Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Need help choosing a good cam

I am looking for the thread that had the dyno tests of different cam profiles?
I'm putting a cam in my 10 Camaro LS3 Manual trans. I've always have received good info on the forum.
I have 1 3/4' long tube headers (I know I should of went with the 1 7/8') full 3 inch exhaust, a CAI, it makes 407Hp and 409 ft of torque dyno tuned, I know I'll need a new tune after the cam swap.
I have the stock 3.45 gears but want to put the 3.90 gear in it with a ZL1 diff.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
HorsePowerAddicts

Drives: LSx Powered
Depends on how aggressive you want to go. We have mad 450-490rwhp cam only depending on cam/bolt ons.

Give us a call or send an email if you are looking to have a shop do the install. Or if you just need the tune after. We are not to far south of you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479757

(302)838-2188
Horsepoweraddicts@gmail.com
HorsePowerAddicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Tsp 231/236 cam. Sounds awesome pulls awesome and tsp has been great o deal with

I've had mine ( mine might be 232/236) for 6+ years
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts View Post
Depends on how aggressive you want to go. We have mad 450-490rwhp cam only depending on cam/bolt ons.

Give us a call or send an email if you are looking to have a shop do the install. Or if you just need the tune after. We are not to far south of you.

(302)838-2188
I had a 236 @.050 duration .488 lift intake and 244 @ .050 duration .510 lift, with 1,6 roller rockers in my 82 Z28, with a 4 bolt main steel crank,ported Dart ll heads and the rest of the good stuff on my first gen 350ci, and I loved it!
I've been a motor head all my life, I am an Auto Tech for 30 plus years, I do all the work on my Camaro's, I love it!
Now that cam was a flat tappet cam, on my 82 Camaro, but I know the roller cams are more aggressive though.
I'm looking for the most power and torque numbers without going to deep, I know that new springs and push rods are mandatory, as far as the fuel, I was told the stock pump could handle the extra fuel, but whatever you recommend I'm listening.
I just don't want to lose all my bottom end since it's my daily driver and I don't want to spend $300 in fuel a week! But hey, if I have to get what I want, I will!
I do go to the track, but it see's more street driving then the track.
So there's a summary of what I want, I love the sound of a cammed LS motor! But it's more then sound I want.
I will be in touch in the next few weeks, I just wanted you to know what I want, Thanks for your help!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
AV8RLEO

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS-RS, M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts View Post

(302)838-2188
I'll tag on here as well (sorry to steal your thread OP) but I'm looking for recommendations as well. I have a 2012 Convertible, 2SS/RS, LS3 with a 6 sp M/T. This Spring I'm planning to do CAT back exhaust.

My plan from there is to save up the money over the next couple of years and drop the SLP Supercharger on it with an improved cam. Some day I may do more head work to it but that will be a long way off.

Won't be a daily driver and won't be a straight track car either but just something to go have fun and do the occasional parade.

Thanks!
AV8RLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I plan on ordering my night fury cam from BTR very soon. If you haven't heard of this one yet, just do a search on here or Google. It will net you tons of threads covering every question known to man about it
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
go custom grind. Call a shop, tell them your end goals and let them tailor the cam specifically for you.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
10 2SS/RS 6M

I did hear the BTR Night Fury cam is a great cam, I thought it was Pat Tooley, not Brian Tooley from Lethal Racing, am I right? The specs look good, but I never heard of Cam Motion, who makes the cam. But it's not like I been looking either, but I can tell you all the cam manufactures when I was younger!
I just want to put the best cam profile to work with the mods I have, I may put a new intake manifold on it as well. I know someone who has a "FAST 102" manifold brand new, but I think it's for the cathedral port heads only? If it does work with my heads I'll probably pick that up if the price is right.
I do want some bottom end, but I like some mid and love top end.
I hear the numbers are higher then the stock cam from 2-3k rpm to red line, is this true? T
This forum has helped me a lot over the years, it's actually my favorite forum. I help as much as I can, I wish I could do more. I'm always willing to help someone in need.
I really do have to do some serious research in the next 3 weeks, because I been waiting to do this for 6 years!
SOLD.

