Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
MarsMan
Camaro on Mars

Drives: Black 2011 LS
Onstar FMV for Camaro's without Bluetooth?

This may have been covered somewhere, but I cannot find this topic covered anywhere...even on other forums or Onstar's own web site.

I have a 2011 Camaro LS, which, I'm sure you all know comes with only the most basic of features. We miss out on a lot, one of which is bluetooth phone control There are threads which cover replacing non-bluetooth Onstar modules with those with bluetooth, but that gets complicated as you cannot directly order the Onstar module. If you happen to find one and install it, you'll end up with two cars under your Onstar account because you cannot transfer Onstar modules.

Anyway, Onstar is now offering a new product called FMV (For My Vehicle) which is an Onstar enabled mirror ($299 + $100 installation) which can be installed on just about any model car. The mirror has Bluetooth. How/why Onstar would offer this to other makes and models, while simultaneously making it damn near impossible for GM car owners is beyond me, but I am wondering if this would be capable of installing in a GM car, particularly my Camaro. For all those looking to add Bluetooth to their Camaro's, this sounds like really good news to me. No more scrounging eBay looking for Onstar modules they may not even be able to isntall. Thoughts?
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Bubba_Bee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Transformers
Would that still give you two onstar accounts, I don't know but I would think by doing that your camaro would now have two and you would have the opposite problem as if you just replaced the module. Another thing to think about is I think that mirror is much bigger than that camaro's so it might be annoying if it's too big.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm guessing you bought your car new. If that's the case, why didn't you buy a car with Bluetooth already in it?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
MarsMan
Camaro on Mars

Quote:
Would that still give you two onstar accounts, I don't know but I would think by doing that your camaro would now have two and you would have the opposite problem as if you just replaced the module. Another thing to think about is I think that mirror is much bigger than that camaro's so it might be annoying if it's too big.
I'm guessing no. The new Onstar "mirror" is going to be sold exclusively through Best Buy and they also perform the install. I figure since it would be an official install/upgrade, it it's even possible, then my account would show just my VIN. The reason people were ending up with two VINs under their account is because you cannot transfer ownership between Onstar modules. You can swap them out, as long as the replacement is no longer active, but the VIN# is forever attached to that module. With the FMV, it's brand spanking new, meaning there are no VIN#s attached to it.

I also thought about the size it doesn't look that much bigger to me. Hard to tell from the pictures though. Even if it is a little bigger, I'll sacrifice that for integrated Bluetooth. It's pretty annoying to have to plug my phone in to the auxillary port or keeep buying Onstar minutes for hands-free speaking.

Quote:
I'm guessing you bought your car new. If that's the case, why didn't you buy a car with Bluetooth already in it?
I did buy it new, but as I mentioned in my original post, I have the LS. Bluetooth only comes standard on the 2LT and 2SS.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
He is correct. The LS did not have the Bluetooth as an option even in the 2011's

That mirror looks a lot bigger to me. I bought myself the tomtom iPhone carkit. This thing rocks look it up and see if that'll work for you(if you have an iphon, that is). As i stated in another post my car will remain totally stock.
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Do you want to keep onstar, or do you just want Bluetooth? There is a company that offers replacement boxes, so you can have the built in bluetooth but no onstar
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
MarsMan
Camaro on Mars

Quote:
Do you want to keep onstar, or do you just want Bluetooth? There is a company that offers replacement boxes, so you can have the built in bluetooth but no onstar
I definitely want to keep Onstar. Automatic crash response, surrounding traffic incidents, my own number for my car, the ani-theft features, remote locking/unlocking from my phone and monthly diagnostics are features I do not want to part ways with.

I don't understand why Onstar made it so difficult to get Bluetooth. My mother's '05 Malibu can get Onstar w/Bluetooth, but my 2011 Camaro can't. There's something wrong with that picture.

Tags
bluetooth, fmv, onstar