Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you feel about people "misrepresenting" their Gen5 Camaros
Hate it! It's like lying to all who see it. 106 23.71%
Don't mind it so long as there is no false badging. 247 55.26%
I see nothing wrong with it/It doesn't bother me. 84 18.79%
If you can't afford what you really want... Fake it! 10 2.24%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Misrepresenting Your Camaro: Opinions

Just read Swanys 2SS's thread about putting Hot Wheels emblems on his 2SS Vert, and was wondering how people really feel about misrepresenting your car in general. I know, I know... it's the owners car and they can do whatever they want to it and I agree. Doesn't mean I like it or think it's right (or cool). How about you.

I know lots of folks with "regular" Camaros mod their cars with ZL1 front ends, or 1LE hood wraps and emblems, or ZL1 wheels/tires, and I've even seen a COPO style hood on a SS. I don't know... it just bothers me - false advertising in my book. Wannabes.

How about you. Really now, be honest.

(And yes, I have "retro" SS badges front and back on my 2013 Camaro 1SS, but I'm not trying to fool anybody into thinking it's a '69 Camaro... I just hate the new-style slanted badges.)
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Oh... and I'm talking about doing things that people can see, that makes the car appear to be something it isn't. Not talking headers, suspension upgrades, exhaust, etc.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Badges are 1 thing... If someone has an SS and badges it a ZL1, seems kinda funky, but to each his own. But am I supposed to feel like I shouldn't have installed ZL1 rockers on my 1LE? That's not misrepresenting my car. I think they look good. Same goes for people with ZL1 front conversions... It just looks good.

And I took the hood wrap off my 1LE. So am I misrepresenting it the opposite way?

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If someone wants to throw a different hood, front fascia, wheels, grille, etc. on their car that happens to be from a different trim level, I don't really care at all. Whatever makes you happy.

But if someone throws IROC stickers or ZL1 stickers on their V6, it just doesn't make sense to me, and thusly, I don't like it.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Same feelings here.....if someone for example cannot afford a ZL1 but wants the front end and looks of one, then so be it, but when they start putting false badges/emblems on the car, then it makes them a full on poser.
But who am I to tell others how to set their car up? It's their car after all, if they want to misrepresent their car, then more power to them...............poser......
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
I think the ZL1/1LE wheels are some of the best looking wheels on the market. That's why I got them. Now badging something your car isn't is stupid, that why I don't even let people know my car is a camaro lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
I was torn between "I don't mind as long as theres no false badging" and "It doesnt bother me". I voted for "no false badging", mostly because I would never "up-badge" any car (put badging from a higher trim level on a lesser car).... I have in the past "de-badged" some of the cars I built for the "gotcha" sleeper surprise effect on the street (I am a stinker).

Truth is, it's their car, so they should be able to do whatever mods they want to on it.

So...I have begun modding my current SS with an SLP front splitter and ZL1 rockers ad rear diffuser because 1.) I like them, and 2.) I dont care for the way the factory-offered ground effects look. 1LE wheels (polished FR41s) are in my future too... but no matter what mods I do, my car will always have the correct trim level SS badges on it.

[IMG][/IMG]
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I am in the "Hate It" category. On the flipside, I've seen well done exterior modifications with different camaro exterior parts that were integrated and/or adapted well. Cloning or faking (by putting parts and/or badges from another model) will always get failing marks from me. Its much better IMO to modify and improve a camaro model by basing it on its true origin.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
I am all about mods to make my car the way I want it, but I think putting badges on something that it is not is nothing new. Look at your older muscle cars and see how many say either badged or tribute to say an SS or Z-28, so it will happen anyway I voted no to badging
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
While I'm not a fan of "clone" stuff, I will admit to being guilty of misrepresenting cars:
Attached Images

2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
Ive looked at getting a ZL1 front end for my car, and may still yet if i can find the money. I dont know why anyone would get upset about it? Im not trying to make a ZL1 clone, hell given the money, a ZL1 isnt even what i would buy. But i like the way the front end looks.

It is nothing to do with cloning and everything to do with it looks good.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I don't agree with putting on a badge that misrepresents what you have, but other than that I say anything goes. Otherwise we would all be keeping our cars stock.

I don't even have an issue with rebadging as long as the new badge represents what has been done to the car. Say someone buys a non-RS car and later adds all the RS specific parts. It is for all practical purposes an RS now, so who cares how it left the factory? That said, they certainly need to be very clear what the car is when they sell it.

I'd say it is even more true for classics. If you are doing a ground up restoration on a 60's Camaro why wouldn't you make it an SS? If you are rodoing the whole car anyway the difference in cost wouldn't be that much.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
I'm with most people how I hate rebadging a car with ss/zl1/1le badging if you don't have the package I don't mind the front cover swap with the zl1 I think it looks very good and it's not like you're advertising it as a zl1. However with that being said I thought it would be funny if someone rebadged a 1000 hp ss as a v6 so when people talked crap about their car they would pull the ultimate sleeper on them.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
I DO agree with "debadging". Badging a car to a lessor model. It's more fun that way.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote