Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Question Clever Options For Reducing Exhaust Smell with Catless Headers

Hey all. Was wondering if anyone has any clever ideas for reducing the smell of exhaust from catless headers on our ZL1's. I've seen a number of people say they have had cats melt when running higher HP numbers, which I am. Maybe some don't, but don't really want to risk it. Also like the loudness and don't want to pay the extra cost to add cats in or have reduction in power.

The smell seems obviously is worst when any of the windows are down. Whats odd is that sometimes I can even smell it while driving. Having some sort of funneled air coming back up due to Bernoulli's principle or something? Having the vent on and windows up I usually can't smell it unless I'm idle.

When idling though with windows down the smell can be pretty annoying if the wind is right. I'm just wondering if anyone came up with any out of the box ideas to reduce this. I was thinking maybe some sort of fins that fit over the rear fascia where the exhaust pipes are to maybe funnel the smell out? Or even some way to reverse pressurize the cabin so air is always being pushed out of the windows when open? Maybe this could be accomplished by using a really good cabin filter and turning the vents on at medium to high speed? Or a fan near the exhaust blowing out? Also the placement of the exhaust pipes? When I got my headers installed I noticed it pushed my exhaust pipe out about 1-2". Could this be causing more of a smell?

If anyone has tried anything or has any tips for this other than "put the cats back on" I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Your best option is E85. No better smell.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
evonschu

Ugg definitely don't want to to do that.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
^^ Why not? Besides smelling better, it burns cleaner, the car will run smoother and cooler and you pick up power.

- Check for exhaust leaks by the headers and mid pipes.
- You can tune some of the smell out; how much depends on the cam overlap.
- I fabbed up some resonators that bolt in place the of the catless pipes to help tone down the exhaust, I think they helped cut down on the smell a little.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
[QUOTE=DrkPhx;9401725]^^ Why not? Besides smelling better, it burns cleaner, the car will run smoother and cooler and you pick up power./QUOTE]

Other than the initial costs, there are not negatives other that gas mileage.

-No cats here on E67 and no smell at all....and i gained about 50 more HP.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I'll be honest - the smell isn't noticeable in my car, except when I first start it up in the garage, or on rare occasions when the car is at rest and there is a slight tailwind. I'd first take a look to make sure that there aren't any exhaust leaks into the cabin. Leaks around the midpipes would be the first thing that I'd look for, and I'd also check the trunk seal to make sure that exhaust isn't coming in through the back of the car.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The old time racers used this when the exhaust was in the front of a rat rod etc car.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/plu-19769-32
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
evonschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
I'll be honest - the smell isn't noticeable in my car, except when I first start it up in the garage, or on rare occasions when the car is at rest and there is a slight tailwind. I'd first take a look to make sure that there aren't any exhaust leaks into the cabin. Leaks around the midpipes would be the first thing that I'd look for, and I'd also check the trunk seal to make sure that exhaust isn't coming in through the back of the car.
I'd assume if it was this then I'd smell it with the Windows up then. I've had 2 different shops look at the exhaust (JDP and PSI) during upgrades and neither noted any leaks.

The weird thing is that after this post I haven't been smelling it as much. I think its just when like you said there's a tail wind or if I'm on an up hill incline that the fumes are pretty bad.

The smelly grape stuff looks good but too much $$$ for long term driving. Good to know that's there though.

Still curious as to if moving the exhaust tips back at all might help? For those that have exhaust done w/o cats how far do your pipes stick out past the rear fascia?