Last edited by 10 2SS/RS 6M; 01-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Livernois 2c cam is what I've decided on , they do make a 2c high lift that's good for 15whp more but the lift is at .649" and would be harder on the valve springs
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Try to find a cam in the 22x intake Der and 116 to 118 lsa, the drive ability will be near stock with power gains almost identical to huge cam's that give poor drive ability
Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
10 2SS/RS 6M

[QUOTE=davidscamaro;9523051]Livernois 2c cam is what I've decided on , they do make a 2c high lift that's good for 15whp more but the lift is at .649" and would be harder on the valve springs

Do you know the specs on it, I'll sacrifice 15 HP if it kills the bottom end, due to being a DD.
I love the sound of the Night Fury cam though, but numbers speak louder then rumbles.
SOLD.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
I did hear the BTR Night Fury cam is a great cam, I thought it was Pat Tooley, not Brian Tooley from Lethal Racing, am I right? The specs look good, but I never heard of Cam Motion, who makes the cam. But it's not like I been looking either, but I can tell you all the cam manufactures when I was younger!
I just want to put the best cam profile to work with the mods I have, I may put a new intake manifold on it as well. I know someone who has a "FAST 102" manifold brand new, but I think it's for the cathedral port heads only? If it does work with my heads I'll probably pick that up if the price is right.
I hear the numbers are higher then the stock cam from 2-3k rpm to red line, is this true? T
This forum has helped me a lot over the years, it's actually my favorite forum. I help as much as I can, I wish I could do more. I'm always willing to help someone in need.
I really do have to do some serious research in the next 3 weeks, because I been waiting to do this for 6 years!
[QUOTE=10 2SS/RS 6M;9523096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Livernois 2c cam is what I've decided on , they do make a 2c high lift that's good for 15whp more but the lift is at .649" and would be harder on the valve springs

Do you know the specs on it, I'll sacrifice 15 HP if it kills the bottom end, due to being a DD.
I love the sound of the Night Fury cam though, but numbers speak louder then rumbles.
Yeah BTR. The night fury is one of the most aggressive cams you can get without sacrificing driveability. It consistently puts up good numbers and sounds amazing. One of the best shelf cams you can by in my opinion. But I think since you are looking for very particular things, you might wanna go custom grind that way all of the things on your check list will be hit, rather than here and there. Pat G I've heard will spec you an excellent custom grind cam for ~$25

Also, cam motion is supposed to be one of the higher end companies for creating the cam's due to the material being used. From what I've heard anyway haha.
Some reading material on Pat G and cam motion: http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Let's clarify a few things.

BTR is Brian Tooley Racing.

Pat G. is http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help

Lethal Racing is Out of business.

Lethal Racing designed and marketed the Night Furry Camshaft, the same profile can still be purchased by BTR.

Cam Motion is a top designer and manufacturer of LS camshafts.

FAST makes intake manifolds for all LS heads and several throttle body sizes.

I would suggest that you do a lot more reading and research before buying a bunch of mismatched parts that wont get you to your goals.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #14
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
I am looking for the thread that had the dyno tests of different cam profiles?
I'm putting a cam in my 10 Camaro LS3 Manual trans. I've always have received good info on the forum.
I have 1 3/4' long tube headers (I know I should of went with the 1 7/8') full 3 inch exhaust, a CAI, it makes 407Hp and 409 ft of torque dyno tuned, I know I'll need a new tune after the cam swap.
I have the stock 3.45 gears but want to put the 3.90 gear in it with a ZL1 diff.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I asked the same questions for about a year before I decided to go with the Brian Tooley Stage 3 N/A cam. I daily drive my Camaro and have very little issues with it bucking under low RPM's. You can check out my build thread, it has video, and hopefully it helps. Just skip to the very last page of my build thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=275478&page=7