Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #29
Newcomer217

Drives: 2011 1LT (RS) Summit White 3.6
Thanks Camaro Dream07 for the tip.......An "Shadow" looks sharp as hell......
Newcomer217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
Newcomer217

Drives: 2011 1LT (RS) Summit White 3.6
Thanks Mulletman for the heads up.....
Newcomer217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #31
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Love the stripes

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #32
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
This weekend I used Adams Americana over the Machine superwax. It was easy to apply and get off. It looks great.

I also purchased the power stick and boars hair brush for cleaning my polished aluminum wheels. The power stick rocks. It lets you easily reach the inside of the rim and those hard to get areas. I have a belly that reflects my love for chicken wings and cheese cake. This makes washing the wheels a real pain. This tool makes cleaning the wheels much easier.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #33
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I live in apts too, and I use a do-it-yourself coin operated carwash. I bring my own stuff, soap, buckets, washpad, etc., just use their hose. That's my best suggestion.

If for some reason that's not an option, Its going to be nearly impossible to do a swirl-free wash without running water. Make sure you use plenty of good quality soap, and as much water as you can.

Prevention will be your best friend. Using a Cal Duster and waterless wash daily (and PROPERLY; refer to Junkman's vids on this) to keep as much dust off the paint as possible will help with their being less contamination to rub in once it's time to wash.

I wish you the best of luck but due to your circumstances, you're kind of fighting a losing battle. I really think you will be able to find a good do-it-yourself carwash though.
Dreams, I have to use the pay and spray car washes also. :( The Junkman videos show him drying the car with an electric leaf blower. Can't do that at a pay and spray. What's your drying technique? Thanks.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #34
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Dreams, I have to use the pay and spray car washes also. :( The Junkman videos show him drying the car with an electric leaf blower. Can't do that at a pay and spray. What's your drying technique? Thanks.
That's the major problem. There's no great way to dry. What I do is I pull the car out of the bay, and let it sit for a few minutes (but never in the middle of the day when it's hot and sunny). I know that you shouldn't let water dry on the car, but I have good results if I let some of it dry first. Then I give it a LIGHT mist with Adam's detail spray and slowly drag a waffle weave MF towel across the car to dry. My rationale for letting it dry slightly is that the less water is on the paint, the less I'll have to touch it to dry.

It'd be nice if they had a low, full stream setting so that you could do the sheeting method to get the water off, but that doesn't work too well with the options I have at my carwash.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I can come up with given the resources available. Plus it gives me something to blame when I see a small hairline scratch or swirl..."well it's not MY fault, stupid carwash "
Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #35
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That's the major problem. There's no great way to dry. What I do is I pull the car out of the bay, and let it sit for a few minutes (but never in the middle of the day when it's hot and sunny). I know that you shouldn't let water dry on the car, but I have good results if I let some of it dry first. Then I give it a LIGHT mist with Adam's detail spray and slowly drag a waffle weave MF towel across the car to dry. My rationale for letting it dry slightly is that the less water is on the paint, the less I'll have to touch it to dry.

It'd be nice if they had a low, full stream setting so that you could do the sheeting method to get the water off, but that doesn't work too well with the options I have at my carwash.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I can come up with given the resources available. Plus it gives me something to blame when I see a small hairline scratch or swirl..."well it's not MY fault, stupid carwash "
I blame Junkman for making me see the small scratches and swirls JK!

I've tried using the "Spot-Free Rinse" without pulling the trigger but, yeah, I still don't get a good low stream to get the sheeting action. Thanks for the advice. I will try it next time.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #36
Uncle Harvey

I know this may be nuts but anyone going to this effort to clean a car must be nuts anyway. I use a gas powered leaf blower at my house. Why can't you do the same at a car wash?

I used to have a friend in high school that just drove the car to blow the water off. You might miss a little but it seemed to work for him.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #37
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
I know this may be nuts but anyone going to this effort to clean a car must be nuts anyway. I use a gas powered leaf blower at my house. Why can't you do the same at a car wash?

I used to have a friend in high school that just drove the car to blow the water off. You might miss a little but it seemed to work for him.
That doesn't work for me all that well. And I really don't wanna haul a gas powered leaf blower in my car
Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #38
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
There are some cordless leaf blowers on the market now. Ryobi and Black and Decker have 18v that blow at 120mph and Makita has one that is blows at something like 180mph.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #39
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Never use a gas powered leaf blower to dry your car. The exhaust that they emit will land on your paint, a scenario that you do not want to happen. ALWAYS use an electric one.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #40
Uncle Harvey

I purchased one of the Ryobi battery powered leaf blowers. It was way too weak to do the job. I then switched to a gas powered one that does a good job. I trust the Junkmans opinion. But... I havent seen any issue with using the gas powered one. I usally hit the car with a little detail spray after drying because I think it increases the shine. I think this removes any gas residue but I could be wrong.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #41
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
I purchased one of the Ryobi battery powered leaf blowers. It was way too weak to do the job. I then switched to a gas powered one that does a good job. I trust the Junkmans opinion. But... I havent seen any issue with using the gas powered one. I usally hit the car with a little detail spray after drying because I think it increases the shine. I think this removes any gas residue but I could be wrong.
Just think about it logically. That exhaust has got to land somewhere and if you have to wipe it off the car, then you are touching the paint more than necessary. Remember, the less you touch the paint, the less opportunity there is for you to damage the paint. That was the whole purpose of using the leaf blower. By having to wipe down after using the leaf blower, you have nullified the advantage you had from using it.

I thought my whole detailing regiment through that way. It has to logically make sense for me to do it. No fluff, just meat and potatoes. That's how The Junkman rolls.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #42
Uncle Harvey

Dang it. I know what you are saying about the gas and touching the paint. You are going to make me get a third blower. Home depot will put me on the banned list if I take back another one. I guess I will shop at Lowes.