Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #1
Zmgood

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
11 ss auto shifting issues

Hello everyone ,
I have an 11 ss automatic with 34k miles on it. The past two weeks I've noticed that when driving sometimes it wont shift. It holds the rpms until I release the gas and it sounds terrible. It does this in sport mode or drive mode. It hasn't done this until about the past two weeks. It seems to be getting worse and more often as I drive it . Any ideas on what it can be? My car is tuned and has been tuned for about a year now. The transmission is stock and my car has fbo plus bigger inejectors and flex fuel tuned.
Zmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Checked your fluid levels recently? Changed the filter or fluid ever?

I know that the transmission will adjust to how you drive. Like if you drive aggressively, it will hold the shift change until near redline and then when you start driving normally it will also begin to shift normally.
But I am fairly certain that it only does that in sport mode, not 100% sure though.

Also, have you tried replicating it when using TapShift? While in TapShift it should do exactly as you ask, so if it isn't shifting properly then, then you definitely have an issue.

But I would start by checking your fluid level/quality. DO NOT assume that the factory fill was correct just because it was GM. If the fluid is fine, I would suggest having it checked out. You definitely don't want to continue driving it like that and have to lay out $2k plus for a new 6L80E.

Good luck and please update the thread when you figure it out.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmgood View Post
Hello everyone ,
I have an 11 ss automatic with 34k miles on it. The past two weeks I've noticed that when driving sometimes it wont shift. It holds the rpms until I release the gas and it sounds terrible. It does this in sport mode or drive mode. It hasn't done this until about the past two weeks. It seems to be getting worse and more often as I drive it . Any ideas on what it can be? My car is tuned and has been tuned for about a year now. The transmission is stock and my car has fbo plus bigger inejectors and flex fuel tuned.
Sounds like maybe your tuner has sport mode set for BOTH D and S. In Sport, it will hold them longer, which is for enter/exit corners.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Checked your fluid levels recently? Changed the filter or fluid ever?

I know that the transmission will adjust to how you drive. Like if you drive aggressively, it will hold the shift change until near redline and then when you start driving normally it will also begin to shift normally.
But I am fairly certain that it only does that in sport mode, not 100% sure though.

Also, have you tried replicating it when using TapShift? While in TapShift it should do exactly as you ask, so if it isn't shifting properly then, then you definitely have an issue.

But I would start by checking your fluid level/quality. DO NOT assume that the factory fill was correct just because it was GM. If the fluid is fine, I would suggest having it checked out. You definitely don't want to continue driving it like that and have to lay out $2k plus for a new 6L80E.

Good luck and please update the thread when you figure it out.
After 34,000 miles, a dirty filter is highly unlikely, unless the car has been raced extensively or used to tow a trailer.

Look under the car. If you aren't visibly losing transmission fluid, that is lot likely the problem, although checking the level can't hurt.

However, since you have a tune, that is the most likely culprit.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
If its been tuned for a while now and it "didnt" do it before then there is definitely something going on.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Zmgood

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
Hey guys It turns out the valves were not opening all the way / getting stuck. Added Lucas additive and it seems be working fine now .
Zmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmgood View Post
Hey guys It turns out the valves were not opening all the way / getting stuck. Added Lucas additive and it seems be working fine now .
Based on that outcome, I think you need a trans flush and filter change.

Somebody put some seriously hard miles on your transmission.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Based on that outcome, I think you need a trans flush and filter change.

Somebody put some seriously hard miles on your transmission.
I agree. This is the first V/8 Auto transmission problem I remember seeing
here on camaro5 in 10 years. The tune probably didn't help things and a
trans flush is definitely in order imo.