Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
they had cheaper ones on there but its hard to get what u want to show up in searches sometimes another set i saw was going for 186 per caliper 4 piston calipers go for as low as 90 per caliper
The issue is if you are upgrading, not just replacing, you need the rest of the parts.....which is the Pace Kit....too bad you can't buy the Pace kit less the calipers.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
the rest of the parts are out there if you look. most can be had on ebay or amazon pretty cheap
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
speedmon

Quote:
the rest of the parts are out there if you look. most can be had on ebay or amazon pretty cheap
But how much are you going to save in comparison to the Pace Kit?
Is it worth the time consumed in the hunt? And the anxiety of not knowing if you have the right part of the proper quality that will hold together under heat and stress?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
right to travel

the part numbers are usually listed with the parts sold so all u need is a verified parts list. the savings are well worth the hunt down to me. i dont think a vendor is going to beat 236 per 6 piston brembo caliper
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
Synner

Drives: cars
Rotors/calipers/hardware will have me right around 900-950, then lines, pads and fluid. Not sure how I will color match yet. But that's almost $500 less, if that aint worth your time then you're too rich for me to understand your train of thought. Its all the same parts/quality so no risk as long as you buy the right stuff. The list has been posted a number of times on here.

And the pace kit less the calipers is just 2 rotors.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
speedmon

Quote:
the part numbers are usually listed with the parts sold so all u need is a verified parts list. the savings are well worth the hunt down to me. i dont think a vendor is going to beat 236 per 6 piston brembo caliper
OK...so add it on up?

Rounded:
Calipers: 240*2=480 (Does this include pins and clips?)
Rotors: 200*2=400
Pads: 200 (for mediocre ones)
Bolts: 20
Shipping: 100

=$1200.00? And I don't know if my kit is complete?

+ if you don't like silver...to change the color = $430 to have them repowdercoated.

=$1630
And you still have a "passenger car" kit.

For and additional $300.....you can have a full race spec kit that was engineered to hold speed and brake deep.

To me there is not much of a comparison.....even if you're using the CTS-Vs as dress up....cuz those Big Wilwood "look" more serious behind that wheel.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
Synner

Drives: cars
Your red wilwood aint gonna match your black stocker either. And it doesn't include lines. And 430 for powdercoat is nuts. Shipping if free for everything I've bought. I could get ZL1 directional offset vane rotors and still be hundreds less.

But really I'm not sure what the big deal is, buy whichever you want. They're both good and really not that different.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Where did u hear that they were gonna offer the Camaro ZL1 brakes SS a conversion ?
The front ZL1 brake kit calipers for the 1LE/SS will be red which matches the 1LE rears which are the same brakes as the ZL1 rears. All according to the performance catalog.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
right to travel

while those number are accurate for buying stuff for the first price you find out there they do not reflect the prices of looking for the best price out there. the 240 per caliper was what i found as a quick example it can go lower. rotors start as low as 110 apiece some even slotted and or drilled. pads yea those can vary alot so 200 for a set of 4 is a good number. bolt kits 20 is about right. shipping FREE!!!!! 100 is a bit ridiculous but plausible to see someone ask for it. the link i posted was for a set of yellow ones not silver. red blue orange and black are available so the 430 for powder coating is insane and unnecessary.

as far as level needed the wilwoods are awesome but i wouldnt call the cts-v z06, zl1 kit parts passenger car kits. overall all im saying is if u want the wilwood ctsv zl1 zo6 or zr1 kit get it, and what one pays for it is not of my concern im just saying is that they can be gotten for less that what is generally advertised. that can be said about any commodity on the the market.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Keep in mind guys that it costs so much because your getting OEM parts from GM. Things like pads, pin kits and rotors can be found for much better prices than what GM or most parts places wants for a set from GM. You gotta look for the best alternatives!
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #39
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Your red wilwood aint gonna match your black stocker either. And it doesn't include lines. And 430 for powdercoat is nuts. Shipping if free for everything I've bought. I could get ZL1 directional offset vane rotors and still be hundreds less.

But really I'm not sure what the big deal is, buy whichever you want. They're both good and really not that different.
Well then maybe you've never done it before.
I have with 4 and 6 pot calipers and thats a valid price.
When you lean on calipers they have to be rebuilt and sometimes "recolored" and re-labeled and quality is expensive.

I do think the CTS-V calipers are a good upgrade (color aside), I would just never do it, because for the street its just a "look" and I can get the 4 piston ones to perform just as well, with the right pad material.

Even the folks that I've seen at the track with the CTS-Vs dump those calipers and rotors for a real big brake kit (Brembo GTs or Wilwoods)

And its difficult to compare the $100 two piece "look" rotor to a real two peice rotor. The structure and quality is so different....and Have you seen Brembos 16 inch Rotors......those things are MASSIVE!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #40
speedmon

And if its lust looks you're going for I think these came out pretty tight.
Functional too....we'll really see when I put some punishment on em this weekend at the track. But rotors, pads, caliper powdercoating(all 4)...was like $1500 including labor....its not cheap to make sh*t work and look good.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
Todd TCE

Drives: Wells Coyote
I'm certainly not going to get into a pissing match over what option is "better" as that largely depends upon what you quantify as better than something else...Clearly you have some valid options as others have pointed out.

I've seen some of the listings for the V front kit and it's a fine option for sure. But a number of the links seem to leave out certain items...that to me is false advertising. Most buyers expect all the parts to be included and no need to shop other suppliers or click a second box for something like brake pads. Maybe I just expect to get a complete kit as that; complete. About the only two things that should not be included are brake fluid and labor. (mainly because UPS goes nutso over a potential leak..don't ask!)

I'd be glad to quote anyone at competitive price points for their Camaro needs. And have no problems fielding the technical questions about the product and options along the way.
Todd TCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #42
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
In the end, just like most everything else debated on a forum, it's all personal preference. There are other threads here (from vendors no less) stating that they RACE with the CTS-V brake kit.

It's also been noted that the stock brakes work well and simply using a quality fluid will eliminate the brake fade issue. Upgrading to a quality pad will also increase performance.

Funny how every question here becomes a pissing match over what is "better" or who is "right".

It's your money, spend it how you like.

Last edited by JimE; 11-01-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote