Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
hahnlogic

Drives: 2011 1lt RS
Cool New Project Idea... just need the starting point

Hello all, and thank you for any advice, or constructive criticism . Also hopefully I am in the correct place to post this new project idea, and I apologize if it’s not, this is my first post!
Starting with: 2011 1lt RS 3.6L with a manual Tremec TR-6060, and 80k
Problems with starting Camaro: Third pops out when not under-power, while in power it will stay in, so I am thinking the synchro’s or forks? (please advise, if you know anything)
So I am at a fork in the road, I really want to do another project (built a kit car cobra from the ground up, before). I want to make a sleeper, which will be good for “possible” daily driver, or take it on track/strip. Money really isn’t a problem, but would like to save it where I can.

My initial thoughts were to do the following…

Pull drivetrain (engine, trans, diff, ecm, tcm) out of starting Camaro and swap it with a donor wrecked/salvaged zl1 or z/28 drivetrain (engine, trans, diff, ecm, tcm), but reading countless posts everyone has said, to start with a v8 Camaro first, correct?

So then if starting with a v8, I can possibly talk to my friend at the dealership and have him get my a high mileage 2ss and start with that depending on what the community thinks.
So regardless, my biggest question is the drive train swap. Is if I have a zl1 or z28 that is salvaged (hopefully backend damage),

1.)How much modification to the car needs to be done, other than pulling complete drive train, and computers?

2.)Also will there have to be any modifications to wiring harness if I am able to salvage them out of donor car, or (crossing fingers) just plug in and play?

3.)Dash cluster will it sync up, and display donors cars mileage?

4.)Years of ZL1, or Z/28 to find. Please correct me if I am wrong but ZL1 started in 2013? And 2014 Z/28’s showed their sexy selves. Would like to lean more towards the z/28 because having the bigger motor, suspension, and brakes

I’m sure there will be more questions and responses when this thread gets traction, but I’m sure this is a good starting point for people to give me an idea of which direction to take!
Thank you again, really apprecate the knowledge!
hahnlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
It's not worth it.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...6+swap+into+v8
1) Everything... every...thing. You'll need an exact year donor, basically gonna need a 2011 RS/SS to just have the necessary parts.

2) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372105 this will answer your question in detail.

3) ???? No idea.

4) ZL1 started in 2012, it'd be pretty much near impossible to swap into a z/28 from a v6 at this point. Cars aren't even remotely close.

All in all, if you want the SS, trade your V6 in (probably give you like $12k for it) and get a nice used SS at $20k.

You'll pay $8k for a used SS and ZERO hassle.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnlogic View Post
Money really isn’t a problem, but would like to save it where I can.
You'd be better off buying a ZL1 or Z/28 then. If you want a project, buy another persons track car and start from there. Starting from scratch is a pain in the ass and is a bottomless money pit. Been there, done that, bought the shirt, and gave it away.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
failshift
Banned

New Project Idea... just need the starting point

It's like saying you want to install a new foundation in an apartment building.
In cases like this

Replace > Repair

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
625hp/582tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Here is a good deal.

Start here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380474

Another...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454912
Old 06-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
hahnlogic

Really apprecate everyones input, and probabbly saved me from tearing my hair out! So pretty much it will be easier just to start from a v8 standpoint, and get rid of the v6.

Also if I start out with a 1/2SS v8 would it be possible to transplant the powertrain if i find the same year, zl1 that is salvaged? Would it be a simple swap, well don't mean simple but just taking alot of parts out of one to put in the other?

Just thought of this also, what about pulling the motor out of my current car, and rebuild motor with better internals, and either rebuild trans or get a better one? Also then strap twins on it? Just a thought, didn't seem much on here explaining twin set ups on a v6. If this route is better, would like to make it run with zl1's
Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
If you trade up to an SS, why not just get the LSA kit from GM performance or something like a magneson. Way easier & you don't have to swap engines & hassle with the wiring.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Really apprecate everyones input, and probabbly saved me from tearing my hair out! So pretty much it will be easier just to start from a v8 standpoint, and get rid of the v6.

Also if I start out with a 1/2SS v8 would it be possible to transplant the powertrain if i find the same year, zl1 that is salvaged? Would it be a simple swap, well don't mean simple but just taking alot of parts out of one to put in the other?

Just thought of this also, what about pulling the motor out of my current car, and rebuild motor with better internals, and either rebuild trans or get a better one? Also then strap twins on it? Just a thought, didn't seem much on here explaining twin set ups on a v6. If this route is better, would like to make it run with zl1's
I think a ZL1 has a turbo. So I doubt a turbo 6 will keep pace with a turbo 8.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
hahnlogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I think a ZL1 has a turbo. So I doubt a turbo 6 will keep pace with a turbo 8.
ZL1 is super charged LSA, no turbos
Old 06-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
hahnlogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto mark View Post
If you trade up to an SS, why not just get the LSA kit from GM performance or something like a magneson. Way easier & you don't have to swap engines & hassle with the wiring.
The LSA kit, that would just be the motor and computer. Would SS tranny work? Thought ZL1 drive train way different
Old 06-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
RCE-FED

LSA SUPERCHARGER

P/N 19300534 / MSRP: $7,517

Give your LSX engine more atmosphere with the supercharger off of the LSA-powered ZL1 Camaro. The Eatonฎ Twin-Vortices high-helix rotors yield a 9-psi boost for your engine, with 1.9 liters of displacement. And keeping it all cool is an integrated air-to-liquid intercooler.

It's just the supercharger kit. At least you know it will fit & work properly being it is designed by the people who made the car.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
ZL1 is super charged LSA, no turbos
Thank you, so since both forms of forced induction adds lots of power, the V6 will still be handily beat.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto mark View Post
RCE-FED

LSA SUPERCHARGER

P/N 19300534 / MSRP: $7,517†

Give your LSX engine more atmosphere with the supercharger off of the LSA-powered ZL1 Camaro. .

LSx =/= LSX.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
625hp/582tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:

What is your ultimate goal?

Everyone is different...
Some people love the idea of modding the heck out of their rides and making them unique as can be.
Whether is be a v6 or v8, doesn't matter, you make yours...yours and customize it to your liking.
Others like myself prefer the 'all in one'. I've stopped modding for the most part and will be getting a ZL1 in the future and mod from there.
I could just forge the internals and make mine a 1,000 hp beast eventually. But I don't want or need that much, I like the ZL1 and would like to take it from stock 520rwhp to over 600rwhp with long tube headers, cold air intake and a tune...
All depends on what YOU want out of your Camaro.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, engine swap, transmission problem, z/28, zl1