Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #4551
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/05/...#slide-7078093

2019 T1XX Sierra Diesel.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #4552
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Why would they produce a different and all new Corvette model with the car moving to a mid-engined layout? If anything keep the C7 while offering the mid-engined car as the halo model. Once the halo model gets a refresh (can't believe I'm typing this) dump the C7 and stick with the mid-engined car, or keep them both.

If GM wants to attack the 'affordable RWD' market they should do something lightweight and turbocharged. Give it a manual, make it handle well and keep it somewhat economical and they could have a winner. To me, your suggestion reminds me of a Camaro V6 1LE.
Well, I did preface my post with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If Corvette is expanding the brand, rather than outright ditching the traditional front-mid engine/rear drive layout all together ...
But beyond that, I don't think they're ditching the conventional layout. Not when they roughly doubling the size of the factory (no paint shop in the world is that big). The mid-engine car can get its own line, while the little guy shares a line with the regular Corvette.

The V6 1LE is a good starting point for performance, but I'm thinking smaller & lighter. A 90-something inch wheel base & curb weight right around 3000 pounds feels right to me.

The choice of engine is almost a matter of preference. I can see doing 4 cylinders. Maybe have a base NA car with a lower price point then a high-output turbo at the top trim. Similar to how the Solstice/Sky were done. But the problem is the Miata. Either the car is bigger and heavier than the Miata (like the Kappa twins were) and gets derided for it ... or it competes toe-to-toe with the little Mazda & gets derided for it by all the people who laugh at the Miata.

With my idea, it basically uses the 370Z as a punching bag. Not the most challenging of tasks in the automotive world, sure, but it does allow for a lot more leeway when creating a name for itself.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #4553
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Do you think they're dusting off that light duty diesel they shelved ages ago?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #4554
FenwickHockey65

I was under the impression that at this point, the 4.5L Duramax was basically too old to go into actual production. Either it wouldn't meet emissions or it simply wasn't modern enough to be competitive anymore.

But who knows. Maybe GM updated it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #4555
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well, I did preface my post with this:

But beyond that, I don't think they're ditching the conventional layout. Not when they roughly doubling the size of the factory (no paint shop in the world is that big). The mid-engine car can get its own line, while the little guy shares a line with the regular Corvette.

The V6 1LE is a good starting point for performance, but I'm thinking smaller & lighter. A 90-something inch wheel base & curb weight right around 3000 pounds feels right to me.

The choice of engine is almost a matter of preference. I can see doing 4 cylinders. Maybe have a base NA car with a lower price point then a high-output turbo at the top trim. Similar to how the Solstice/Sky were done. But the problem is the Miata. Either the car is bigger and heavier than the Miata (like the Kappa twins were) and gets derided for it ... or it competes toe-to-toe with the little Mazda & gets derided for it by all the people who laugh at the Miata.

With my idea, it basically uses the 370Z as a punching bag. Not the most challenging of tasks in the automotive world, sure, but it does allow for a lot more leeway when creating a name for itself.
It's probably a very pretty paint booth though lol

I see what you're saying, and the big problem is the Miata. If you compete with it the journo's will call the miata the winner (or a close 'tie'). Going for the 370 is a better target for sure out of the two directions.

Going for the 370 opens it up to a lot of other comparisons with cars like the 2-Series, Cayman, Mustang etc. Something with weight around 3 - 3,200 lbs and a tt v6 would make a good splash in that segment.

I think a wheelbase around 90in would be a touch too small. Something around 100in would be a good compromise between something like a Solstace and a ATS/Camaro. I thought the Solstace and Sky were a bit too cramped inside.

Edit: i'm now seeing your thought for a different model under the corvette brand. Make it a smaller mid-engined car like a Cayman and it could be badass
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #4556
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I can see the TT V6 market opening up now, even Kia is getting in to the game w/ the Stinger... and who knows what Toyota/BMW will be coming out with when they drop the Z4/Supra.

Shoot, don't forget the BRZ and GT86, even though they are on the low end of the spectrum, still fun cars to drive.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #4557
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I can see the TT V6 market opening up now, even Kia is getting in to the game w/ the Stinger... and who knows what Toyota/BMW will be coming out with when they drop the Z4/Supra.

Shoot, don't forget the BRZ and GT86, even though they are on the low end of the spectrum, still fun cars to drive.
Feels like thats been in the works forever.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #4558
sherob

Quote:
Feels like thats been in the works forever.
but it's finally looking like it'll happen!

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/bmw...-and-info-news

Old 09-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #4559
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
It's probably a very pretty paint booth though lol

I see what you're saying, and the big problem is the Miata. If you compete with it the journo's will call the miata the winner (or a close 'tie'). Going for the 370 is a better target for sure out of the two directions.

Going for the 370 opens it up to a lot of other comparisons with cars like the 2-Series, Cayman, Mustang etc. Something with weight around 3 - 3,200 lbs and a tt v6 would make a good splash in that segment.

I think a wheelbase around 90in would be a touch too small. Something around 100in would be a good compromise between something like a Solstace and a ATS/Camaro. I thought the Solstace and Sky were a bit too cramped inside.

Edit: i'm now seeing your thought for a different model under the corvette brand. Make it a smaller mid-engined car like a Cayman and it could be badass
Why not a 'tuner' style LTG powered Camaro?
The stock 2.0 is already more than the 370Z can hang with. Drop in the 2.5L (basically the same block) and some higher tier suspension goodies with the new goodyear supercar tires. The car is already @ 3200lbs and change, with some of the weight savings implemented elsewhere in the lineup already a 3000lbs 'LTG' camaro with 325hp 340ft/lbs is, I think, doable for the factory.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #4560
FenwickHockey65

T1XX SUVs to gain independent rear suspension.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4561
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...8-zora-expect/

Just saw this article this morning.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #4562
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
T1XX SUVs to gain independent rear suspension.
Thats a good improvement.
2016 Red Hot 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC, Nav, and Sunroof. VIN #115750
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #4563
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Happy Birthday Fen

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #4564
sherob

Quote:
Happy Birthday Fen
+1 hope you can celebrate w/ some cake today.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions