Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #281
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
New ZL1 Prototype - Better looking hood.

From Road and Track Magazine - 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 “Track Pack”

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...zl1-track-pack

Very nice looking ZL1 with hood scoop instead of slotted vent! I guess they got the message that the woodchipper look is crap but with the scoop it okay!
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #282
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Done read all the posts! I think it is a ZL1 package for looks!
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #283
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Funny...that larger forward air intake could serve TWO purposes, for TWO different Camaros.

1) Air Intake for increased intercooler efficiency for ZL1

2) Air Intake for a normally aspirated "Z/28" with an LS7...

"Parallel development".

Hey, we can hope...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #284
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Already being discussed here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169612
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #285
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The original Z24 Cavaliers were, in fact, ALL V6s, through MY '94; '95-forward, 2.4L 4-cylinder (a coincidence).

The Cavalier Z22 sticker package was a 2.2 4-cylinder version (NOT a coincidence); its origins were as a "dealer-installed" tack-on, then taken in-house by GM.

The Z/28 Package re: '67 was simply the Package option code assigned...which became the Package "name/description". Much as the "ZL1" moniker of '69 was derived from the Corvette engine option code used in the COPO 9560 Package.

The first use, "publicly", of option code "naming" that I recall was the '63 Chev Impala "Z11", which also introduced what would become known as the Mark IV or "Rat" engine, but was simply then referred to as the "mystery 427".

Oldsmobile also used the RPO code "name game": W30, W31, W32; Pontiac's WS6 is another example.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #286
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That hood still doesn't look right to me.

#1 - It wouldn't work well...either to get air in, or to get it out.

#2 - look at the hole up front, it almost looks torn into the metal...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #287
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
The name Muscle car does NOT apply to a 307 1969 Camaro, nor does it apply to a six cylinder Chevelle.
Muscle cars must have ORIGINAL high performance engines to be classed a Muscle car.
A 1965 Chevelle SS with a 283 would not be considered a muscle car, Sport coupe, or collector car yes, Muscle car no.

Similarly, a standard V6 model Camaro is not a muscle car. This is the standard or base camaro and is a ponycar, but not a muscle car. The SS and the Zl1 would both be classified as muscle cars, as well as pony cars.

imho
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #288
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

The hood in MHO is counter productive.
To me, if you want to open the hood in the front by tearing a closed hood to open it up, why not close off the top deflectors as well?
Do one of the other but not both..

I can see it now.. People will see this pics and start ripping the front out of theyre new hoods...
Looks like mustang to me....sorry...
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #289
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
The hood in MHO is counter productive.
To me, if you want to open the hood in the front by tearing a closed hood to open it up, why not close off the top deflectors as well?
Do one of the other but not both..

I can see it now.. People will see this pics and start ripping the front out of theyre new hoods...
Looks like mustang to me....sorry...
If the scoop feeds the intake, the extractors on top can stay open to help cool off the engine. Yes, its an awkward setup. But it could work.

Then again, maybe they closed off the heat extractors and were just using an old ZL1 hood because it weighs roughly the same as what they want this new hood to weigh. Or perhaps they left them open, but plan on relocating them on the final version. Ah the joys of playing with prototypes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #290
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
Very nice looking ZL1 with hood scoop instead of slotted vent! I guess they got the message that the woodchipper look is crap but with the scoop it okay!
It still has the slotted vents, just added a hood scoop in front. Doesn't look right to me, gotta make up their minds lol one or the other!!!
I say Hood Scoop then have the extractors in the back
Old 09-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #291
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Look close it appears to be made of Fiberglass and the hoodpins are holding it to another "real" hood underneath. Plus where is the ZL1 aero? This is something else.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #292
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

With all respect, why do you think it wouldn't work well ?

The intake is on the high pressure side, thus decreasing the air pressure behind it along the line of flow... right in front of the extractor. Air will be flowing over the extractor, but at a lower pressure, thereby enhancing the extractor's effectiveness.

I'm sure in a finished model the slope between the two parts would be designed to create optimum effectiveness for the extractor and minimum turbulence.

I'm no expert, but I did get an "A" in my college Aerodynamics class - and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Also, the aesthetics of the scoop can be adjusted. This looks like an early proof of concept test. I bet there are pressure sensors inside there. (They wouldn't be very accurate with the mangled metal causing turbulence, though.)

As for the bent up metal... Shtuff happens. Probably the only prototype they had on hand got damaged, but it looks like they could have beat it out to straight, right?

I like mysteries.

How do you think it would look if they put some supports in there like Hannibal Lecter's facemask ?

Last edited by Scarrzz; 09-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #293
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Look close it appears there is a naca duct inlet in front of the rear wheel well covered by the black mesh.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #294
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
With all respect, why do you think it wouldn't work well ?

The intake is on the high pressure side, thus decreasing the air pressure behind it along the line of flow... right in front of the extractor. Air will be flowing over the extractor, but at a lower pressure, thereby enhancing the extractor's effectiveness.

I'm sure in a finished model the slope between the two parts would be designed to create optimum effectiveness for the extractor and minimum turbulence.

I'm no expert, but I did get an "A" in my college Aerodynamics class - and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I hope the Inn was nice....

I'm thinking under the hood logistics. Given how the extractors are set up under there, the proximity of the inlet to the extractors leads me to believe that there would be no way to effectively duct an intake tube to that opening AND leave adequate space for the extractors to pull air from.

And somebody suggested the intlet may not even be an intake opening - but a source of air-flow over the intercooler and out the cowl...good in theory, but again - with the extractors there, the air would be sucked in, and then blown right out the vents again. Meaning next to zero vacuum (and associated downforce), and very little airflow over the engine.

I don't pretend to be an expert...in fact - I know I'm NOT. But I build and design things (tinkering) pretty regularly...so I'm finding difficulties understanding how this could work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
How do you think it would look if they put some supports in there like Hannibal Lecter's facemask ?
It'd look freaking scary!!!