Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #15
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVracer View Post
First of all as long as he keeps the brakes within the threshold and doesn't lock the brakes (better than ABS), a normal summer tire will do more than enough to keep him from hitting someone. Anyone that says any different is either ignorant or was excessively speeding. On top of that, when you brake a car, the center of gravity is shifted forward, putting more weight on the front tires and less on the rear. This is why people who brake excessively in turns experience a lot of oversteer. Due to this, front tires do not have to be as sticky as the rear unless he is trying to track the car heavily, which he already said he wasn't. I have personally held my brakes at threshold from a 130mph pull and never lost traction w/ all weather tires in the middle of November. Stop spreading stuff on the internet that you know nothing about. Thanks!
Thanks for doing my job and showing everyone your lack of knowledge.

Straight line traction has nothing to do with under steer, over steer, or handling balance, not that you knew enough to even comment on that. You must be a drag enthusiast.

The weight transfer is basic physics, however that has nothing to do with tire compound or matching traction front to rear. Since the front tires do the majority of the braking, they should have equal or greater traction than the rear. There is no magical weight transfer god that will make shitty tires have the same traction as good tires. This is not a thing.

Braking will not induce over steer in a factory car. Stop spreading bs that isn't real. Factory brakes have a heavy front bias and will induce under steer.

Congratulations. You slowed down in a straight line. Now time it and compare with a car that runs performance tires on all corners. There is NO comparison. If you actually drive at 130, I suggest you consider purchasing sticky front tires so you can maneauver and slow down effectively.

If you are trying to convince yourself that it is safe to run drag tires in back and normal tires up front, fine. That has nothing to do with what I have said. All of my comments relate to reality, performance handling, and being safe as possible. I do not care about drag races or how you limp around to the track. I am solely focused on vehicles that stop quickly and handle properly and with a neutral handling balance.

Stop trying to mislead people. You clearly have a limited knowledge base and are unfamilar with how vehicles should operate. Just because you drive so slowly that you don't see or notice the risks of what you are proposing does not mean the risks are not there for others.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #16
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjon77 View Post
Man.. I’m not having a good time finding tires
In my vette it was so easy , s-04 pole positions or mpss all day long.
My Camaro is 2013 2ss, 20 in stagger setup
Keeping stock fits
My options are -
Nitto 555g2
Firehawk Indy 500

What the eff?.. how can that be it?
The oe are the same price as mpss and don’t come anywhere near it performance wise, so I’m not into the pzero
And I do max summer only 24/7

Am I missing something ?
Mostly I look for a rock sidewall and sticky soft compound

The 555’s are at my shop, I’m trying to find something better
The NT05 loooked like the ticket, but they don’t make the fronts
Where are you finding MPSS for the same price as Pirellis? I got my 275/40-20 Pzeros for 175ish, similar prices are all over the internet. I really enjoy the predictability and smooth breakaway characteristics of the oem Pzeros. I use Metzelers exclusively on my motorcycles for the same reason. (Same parent company)

I'm also looking for a very hard sidewall and sticky compound, I haven't found anything great yet. Most tires in our sizes are very pedestrian and not performance oriented.

I use a square setup for optimum performance and to reduce understeer, it made a substantial difference.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Thanks for doing my job and showing everyone your lack of knowledge.

Straight line traction has nothing to do with under steer, over steer, or handling balance, not that you knew enough to even comment on that. You must be a drag enthusiast.

The weight transfer is basic physics, however that has nothing to do with tire compound or matching traction front to rear. Since the front tires do the majority of the braking, they should have equal or greater traction than the rear. There is no magical weight transfer god that will make shitty tires have the same traction as good tires. This is not a thing.

Braking will not induce over steer in a factory car. Stop spreading bs that isn't real. Factory brakes have a heavy front bias and will induce under steer.

Congratulations. You slowed down in a straight line. Now time it and compare with a car that runs performance tires on all corners. There is NO comparison. If you actually drive at 130, I suggest you consider purchasing sticky front tires so you can maneauver and slow down effectively.

If you are trying to convince yourself that it is safe to run drag tires in back and normal tires up front, fine. That has nothing to do with what I have said. All of my comments relate to reality, performance handling, and being safe as possible. I do not care about drag races or how you limp around to the track. I am solely focused on vehicles that stop quickly and handle properly and with a neutral handling balance.

Stop trying to mislead people. You clearly have a limited knowledge base and are unfamilar with how vehicles should operate. Just because you drive so slowly that you don't see or notice the risks of what you are proposing does not mean the risks are not there for others.
Where are you getting your information? The internet? If you think that weight transfer of the vehicle doesn't induce oversteer or understeer then you are clearly an idiot, especially in a factory car that has a soft suspension. Did I say a shitty tire will perform as good as a good tire? No, I clearly stated that a normal summer tire will suit his needs. Braking in a straight is easier yes, but you should only trail brake while in the middle of turning at the max. You are one of those people who tracked his miata once and thinks he is a pro. Go home, you're butthurt.
2011 IOM 2SS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8 longtube headers no cats, ported and polished TB, Hurst short throw shifter, Diablosport Trinity, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings w/ 315s on the rear, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. Tuned by me

Last edited by WVracer; 02-18-2018 at 09:00 PM.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVracer View Post
Where are you getting your information? The internet? If you think that weight transfer of the vehicle doesn't induce oversteer or understeer then you are clearly an idiot, especially in a factory car that has a soft suspension. Did I say a shitty tire will perform as good as a good tire? No, I clearly stated that a normal summer tire will suit his needs. Braking in a straight is easier yes, but you should only trail brake while in the middle of turning at the max. You are one of those people who tracked his miata once and thinks he is a pro. Go home, you're butthurt.
Thanks for making a fool of yourself again, I'm having fun watching you try to discuss things you are unfamiliar with. You should read the cornering bible by keith code, it related to motorcycles and is old news, but it will probably blow your mind.

I've been riding motorcycles and racing cars for years, never had a problem outrunning the radio. I do not gather my facts from idiots on the internet, but have worked professionally as a mechanic at a high end shop and set up my personal race cars for years. I suppose real world experience means nothing to you, if you had any experience regarding vehicles handling at the limits you'd be able to understand what I have said.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
TWOFORTYZ

@wvricer You don't even know what trail braking is. Go pound sand.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #20
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Thanks for making a fool of yourself again, I'm having fun watching you try to discuss things you are unfamiliar with. You should read the cornering bible by keith code, it related to motorcycles and is old news, but it will probably blow your mind.

I've been riding motorcycles and racing cars for years, never had a problem outrunning the radio. I do not gather my facts from idiots on the internet, but have worked professionally as a mechanic at a high end shop and set up my personal race cars for years. I suppose real world experience means nothing to you, if you had any experience regarding vehicles handling at the limits you'd be able to understand what I have said.
So you are getting all your info from a MOTORCYCLE BOOK. That is a completely different animal. What did I say that made a fool of me? Show me, what I said that isn't true in that post. What high end shop did you work, for just curious? I'm so glad that you are trying to tell people how to race a car based on your experience from riding a moped around town to deliver pizzas. Once again, actually know what you are talking about before you speak, because I can guarantee you that what I said is factual. Bye Felicia.
2011 IOM 2SS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8 longtube headers no cats, ported and polished TB, Hurst short throw shifter, Diablosport Trinity, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings w/ 315s on the rear, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. Tuned by me
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #21
InfernoB

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
As the late Rodney King said… Can't we all just get along?
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote