Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
madmax13

Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Non-tune boltons?

What can I get away with without a tune? Don't ready to void my warranty... CAI, and that is about it?
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
From my experience.I had a 2011 1LT RS that i put headers etc.on and made absolutely no difference.I was told that it wouldn't make a difference til it was tuned and then all that was done would come into play.I wont do anything to my 1LE til it's paid for and i am willing to void the warranty with a tune.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
You'll probably get away with headers too.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Pretty much limited to an Intake, TB, catch can and cat-back. You can run headers without a tune, but will get a check engine light.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
madmax13

Thanks, guys. Was wondering about a TB, if it wouldn't help with throttle response if nothing else. Didn't figure that headers would do much w/o a tune, 5hp? Not worth it. Also heard that they can cause more issues than just a check engine.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
LTs you can feel on the LS3 with or without a tune 100% for sure. Also a good CAI setup you can feel by the seat of your pants.

I run CAI CAI, scoop, ported TB, Wedge (lol), 1 7/8 LTs, and high flow cats. All with no tune. Never had my 1LE on a dyno but I am sure I am over 400 at the wheels and have run as fast as 12.3 in the 1/4. I do get CELs but no harm done, I just read them and turn them off with a $50 code editor. The standard software will not let the car run lean. An annoyance but no harm to the engine. Later you can remove all this stuff and sell it if buying another car. And also turn off a CEL if present and your car is back to stock. Been there, done that.

With the above you can get Kooks "Green" cats and get very few CELs and possibly none. But they cost more.

A tune is more fun as you can turn off the CELs forever, get rid of torque management, raise the rev limiter, and lean out the fuel air mix for a little more power (5-10 RWHP). But of course the dealer will know, if they check.

If you do a cam, heads, superchargers or turbos, or NO2, then you must tune.

If you want the fastest 1LE you possible and have no CELs or warranty issues do this:
  • CAI CAI
  • Scoop
  • ARH shorties
  • Solo High Flow cats (ARH high flow cats?)
  • Ported TB

There is also a discussion of a Chevy head/cam combo that might be cool with the warranty, but still more to come on that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349523

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-09-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
madmax13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
LTs you can feel on the LS3 with or without a tune 100% for sure. Also a good CAI setup you can feel by the seat of your pants.

I run CAI CAI, scoop, ported TB, Wedge (lol), 1 7/8 LTs, and high flow cats. All with no tune. Never had my 1LE on a dyno but I am sure I am over 400 at the wheels and have run as fast as 12.3 in the 1/4. I do get CELs but no harm done, I just read them and turn them off with a $50 code editor. The standard software will not let the car run lean. An annoyance but no harm to the engine. Later you can remove all this stuff and sell it if buying another car. And also turn off a CEL if present and your car is back to stock. Been there, done that.

With the above you can get Kooks "Green" cats and get very few CELs and possibly none. But they cost more.

A tune is more fun as you can turn off the CELs forever, get rid of torque management, raise the rev limiter, and lean out the fuel air mix for a little more power (5-10 RWHP). But of course the dealer will know, if they check.

If you do a cam, heads, superchargers or turbos, or NO2, then you must tune.

If you want the fastest 1LE you possible and have no CELs or warranty issues do this:
  • CAI CAI
  • Scoop
  • ARH shorties
  • Solo High Flow cats (ARH high flow cats?)
  • Ported TB

There is also a discussion of a Chevy head/cam combo that might be cool with the warranty, but still more to come on that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349523
Thanks. What is a Wedge? I would be all over that head/cam package if it were warrantied, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Had a tune in my boosted goat, just don't want to mess with this car too much (so good out of the box).
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
save your money for some extra bling. Theres nothing wrong with leaving it stock.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
I would say a CAI...possibly a TB for better throttle response...

You can also do just the SOLO or JBA HFCs...a majority of people do not get a CEL just using them and it should free up some HP...

It sounds like you are hesitant so I would stick to things that can easily be changed back...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax13 View Post
Thanks. What is a Wedge? I would be all over that head/cam package if it were warrantied, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Had a tune in my boosted goat, just don't want to mess with this car too much (so good out of the box).
Here you go. I have one I couldn't resist.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/angling-fo...r-power-wedge/