Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
adjfire

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Angry AC Air recirculation doesnt seal "Smells like exhaust in the Car

I have a 2013 SS and when I drive down the road I can smell the exhaust from other cars. It doesn't matter if I am stopped or rolling. When i am on the highway alone I do not get the smell. Chevy and carmax have told me repeatedly that this is a known issue Camaro owners have to deal with. They also responded "Name one car that actually seals?" Uh my infinity never has exhaust smell in it! Once I pay this heap of junk off enough its going back for another infinity! Has anyone else experienced this problem. My car has been to the dealer for 8 days over two separate visits only to be told this is how the camaros are!

Last edited by adjfire; 08-22-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Proofing
adjfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
adjfire

Was going to buy a ZL1 but not taking a chance on that Abject junk!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I don't have the same experience as you with the exhaust smell. What were the two separate issues where you had to take your car to the dealer?
Also, your profile states you have a 2015 SS, not 2013.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Only think I ever smell are Mustangs Sh!tting themselves as I pass them.

On a serious note I don't know of anyone having the same issue, other than their own car smelling like it's burning a little oil or running rich.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
adjfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I don't have the same experience as you with the exhaust smell. What were the two separate issues where you had to take your car to the dealer?
Also, your profile states you have a 2015 SS, not 2013.
Both times I took the car to the dealer it was because of the exhaust smell coming into the car when the Recirculation cycle was selected. They told me they had to replace the actuators that close off the outside air. The second time they told me the actuators needed to be calibrated. When they gave me the car after the second visit they told me that this is a common problem with all cars and to name one car that seals! I can no longer hear the actuators close any vent. The same problem as the first time. Sooooo chevy declared this is what camaro owners are used to! Carmax where I bought the car (Still under warranty) claimed this is in the tech manual as something the owner should expect!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
That's bullshit, take it to another dealer
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Another one who hasn't had the issue; as long as my windows and sun roof are closed, no exhaust smells when AC is on recirculation. On a side note, I'd ask the person you spoke to at Carmax to show you where in the tech manual it states that this is something owner's should expect.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Another one who hasn't had the issue; as long as my windows and sun roof are closed, no exhaust smells when AC is on recirculation. On a side note, I'd ask the person you spoke to at Carmax to show you where in the tech manual it states that this is something owner's should expect.
Like Welker, I have no problem when AC is on recirc (MAX) setting. I don't have an issue with leakage on my 2014 Malibu either; only time I smell the outside is when I have outside air selected, other wise the recirc setting draws from inside air only. Your dealer and service department are giving you a truckload of bovine excrement! Take it to a competent dealership.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have had two 2013's one a V6 and one an SS, neither had this problem.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I've got a '12 that's catless and I don't have an exhaust smell with the AC on without the recirculation while going down the road

Only time I smell exhaust is in the winter when I gotta run the heat, then on recirculation it keeps the exhaust smell out
Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I don't think I've owned a car at all that smelled like exhaust with the A/C on, much less with the recirculation on

Especially going down the highway
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Since the dealer and GM doesn't want to take responsibility for this, I guess they won't mind your estate suing the living hell out of them when you get asphyxiated by carbon monoxide.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Not a Camaro issue, not an issue with mine, and never been an issue with any car I've owned. The dealer is full of shit that it's a common problem. Have him show you a TSB if that's so.....if it's under warranty, demand it gets fixed. Could be considered a safety issue.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Smells suspiciously like Troll now for some reason.......... I call BS........on Mr. 5 posts....If you have it on recirc. inside the cab you must have a stuck door in the vent system which is not likely, most likely you may smell your own oil burning off a engine if not taken care of well and leaking at high mileage or having had oil slopped over it, or your hyper sensitive to any exhaust smell that will be sucked into the car.

Coming here to complain to loyalists of the Chevrolet Camaro with Crap story about how you smell exhaust.....Trashing on our Namesake....NOPE on my Second gen 5 the first was a triple black SS vert....Maybe your getting Cancer or something and your body is trying to give you a sign...? Or maybe you can look through the door opening in the top of the firewall and actually watch the door seal when you remove the cabin air filter and try to investigate something so easy to look for yourself and see if there is a dead squirrel blocking the door or just a cruddy filter shoved in badly coated with crud..... Known issue my arse..... If its stuck you can show them, if not well your sealing in the smell and its recirculating inside the cab so you smell the same nasty smelling air over and over..... Maybe you can do that in a Infinity and do for Infinity so you don't have to have any mechanical aptitude such as changing out the cabin air filter yourself and have the dealer suck up to you at their lot and tell you nice stories......How about the one where the guy lived in car with recirc on until he died from lack of air....