Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Question Is This True (TUNE)

I have LT headers/hf, CAI, 3 inch catback and need a tune. I am trying to go with RDP but when I messaged he said this. What are your thoughts. The reason I wanna buy this is because it's $50 brand new. Please don't tell me to get a dyno tune, I'll do that when I get gears which is months away. The product is called 2010 Camaro Magnacharger SCT Handheld. I just wanna get a custom mail order tune and load it on my 2011 LS3.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Why would you go SCT? That's not the best way IMO, actually on LS1tech they tuned one with SCT, Diablo, HPTuners and EFILive and well SCT and Diablo were shipped back I would look into an EFILive AutoCal for email tunes.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Why does it matter though he's gonna do a custom tune and the device just for loading it onto car. Not really planning on adjusting any settings
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Why does it matter though he's gonna do a custom tune and the device just for loading it onto car. Not really planning on adjusting any settings
There's more to be offered in the AutoCal vs SCT tuning wise. Not so much on the device itself. It's your car your money just sharing a tip. You can't touch a custom HP tune and EFILive with an SCT tune. I agree with your tuner.

Best of luck on your choice.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
This will for sure make 62nalide go and at me for doing this, lol, but I'll be datalogging/tuning my new cam setup with a laptop and SCT X4 unit.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

I still don't understand what the difference would be if I loaded it onto car with this tuner vs hp for example. Wouldn't it be the exact same result?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
62nalide

Quote:
I still don't understand what the difference would be if I loaded it onto car with this tuner vs hp for example. Wouldn't it be the exact same result?
You won't find a detailed answer on here. Ls1tech has the most tuners and self tuning people and they will gladly give you a detailed response that you might not want to hear. Just go ahead and use the SCT it's best for you.

Let's just say it's like me taking a Samsung phone into an Apple Store and ask them how to work it. They might know but they are not the people I need to go see that can tell me part by part what is used and done.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

You said you agree with the tuner but either way he would be using an SCT X4 if I don't have the SCT X3
Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
62nalide

Quote:
You said you agree with the tuner but either way he would be using an SCT X4 if I don't have the SCT X3
If SCT is what you want go for it. I will and always have said it's not the best tool for GM. I've called out many people and builders to build a setup like mine using SCT software they will not touch my times that's a bet.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
The nice thing about the EFI is that you can datalog straight to the device. No need to have your laptop in your car.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
I have LT headers/hf, CAI, 3 inch catback and need a tune. I am trying to go with RDP but when I messaged he said this. What are your thoughts. The reason I wanna buy this is because it's $50 brand new. Please don't tell me to get a dyno tune, I'll do that when I get gears which is months away. The product is called 2010 Camaro Magnacharger SCT Handheld. I just wanna get a custom mail order tune and load it on my 2011 LS3.
Your tuner has a reason why he doesn't like this version of the sct x3. I personally don't understand why, but your tuner must have a good reason. Ultimately, it should work fine as long as you can plug it in to your ecu interface. All sct handhelds really are are flash drives that hold proprietary tunes from sct. Your tuner will most likely use SCT Advantage 3 to do your email tunes, which is basically the same as HPtuners and EFI. It has all of the same datalogging and editing parameters and its files can be saved to the x3 device. I personally believe that Advantage 3, HPTuners and EFI are all as good as the tuner using them.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Also, what should I tell him for the tune, I don't really know much but I will say keep rev limiter stock and 91 octane, what else?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
How many months away are your gears and dyno tune? Have you considered just waiting for that? Why buy a canned tune now when you'll be dyno tuning in a few months? If it was me, I'd just wait and do it on the dyno. (Only pay once.)
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
How many months away are your gears and dyno tune? Have you considered just waiting for that? Why buy a canned tune now when you'll be dyno tuning in a few months? If it was me, I'd just wait and do it on the dyno. (Only pay once.)
No maybe like a year I don't wanna wait. And it's custom, the one that comes on a tuner is canned