Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
The BA system I found to be really good once I added the subs in the trunk. I've been very happy with it.

This model, though, I'm sure will go through a similar cycle. People will find ways to integrate subs. A company will probably produce an easy way to do so, similar to the harness that ******** sold for our 5th gens. It's 2015, there will be ways to customize the speaker setup.

The head unit definitely looks like it will be tough to change, even more than the 5th possibly...
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Ive never heard the BA system everyone complains about, but I can speak for Bose. I had it in 2 Corvettes and a home system... It was pure crap. Literally the worst sound quality of any cars Ive ever owned(including old trucks). Great bass, but no highs. Flat. Horrible. Sure hope theyve improved.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Yea I'm curious about this too and hope either a company comes out with a mod to integrate with the stock HU or there is a way to integrate subs DIY style. I just cannot have a stock sound system, usually one of the first things I mod lol.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Except the next gen my-link has all the computer controls, and settings for all the tech in the Head Unit. Also Bose is a proprietary system separate coded signals for each of there speakers.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #19
atlcamaro1

Drives: mercedes s class
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxWittles View Post
Yea I'm curious about this too and hope either a company comes out with a mod to integrate with the stock HU or there is a way to integrate subs DIY style. I just cannot have a stock sound system, usually one of the first things I mod lol.
Im thinking that the power button is integrated with the head unit screen, even though it appears that it is not. ( its sitting below the head unit screen. There is a power button, a forward button, home button, back button.) Im thinking that you can lift that whole thing out as one whole unit.

A aftermarket kit would have to extend down where the power/forward/back buttons were located. ( There would be a big hole where the power/forward,backward/home buttons were located after removing them. ) The question is, on the units that have the ambient lighting surrounding the head unit screen, would removing that lighting disable ALL the ambient lighting in the car, or could it just be bypassed. Gonna be interesting to find out how its rigged so that a aftermarket unit can be put in.

atlcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #20
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxWittles View Post
Me too. This time around, I want to keep the stock head unit, so we'll see what options become available.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
Me too. This time around, I want to keep the stock head unit, so we'll see what options become available.
I wonder if there will be a more basic headunit/stereo combination. I wouldn't think that touchscreen headunit with the bose speakers would come standard on all models, would it?

Id almost rather get a more basic stereo package and then upgrade the headunit/speakers/amp to aftermarket myself later on down the road.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
I wonder if there will be a more basic headunit/stereo combination. I wouldn't think that touchscreen headunit with the bose speakers would come standard on all models, would it?

Id almost rather get a more basic stereo package and then upgrade the headunit/speakers/amp to aftermarket myself later on down the road.
I share your thoughts, but I think they have the CANBUS tied into the head units now in so many ways, chimes, mics, etc. And the phyical profiles are far from standard DIN the aftermarket understands. Sucks for us but Bose is prob the best we can hope for. :(

Why oh why did the OEMs get into bed with Bose in the first place?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post

There will be a more basic radio. Dodge and Ford have a cheap and nice setup too.

I have 0 interest in some out of place aftermarket crap as a head unit. Hope the stock system delivers but if it doesn't, there are options which keep the stock hu.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
There will be a more basic radio. Dodge and Ford have a cheap and nice setup too.

I have 0 interest in some out of place aftermarket crap as a head unit. Hope the stock system delivers but if it doesn't, there are options which keep the stock hu.

I hate aftermarket headunits. I was shopping for a used car a while back and it was always an immediate dealbreaker for me.

When GM started integrating switchgear into the center stack I celebrated.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #25
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post

Does anyone know where the amplifier is in the current 2LT/2SS cars? Is it under the front passenger seat?
My 2010 was/is in the trunk driver's side by tail lights.. I've replaced my factory amp w/ a JL 4chan and also added a sub thump box.. Sub thump made it pretty easy both times I used them.. Great stuff from those guys.. I've since also replaced my door speakers/tweeters..

I can't see a reason to replace the headunit but will be AMAZED if i don't feel the need to upgrade most of everything else..
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #26
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
I don't think it would make sense to change the head unit on the 6th gen. I thought most people changed the 5gen unit because it was not a screen but more of a dated looking head unit. That's not the case this time. Most new cars come with the head unit intergtated into the vehicle and is never changed.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #27
bdavies11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I don't think it would make sense to change the head unit on the 6th gen. I thought most people changed the 5gen unit because it was not a screen but more of a dated looking head unit. That's not the case this time. Most new cars come with the head unit intergtated into the vehicle and is never changed.
I think most people that choose to replace the head-unit with aftermarket are those that really enjoy high quality sound rather than cosmetics. No stock head unit will compare to a good aftermarket radio (ex. Pioneer's deh-80prs) when it comes to sound quality.

Obviously there are other steps that need to be taken like deadening your doors, getting a good component set paired with a solid amp, etc, etc.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #28
bdavies11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post

I can't see a reason to replace the headunit but will be AMAZED if i don't feel the need to upgrade most of everything else..
If you wanted to run an active setup or simply tune your sound, you'd find plenty of reasons to want to replace the stock headunit.