Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #295
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Okay, now I know what he means by staying in boost, no lifting. That is cool. So what does the little toggle next to the B&M shifter do?
Reverse lockout. This transmission does exactly what you tell it to, and you certainly wouldn't want to put it in reverse at 80mph!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #296
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
and sometime forget to put the tranny back in first at a light... Have done that on a few cars in the past.
guilty as well. hahaha. Thanks Bruce. Robert and I are still planning that Florida trip to see you...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Awesome bro. I've been wanting this for months, but you beat me to it.
BTW...parts are on order for mine as we speak!

Quote:
Yea...the 4L80 is really the best of both worlds. You get the thrill of shifting without the clutch. The shift is immediate which means you can stay in boost as you shift.

With the shifter Kyle has you simply push forward to upshift and pull back to downshift. There are some things to learn to get to reverse and park, but it doesn't take long to get used to.
what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Kind of a Manumatic...
yea.. can you imagine if I had a PneuManumatic....

that would be

Lengen

waaaait for it....

Dary
Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #297
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Reverse lockout. This transmission does exactly what you tell it to, and you certainly wouldn't want to put it in reverse at 80mph!
Right... keeps you from going into Reverse or Park unless you push that lever....

but I also have another button for the LockUp, not shown in the pics,
Russ explain that... I have to run to a meeting..... haha
Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #298
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Right... keeps you from going into Reverse or Park unless you push that lever....

but I also have another button for the LockUp, not shown in the pics,
Russ explain that... I have to run to a meeting..... haha
The lever is for locking out reverse and park. The button on the handle and the button not seen in the picture (wasn't installed yet) is for locking the torque converter. These performance converters heat up the transmission (this is also why you want a transmission cooler). I honestly don't know the ins and outs, but I know if you don't have a lock up you'll have too much heat and horrible gas mileage. The lockup is for cruising in 4th gear. On a full auto transmission like mine the computer triggers the lockup (at 61mph in my case). In the 4L80 it can't be automatic. The black button on the side of the shifter triggers it. Obviously it could get tiring holding down that lockup button all the time on the freeway, so Owen installed a button next to the shifter for that purpose. You do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #299
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Oh wow! No, that would be bad. Thanks for explaining.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #300
garcmol

Quote:
do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Basically if it's locked and you try to stop it would lurch/bog down and die kind of like not pushing the clutch in before you stop? That would make sense.

Now with it locked, would that make the ratio 1:1 flywheel to 4th gear? Wonder if that's why the RPMs stay up and fuel mileage suffers. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #301
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
The lever is for locking out reverse and park. The button on the handle and the button not seen in the picture (wasn't installed yet) is for locking the torque converter. These performance converters heat up the transmission (this is also why you want a transmission cooler). I honestly don't know the ins and outs, but I know if you don't have a lock up you'll have too much heat and horrible gas mileage. The lockup is for cruising in 4th gear. On a full auto transmission like mine the computer triggers the lockup (at 61mph in my case). In the 4L80 it can't be automatic. The black button on the side of the shifter triggers it. Obviously it could get tiring holding down that lockup button all the time on the freeway, so Owen installed a button next to the shifter for that purpose. You do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Nope - you explained it perfectly...

Quote:
Basically if it's locked and you try to stop it would lurch/bog down and die kind of like not pushing the clutch in before you stop? That would make sense.

Now with it locked, would that make the ratio 1:1 flywheel to 4th gear? Wonder if that's why the RPMs stay up and fuel mileage suffers. I'm just thinking out loud.
Converter Lock = Clutch Engaged

The 4L80E's 3rd gear is 1:1 This is still an overdrive transmission. If it were say a Turbo 400, then 3rd is 1:1 and you get crappier mileage.

As far as stoplights, it is a "double-whammy" with a fully manual tranny. You must both shut off the lockup converter AND put the shift lever back in to first before you try to takeoff again. If not you will smoke the clutches/bands rather quickly and the converter will hate you.

Just 'cause I am a complete retard - the SST has a speed sensor in its transmission computer such that when you go below a speed setting (that we can adjust) it will automagically make sure your TCC and gear are reset.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #302
garcmol

I just am amazed by Kyle's, Russ' and Bruce's builds. I mean I never knew things like this existed until reading these build threads. Amazing!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #303
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
I just am amazed by Kyle's, Russ' and Bruce's builds. I mean I never knew things like this existed until reading these build threads. Amazing!
LOL...trust me...neither did I. In the beginning I was going to add an exhaust to my car and be done with it.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #304
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
dont forget Robert and brandi's twins.... read that thread if you havent yet!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #305
garcmol

I just figured out superchargers! But truly an awesome build Kyle.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #306
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
You have to read Robs thread. It's great to get the turbo perspective.

Kyle, I have not forgiven you... not yet... I loose one silly race to Randy on street tires and you bail on me ...

Is it Fest III yet???

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #307
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
You have to read Robs thread. It's great to get the turbo perspective.

Kyle, I have not forgiven you... not yet... I loose one silly race to Randy on street tires and you bail on me ...

Is it Fest III yet???

no no... just a change of pace.. but it is a PROVEN fact that I am faster with an Auto than a Manual. hahahaha
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #308
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins