Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Remove rear spoiler or let it be?

Hey guys new 1le owner here as of last Saturday. I'm in the process of addressing a few of the things that others have recommended to me as a first time 5th gen owner. I'm going to replace the yaw sensor to eliminate the HSA feature and I'm also going to address the skip shift issue.

So anyways I've read numerous threads on the hit and miss paint issues on these cars. Well today I noticed my hood hinges had next to no paint so I had some paint mixed up and took care of that problem. Looks so much better now with minimal effort thankfully.

Ok my question is about the paint under the rear spoiler. If I have no plans to replace the spoiler with another one, is this one of those things I just forget about and let it be. Or do I need to still remove it and address the possible paint flaws and reinstall?

Thanks
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Where in Missouri? (I always ask)

I would leave it be if it were me unless you can see any issues around the edge of it. There is probably more pertinent things to address. If however you are a B&P man it's probably going to bug you. If so, go for it.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
Where in Missouri? (I always ask)

I would leave it be if it were me unless you can see any issues around the edge of it. There is probably more pertinent things to address. If however you are a B&P man it's probably going to bug you. If so, go for it.

Jefferson City thanks! I don't see anything suspicious around the edges as of yet. Hoping to start detailing the exterior tonight or tomorrow and I'll get a better look. Got the wheels inside and out all cleaned up along with the brake calipers and cleaned the engine compartment up. I'm getting it there slowly lol.

Thanks again
Old 08-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
Silveradoss573

I got a better look today around the spoiler and nothing jumped out at me from what I could see.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
If it looks like mine, you don't want to see it
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Personal decision, though I’ll state it takes about four minutes to remove it if you take your time breaking the wiring harness... you can buy some rubber washers if you do remove it and put them on the studs between the spoiler and the trunk lid then forget about the rubbing issue messing up the paint...

I run the dovetail on the street and to this point I’ve run the lip spoiler in the track. I’m now in the territory speed wise I need the highstrake extended length spoiler for safety... and I will give me more downforce...

The highstrake unit is mounted on its own trunk lid... four bolts, two wires and that’s swapped out...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #7
Silveradoss573

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm still debating whether or not to pull the spoiler and have a look or not...ugh.

May just what until this winter and take a peek and see what's what.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
I pulled my spoiler and replaced it with a Z28 variant. When I pulled the spoiler, the black paint stuck to the rubber strips.

I've never seen anything like this on a car before. It's as if they didn't wait until the paint was dry before they mounted the spoiler. There was also a fair amount of crud under there that ground away at the paint in some spots. This was towards the 3rd brake light if I recall correctly.

There was no metal exposed, only down to primer in some spots so rust wise, it's still protected. Unless your car was already taken care of at the dealer, if and when you pull it, you can expect a full prime/paint/clear job waiting for you. I'm fixing mine during the winter.

I had ~17k on my car when I pulled the wing.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote