Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Check headers before install

Have been chasing an exhaust leak. Tried 2 different gaskets as well as copper spray on the second gasket. Finally took the headers off and realized the flange was warped. Well known brand. I Should have checked before install, lesson for next time. Hopefully I can save someone from the same headache
Attached Images

Last edited by Evansa22; 08-28-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Evansa22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
That sucks. Shit happens, hopefully the mfg is taking care of it!
Old 08-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Which manufacturer? Could help someone else out if we know which one to look for.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Which manufacturer? Could help someone else out if we know which one to look for.
Not trying to throw anyone under the bus. Like he said sh1t happens
Old 08-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #5
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
The same thing happened to me in the past. There is a gasket you can buy that would compensate for the wrapped flange if the manufacturer won't help you out. I will find the name of the gasket and post here

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
Wuiquen

Remflex Gaskets

Old 08-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #7
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
The same thing happened to me in the past. There is a gasket you can buy that would compensate for the wrapped flange if the manufacturer won't help you out. I will find the name of the gasket and post here

Thanks, I have high temp gasket maker that would probably work but I'm most likely gonna have it decked
Old 08-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Quote:
Crap happens. Since we don't know which brand I guess we should just all keep an open eye. Particularly when bolting them up. the thing is that a lot of us are looking for complete street performance from our Camaros. So buying headers is always gonna potentially have some issues.

Cosmetically they might look nice. So just be sure to check fitment regardless of the brand. Perhaps it would be a good idea to always check in general.

Casually looking them over is always a good idea. Sure you might think they're fine because they are a well know company. Popular companies do have issues too.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
Evansa22

Like I said, I won't throw anyone under the bus.
It what it is, just have to deal with it, although those remflex gaskets do look promising. Thanks again Wuiquen
Old 08-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #10
Wuiquen

Quote:
It what it is, just have to deal with it, although those remflex gaskets do look promising. Thanks again Wuiquen
They are. It fixed mine on another V8 and it is still going strong.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Casually speaking it isn't throwing anyone under the bus. You're not lying or making things up or exaggerating or adding to it. Nobody is out with pitch forks. But it might be a good idea for people to know in case this might be a bad batch they have. That way if people know to look for it then they might save themselves some headache from getting it all installed and then having to remove them. Especially if they have a shop do it and even more so if they have to cut up and/or modify the existing exhaust to make it fit. Someone could be out thousands of dollars and have their car sitting for days or weeks while they're trying to get another set. If they know to look for this then all that can be avoided. Again, it isn't throwing anyone under the bus. But if you don't wanna name them then that is your choice. I just hope nobody ends up in a situation where a shop is charging them extra money to remove the headers that were just installed and then install a completely different set.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #12
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Casually speaking it isn't throwing anyone under the bus. You're not lying or making things up or exaggerating or adding to it. Nobody is out with pitch forks. But it might be a good idea for people to know in case this might be a bad batch they have. That way if people know to look for it then they might save themselves some headache from getting it all installed and then having to remove them. Especially if they have a shop do it and even more so if they have to cut up and/or modify the existing exhaust to make it fit. Someone could be out thousands of dollars and have their car sitting for days or weeks while they're trying to get another set. If they know to look for this then all that can be avoided. Again, it isn't throwing anyone under the bus. But if you don't wanna name them then that is your choice. I just hope nobody ends up in a situation where a shop is charging them extra money to remove the headers that were just installed and then install a completely different set.
Well you nailed it so I'm not gonna go any further. This was a batch from March so most likely anybody who got the same either didn't have issues, or have already dealt with them.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:30 AM   #13
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Worthless post I'm afraid
Old 08-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Crap happens. Since we don't know which brand I guess we should just all keep an open eye. Particularly when bolting them up. the thing is that a lot of us are looking for complete street performance from our Camaros. So buying headers is always gonna potentially have some issues.

Cosmetically they might look nice. So just be sure to check fitment regardless of the brand. Perhaps it would be a good idea to always check in general.

Casually looking them over is always a good idea. Sure you might think they're fine because they are a well know company. Popular companies do have issues too.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote