HP.
What he said...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #10
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Go with what your heart says,not your pocket (within reason). I was going to a v6 but I decided to get the V8 SS and I paid more, but in the long run, I am happy even though I had to cut down on some of my other purchasing to afford mine.

joe...
Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 AM   #11
1Willy1

wow, the ZL1 must really be a great car if all the SS guys are telling me to go for it

I know the ZL1 is beefed up and more heavy duty, but to be honest I don't beat on my cars very hard at all, I don't track or do burn outs or anything like that so I almost feel like the SS might be able to handle the extra power because im pretty easy on it.

Also it was supercharged and modified in the first few years of its life, and its now 8 years old so if anything wa going to break it porbably would have by now, But I do get the message loud and clear.

Its a tough call, im going to sleep on it and give it some more thought in the morning.

Thanks guys
Old 07-31-2018, 03:04 AM   #12
1Willy1

I also have to consider that the SS is almost 500 pounds lighter then the ZL1, which is quite significant
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 AM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Anyone with $7k can slap a supercharger on an SS. However, what happens when it goes BOOM because the rest of the components were not upgraded to take the power increase?

I say ZL1 all the way. It already has the heavy duty upgraded drivetrain components to take the power increase.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
wow, the ZL1 must really be a great car if all the SS guys are telling me to go for it

I know the ZL1 is beefed up and more heavy duty, but to be honest I don't beat on my cars very hard at all, I don't track or do burn outs or anything like that so I almost feel like the SS might be able to handle the extra power because im pretty easy on it.

Also it was supercharged and modified in the first few years of its life, and its now 8 years old so if anything wa going to break it porbably would have by now, But I do get the message loud and clear.

Its a tough call, im going to sleep on it and give it some more thought in the morning.

Thanks guys
This statement does qualify it a s a good build, for sure. The question is what has that eight years done to the rest of the drive train? Modified cars require more overall maintenance more often.

The real question is what is the car going to be used for, and how important is reliability? If this is a daily driver and has to get you everywhere you go, then reliability is important.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote