Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
Havnt had cats on any of my cars in the past 10 years.
Do tell
Old 12-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
Ghost52

Drives: SW 2SS/RS L99
I am in an emissions county. They plug into the OBD, but I have never had anyone do a visual. So if you have no flags then you shouldn't have a problem.
Ghost52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
sniffers in Texas are in major cities only and their adjacent counties so as long as you're at least 2 counties away from "Dallas", you should be fine. You can play internet keyboard all day long, go visit Jiffy Lube, Mr. Sticker etc and ask them.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #18
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
sniffers in Texas are in major cities only and their adjacent counties so as long as you're at least 2 counties away from "Dallas", you should be fine. You can play internet keyboard all day long, go visit Jiffy Lube, Mr. Sticker etc and ask them.
Dallas doesn't require sniffer. Plug and check for codes like Ghost52 mentioned. Sniff test is only for OBD 1 vehicles according to the TX DPS office where I took the test.

Of course, as you mentioned, asking a local shop you trust is probably best.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
havelegs

Drives: 2015 1SS RS L99
Do you have to get inspection in the county the car is registered in?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #20
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Do you have to get inspection in the county the car is registered in?
Not necessarily, but if your car is registered in a county that requires emissions testing then you are still required to have that specific test performed. If the shop in another county has the ability to perform the correct testing then they are required to do so based on the county you live in. If they cannot peform the proper testing then they can do the safety portion for you and then you will still be required to do the emissions test portion of it before you will be able to get your registration which means that you will have to go to another shop to complete that portion.

For the OBD II and CAN equipped vehicles ( 96 and newer, but there are actually a few 95 model vehicles with OBD II)
it is simply a safety inspection and then the computer gets plugged into the OBD port instead of having the "sniffer test" performed. They are also "supposed" to do a visual check of the mufflers and cats. However, probably 95% of the inspectors, if not more, do not even bother looking. The only reason that the tailpipe test is performed on a newer vehicle would be that if for whatever reason the OBD II port is not functional. Then, in order to complete the test, the inspector has the option to run a two speed idle test which requires the use of the "sniffer."

You could always just register your vehicle in one of those other counties. There are people that do it for whatever reason. Hopefully this helps.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
JWade

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS, L99
My experience in Travis, Williamson, and Fort Bend counties over the past 20 years ... For cars older than 1996, they'll put on a sniffer. For newer cars, they'll just scan for engine codes and typically visually check for a cat.
With hi-flo cats, not a really good reason anymore to go cat-less, other than sound I suppose.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #22
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Here in San Antonio it's pretty much just visual inspection.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
havelegs

Any issues getting plugged in after having a tune?
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
This may not come out right but if the tuner knows that it needs to be tuned with the ability to pass the test then there will be no issue at all. Take my car for instance, I bought it from somewhere that didn't do emissions testing so long story short, I had to have it retuned before I could pass the emissions test.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #25
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke 'em View Post
This may not come out right but if the tuner knows that it needs to be tuned with the ability to pass the test then there will be no issue at all. Take my car for instance, I bought it from somewhere that didn't do emissions testing so long story short, I had to have it retuned before I could pass the emissions test.
Thanks. I'm sure Aikman would tune it so it would pass emissions, lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #26
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
I havn't had a tune nor am I missing my cats but I do not have mufflers, and I use the 10 min sticker stops, they are knocking out cars so fast, they never look under (most don't even have pits). I have gone through 2 inspection cycles now with no mufflers, and no one has said a word to me.

And to second above me, Jerry would make sure it was ready for inspection...
Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #27
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
About to find out if it passes now. Headers, no cats, no exhaust. He just asked, what exhaust do you have flowmaster? Sounds f**king good" I replied, umm something like that. He gets under the car to look and got up and fist bumped me. Lol. I think I'm going to pass.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortious View Post
I havn't had a tune nor am I missing my cats but I do not have mufflers, and I use the 10 min sticker stops, they are knocking out cars so fast, they never look under (most don't even have pits). I have gone through 2 inspection cycles now with no mufflers, and no one has said a word to me.

And to second above me, Jerry would make sure it was ready for inspection...
Yeah I have no doubt in his work.