Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
High Iron in Oil Analysis

Hey guys, looking for some thoughts on an oil analysis I had done at Blackstone. I attached the report. They indicated high iron in the oil possibly due to wear.

My car is a 2014 SS with LS3, 33k miles. I bought it at 26k miles. Dealership changed the oil (I would assume they would have used proper GM recommended oil, and I should mention it was a Chevy dealer). So, this is my first oil change on the car. I did one night of test and tune drag racing, and other then some spirited driving here and there, I take it pretty easy 90% of the time.

I can't say anything seems wrong, nor are there any weird noises. Since I bought the car used, I thought an analysis could give me a heads up if anything was neglected or needed servicing... Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Attached Images

4WDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
What I would do... change oil now yourself with top quality stuff and WIX xp filter, install magnetic drain plug. Oil wise something like...Amsoil signature series, Driven, Redline, LAT... there are a dozen or more top quality synthetic high anti wear/but still detergent oils that are awesome. Pick your favorite color bottle. Avoid EPA oils (low phos/zinc), racing oils (zero detergent is why)... An EPA oil works great for newer grocery getters, racing oil works great for race cars... you want a street performance synthetic. In 10w30.

Then you know for a fact iit s has good oil, top quality filter, and a drain plug that will really show metal coming apart.

3000 miles later pull the drain plug yourself, check for chunks, small little ball of fuzz is normal. Cut the filter open... a little glitter is fine, chunks and shavings bad. Send in another analysis... if something is really going wrong the steel will be way up. Steel then shows as down...your engine likes the better oil and filter.

Those ppm readings can be deceiving. When measuring nano particles by the millions... slight variation is nothing.

Example... In my 1LE with a catch can. 3000 miles of putzing around on the street, the catch can will have a tablespoon or two of dark oil in it. No glitter. One hard track day, 6+ 20 minute road course sessions in high heat... can has probably 3x that much oil in it and a bit glittery. I've had many cars, they all do that exact same thing. Hard use does cause an increase in "stuff" in the oil. But it's nothing. There are tons of parts in an engine that just shed a bit.... and under extreme loads shed a bit more. A lifter, cam, bearing... problem is very obvious. Not just a few nits higher of something in the measurements of millions. And something really going wrong, you'll hear knocking and that filter will be loaded with metal crap along with stuck on the drain plug.

If you want to look even sooner...put that magnetic drain plug in... give it a few days of really pushing it hard. Pull the drain plug back out, thumb the hole. Magnet clean...you're fine.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
I appreciate the comment. Since I already did my oil, I threw away the old filter, otherwise if I would have known, I would have kept it and took it apart. I went with Valvoline Dexos 5w-30, which to all my research meets all the requirements for the LS3. Just happened to be on sale and slightly cheaper than the Mobile 1. I installed a Mobile 1 filter though. The magnet drain plug is a great idea, I'll be looking for one.

Further, I ended up calling the lab that did the analysis. They are awesome! Super helpful and knowledgeable. They basically suggested a very similar plan. They could not off much suggestion on what may be causing it, I suppose that is understandable since it could be a multitude of things.

Not too familiar with catch cans, do you think that may help catch some contaminates as well? Or do you just bring it up as an easy way to check your oil cleanliness?
4WDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote