Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #701
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Congrats George, as long as they foot the bill for the original parts to be replaced you can start all over again. I know its a lot of work but I am sure you wouldn't be happy if someone else tried to replicate your work for you. I remember we mentioned back when we were talking about your dents in the fenders about what would happen if you should have an accident.Sure enough Murphys Law lol. This time when you're finished we'll keep our mouths shut, LOL
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #702
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Congrats George, as long as they foot the bill for the original parts to be replaced you can start all over again. I know its a lot of work but I am sure you wouldn't be happy if someone else tried to replicate your work for you. I remember we mentioned back when we were talking about your dents in the fenders about what would happen if you should have an accident.Sure enough Murphys Law lol. This time when you're finished we'll keep our mouths shut, LOL
I've already got a good jump on things. All the scoops on the facia are done, today I started on the lower grille/plate mount. I remember now why I said when I did it the first time, never again. It's a time consuming pain in the ass job, working with plastics is not as straight forward as with metal. I'll have it done by the weekend. I'm hoping the adjuster finishes documenting everything quickly so the body shop can tear into it. They aren't allowing for OEM parts, only aftermarket but the facia, grilles and anything I have modified I had them order OEM and I'll eat the difference because the aftermarket plastics are not the same, they really suck to weld. One thing we didn't catch on the initial inspection was the rear facia cracked in a couple of places where I welded on the pieces for the tail lights so I will have to deal with that but it's all good because now I'll finish them. lol

All my so called "friends" are ass holes. They're already taking bets on how soon it will get hit again once done.

On a side note a friend of mine bought a '17 ZL1. He had a clunking noise in the front end. He took it in and they found a nut backed off, he thinks they said it was the sway bar. All was fine for about a week and now something else is clunking, he came by today and had me take it for a ride to see what I thought it might be. I can feel it banging under the drivers seat and I'm thinking it might be the exhaust. Any ways, it's a manual, so after driving it for about 4 miles I remember why I got an auto, my ankle would be junk if I drove it any more, doesn't bend well after all the surgeries I had years ago in a bike accident. Even so it is quite a car, plenty of power, transmission shifts like butter, steering and braking is excellent, all the electronics and technology is much more advanced than on my 2010 but in all honesty, I like mine much better. I know I'm biased but mine feels much more like the muscle cars I grew up with and I'm glad.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #703
CFD

Started on the lower grille /plate frame before I tend to customer work, so looking at the original one I was trying to figure out how to make the new one look like the old one. The first one to say "why don't you smash it into a wall" is on my shit list.

The original one started out with an aluminum frame then went to the plate frame welded in so it's not as clean as I would like so I decided to go about it like this. I trimmed down the plate frame to the right size. Then I drilled a small hole in the center which was simple as it's got a dimple in the center from the molding process. Then I clamped it to a straight edge and using a heat gun bent it to the appropriate angle. Now using the center hole and the screw holes for the plate I could get a visual of the grille under it to position it exactly centered. Then I marked the outline of the plate frame.

From here I will remove the areas inside the outline to the correct depth to keep the plate mount flush with the grille then I will weld it in.

The first time I did it I considered it fun, this time it's just work but I have to do it as the final look is much better than the factory mounted plate frame.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #704
CFD

Trying to finish up the lower grill today. I'm finding it a bit challenging this time. Where as I don't have the car or the facia here to fit and measure things and also without the facia mounted to the car it's difficult to make sure everything is straight and the angles correct because the plastics are flimsy when cut up.

I cut a strip of steel to lay in between the grill slots to use as a guide for grinding the recess the plate mount will fit into. This makes it much straighter and cleaner than doing it by eye as I did the first time. I just need to trim the edges slightly to fit the mount and it's ready to be prepped and welded. I'm hoping that when it's finished it will fit right because all I have to go by is the original one but it's pretty mangled up.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #705
CFD

everything has been fit and positioned for welding. As soon as I run a few errands I will get it welded up. I sure wish the car was here with the facia on so I could double check fitment but not much I can do about it.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #706
CFD

Well I'm glad that's done, as I've said before, hope I don't have to do that again.

This one came out good with a small change. I recessed the plate mount a little more than previously. On the last one I had to notch the facia slightly to fit the plate cover, I'm hoping this time it wont be necessary but wont know until I try it on the facia. It sits flush with the grill but not sure if the grill sits flush to the facia. Never paid much attention to it and can't tell from pictures, regardless, it's done.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #707
davesnever

Looking good so far, I guess it's kinda nice to have a second shot at everything. Sometimes you get better ideas after you finish a project.I suppose you could think of it as Version 2.0
Old 06-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #708
CFD

Quote:
Looking good so far, I guess it's kinda nice to have a second shot at everything. Sometimes you get better ideas after you finish a project.I suppose you could think of it as Version 2.0
I guess but I'd rather be doing other things I have been thinking about instead of doing things over. I was satisfied the way it was but it is what it is.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #709
CFD

Here's another example of why insurance companies suck.

I posted the dash cam and security camera videos of the accident. It seems to me that everyone who has seen the videos can clearly see what happened yet the other insurance company sent me this today. If my company didn't finally approve my claim I would be up against his company on my own and would have to argue fault against them.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #710
davesnever

That's incredible, maybe they had to have followed you right up your drive and get hitched to your bumper before there is any owning up to the blame.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #711
CFD

Quote:
That's incredible, maybe they had to have followed you right up your drive and get hitched to your bumper before there is any owning up to the blame.
It is incredible. Insurance companies have so much money and power it's almost impossible to fight them. Even a lawyer wouldn't touch this case because without bodily injury there is nothing in it for them. To hire a lawyer and go to court would cost more than the repairs to the car, with bodily injury the other person insurance would be required to pay for attorney fees if the ruling is in your favor but not for property damage. The insurance companies are well aware of this so use it to their advantage.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #712
CFD

Finally everything is sorted out, I think/hope. The body shop has most if not all of the replacement parts in house and are starting in on the repairs, estimated shop time is 2-3 weeks then from there I'll get the suspension work and alignment done. Meanwhile I made a couple of templates for the DRL covers and ordered the smoked Lucite for them. I'm hoping to see it by the weekend so I can cut them out and decide on the best way to attach them. I didn't take any pictures but will soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #713
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Do you have a part number or fitting size that you used by the throttle body? Getting it drilled and tapped so that I can have a decent catch can setup.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #714
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
Do you have a part number or fitting size that you used by the throttle body? Getting it drilled and tapped so that I can have a decent catch can setup.
The thread size was 1/8" NPT but I made the fittings, they are pictured on pg26