Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
DrewJitsu

Drives: ZL1, 2012 3500 Duramax Dually 4x4
Supercharging my L99 V8, need help and opinions

I am new to these forums but there seems to be a wealth of information so bare with me if i'm clueless on some things, or if I posted this in the wrong section.

Anyways, I sold a vehicle so i could do some 'upgrading' to my L99 V-8.

Give me your opinion on what's next, or what i'm missing. I want it to have alot of power but still be good for everyday driving.

Things i will have installed over the next 7-10 days:

Magna Charger MP2300 TVS supercharger/polished
K&N Cold Air intake
Kooks 1 7/8 LTH with High flow cats
Corsa cat-back w/ x-pipe sport
Pfadt adjustable coilovers (will be lowering vehicle 1")
22"x10.5" rear wheel with 315/30/22 Pirelli Pzero Nero
22"x9" front wheel with 275/35/22 pzero nero

I have several questions if someone has the time to answer any of them:

Is there anything critical i am missing in this setup? am i making a mistake somewhere?

Should i do a tune? Would you?

What type of rwhp do you think i could expect with or without a tune?

Do you think i will get wheel hop with larger rims? Would sway bars help to correct this, or should i put the factory 20's on when i want to race friends?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

My first camaro by the way, i love it!
DrewJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You need a full drag kit to help you get all of that power to the ground. Contact Pedders and get a kit from them.

I expect that you will see some difference in the ride between 20s and 22s. I'd stick with 20s, but that's your call.

You absolutely need a tune. Get a tune when you get it installed. If your shop does not do tunes, find another one to do the install. This is very important! If you fail to tune your Camaro, you could have catastrophic problems with your supercharger.

Finally, your intake may not fit with your supercharger because the air will be going to a place different from stock. All intakes are designed with stock points in mind. It is possible that it fits, but I'm not holding my breath.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
DrewJitsu

Thanks for the info Blur, i will take a look at Pedders site.

I know that the chip has to be sent off to Magnuson to tune it for the supercharger but wasn't sure if i should still tune it afterwards for the extra hp.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You need a full drag kit to help you get all of that power to the ground. Contact Pedders and get a kit from them.

I expect that you will see some difference in the ride between 20s and 22s. I'd stick with 20s, but that's your call.

You absolutely need a tune. Get a tune when you get it installed. If your shop does not do tunes, find another one to do the install. This is very important! If you fail to tune your Camaro, you could have catastrophic problems with your supercharger.

Finally, your intake may not fit with your supercharger because the air will be going to a place different from stock. All intakes are designed with stock points in mind. It is possible that it fits, but I'm not holding my breath.
exactly what he said. Custom dyno tune for sure. Might be a tune that comes with the kit but I think I would do a custom tune. I'm not so sure that CAI will work with the supercharger either. I would stick with 20's but would go wider. Like 20x9 front 20x11 rear. 275/40zr20 front, 315/35zr20 rear. suspesion choice looks good but I would add HD control arms to eliminate wheel hop. Header choice looks good too. I would add a auxilary transmission cooler, 160 thermostat and oil catchcan. These are preventative items to things like detonation and tranny failure.How much rwhp it makes will be up to you on how far you want to push it. Keeping it in conservative and safe tune low boost you could see 500rwhp. Good luck and it should be a great ride after completion.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
8lbs should get you 500HP, you will need a tune and get AFM turned off. You also might want a more agressive tranny tune. Personally I think 22's are too much but that's more of a cosmetic issue, wider tires might be in order it's hard to get hooked up with 500PH on these stock tires. I think the camaro looks perfect with 20's.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
DrewJitsu

Thanks for the information Vader, i ordered the transmission cooler, oil catchcan, and 160 thermostat.

John, we can turn off AFM, or just Torque management? I would really like to be able to do this with a tune! I was hoping for around 500 rwhp on 6 but i think your estimate is more accurate.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
turning off the AFM or displacement on demand will stop it from going into 4 cylinder mode and with headers everybody says the sound/drone is bad. I didn't see any reason to keep AFM on with a supercharger and headers. The torque management is for the tranny you can get a tranny tune for quicker shifts. Not sure if disabling torque management all together is a good idea. After my tranny tune the shifts are quicker and harder but I am not sure if they turned it completely off or not. You are in texas, seems to be lots of shops doing camaros in texas so you should be able to find a good shop that can do a nice tune for your setup.

My setup is pretty similar to yours so with 8 lbs you should be at 500 RWHP. Have fun and take it easy for a while until you get used to the power, there is a big difference between 500 RWPH and the stock camaro, you can get sideways at 60 MPH if you are not careful.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
pm sent
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
The problem with the tune that comes with the maggie is that it doesn't account for other modifications. Add a cai, LT's etc and the tune will be off. With the maggie tune you'll probably be around 460-470rwhp. With a custom tune it should bring it up around 500+rwhp.

Hmmm..I was just going to tell you that you didn't need the 160 thermostat, but that's a personal choice. These engines seem to work better and make more power when warmed up.

For CAI I would look at ADM's or maybe rotofab.

Not to keen on the 22's, but like someone said that's a personal choice. I don't like the look and it will slow you down and make the ride harsher.

Yes, you can turn off AFM and torque management with a custom tune. I would recommend talking to Ted at Jannetty Racing in CT. Even though you are in Texas he has no problem talking to people and making recommendations and giving advice.

Just for you to see about where you should end up, here's the thread on my car :

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...street+brawler
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I would take the car to Andy at ADM and have him do the work and get parts from him. He is a great guy and will take care of you. Stay with the 20" size.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
DrewJitsu

Thanks again everyone, good information! This site is a great resource.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJitsu View Post
Thanks again everyone, good information! This site is a great resource.
You have several excellent shops and tuners in TX. Let them install it and tune the car right there. Forget about sending your PCM to maggie.

As was stated, with lowering and 22" your kidneys will hate you. You feel every little bump on the road.

Again stay with a reputable shop like ADM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
dont forget!

you wont go far on stock axles with that tq youll have!! we have a member sale right know our pro level 300m kitt $1675!!! Good luck with your build it looks very simular to mine
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l99, performance, rwhp, supercharger, tune