Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
JefemanG

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I'd pass on the vette as a dd simply because you'll end up scraping it all the time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
That and wanting to roast the tires all the time. Plus I feel it'd make a way less comfortable DD than other comparable cars, but I'll love it come track days.
JefemanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #16
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
If you have specific questions then feel free to ask but no one here is going to convince you or sell you on the camaro. We're not salesman, we don't work at a dealership, and we get nothing out of you buying a camaro.

I agree. This is super bizarre.
X2
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #17
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefemanG View Post
Honestly, it'll be more of a DD than anything else, which is why I'm hesitant on cars like a C6z. I'm posting this to get people's feels for why they like the 2SS and how it suits them well. I might mod, but not excessively. Just basic bolt-ons, maybe FI if I feel it later.

Whatever I get will be road-coursed at least once every few months. More if possible, but it won't be a DEDICATED track car. Beyond that, I really just want something I can romp on for fun but also won't kill me to drive if I'm in traffic for a bit. I don't need "practicality" (no children, all my hauling is done with another vehicle, etc) but I do want something that won't get annoying to drive for long periods of time.

The C6z and the 2SS are pretty high up there for me right now. I will definitely need to drive both before deciding, but I just want to get how you guys feel about your cars first to help when I'm deciding later.

Great idea. I didn't even think about that...

So, since your goal is a daily driver that you take to the track on weekends, the Camaro SS is a no brainer at this point. The only other contender is PERHAPS (but we don't know for sure yet) the PP2 Mustang. The reason I say this is that the SS (and SS 1LE) are BOTH track capable AND a comfortable daily driver without any modifications (okay, put some DOT 4 brake fluid in, but that's all you need), especially if you get the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC). With the drive mode set to tour, the throttle is not twitchy, the ride is very comfortable on a long trip, the steering is light and easy. But, change to sport or track, and the car gets more serious, stiffer suspension, less assisted steering, more aggressive throttle mapping, more aggressive shifts and shift points (for the automatic only). Plus, you can customize these things if you want (like having it in track mode, but with touring steering if you like, etc).

Also, these cars have all the cooling you will ever need on a track. No limp mode, no overheating issues, no floppy suspension, etc. Again, no upgrades are needed.

The only question now is, do you get the regular SS or the SS 1LE. I would suggest the SS 1LE for you (as long as you are okay with a manual, as the 1LE is manual only). It has the suspension from the ZL1 (and MRC tuning for as well), but it has the HUD and available Performance Data Recorder, plus the eDiff (along with lighter bigger wheels that are the best looking ones, and bigger more aggressive rubber). You don't NEED those things (I daily drive and weekend road course my SS without any need for modifications), but if you are going to road course it more than once or twice a year, you will really appreciate the extra capability. AND, the 1SS 1LE gives you HUD without having to go with the 2SS, if you don't want all the extra technology, the disco lighting, or leather seats.

As you may see here, there have been some issues with the A8 transmission having a "shudder", which is preventable if you just get the transmission fluid changed after break-in. Also, some folks had a strange noise (a groan) from the differential in the non-1LE, but again, it is solved/prevented with a fluid change after break-in.

Hope this helps... Have fun with whatever you choose.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
I like to go fast
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Camaro 2SS easily if it will be a DD. The C6Z's ride will be firm, but the LS7 though is an awesome engine as long as it doesn't drop the valves....
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Camaro 2SS 1LE would be my vote for you based on your tracking plans. If you want a manual transmission, that is.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
I took my 2SS on a 1500 mile roundtrip road trip and had no issues as far as comfort goes. Definitely get the mag ride. I put mine in comfort mode and it was like being in a Cadillac. The seats are firm/supportive but not back killers on long drives. Very comfortable car for any situation, just get the mag ride .

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Title. Deciding on what to buy and the 2SS is definitely high on my list. I want to hear from owners why I should get the Camaro over something else.

I have my likes and dislikes in regard to the car, so let me hear everything you guys think.

Because its the baddest car on the road right now.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #23
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
looked at a lightly used vette but wanted a rear seat for the occaisional grandkid ride.have had 2 seat sports cars for the last 10 years,the camaro is a very practical car in many ways.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
2ss............the heads up display alone will save you countless speeding tickets, equal to the cost difference!
The gas pedal disagrees.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
jerryb1984

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
Quote:
I've sat in an RS and at 6'5", it's kinda tight compared to the Mustang, but I was surprised how much room there was for both vehicles if I'm being honest.

Where I'm at, there are more 2SS on the road than GTs, but more EcoBoosts than other comparable Camaro trims. I'm not concerned with what others are driving tbh. The thing is, looking at both, the current SS looks so much meaner than the current GT, which is a huge selling point to me. I'm not a fan of the refresh by any means, even having seen it in-person. I think it was a great refresh sales-wise, but not for those of us who prefer that more aggressive look. I'm not a fan of how tame the new Mustangs look, but I don't quite know (haven't driven a new SS) if the Camaro is really worth how much more it is. Where I'm at, a brand new GTPP can be had for around $31k. A 2SS with NPP and MRC will be $44k. I don't know if the Camaro is quite $13k better, but I imagine Chevy will be having A LOT of incentives in December that may help sway me some. That or if the price will drop on used 2SS.

When you say it was money well-spent, why is that exactly? What makes it better than other new or used cars in its price-range?
Front seat room is fine with the seats all the way back, even for taller/larger people.
I was looking for a 2015 up mustang premium with larger radio display and the track package or a 2016 and up camaro 2ss with under 15k miles. Wanted a manual as well.
The price difference between those was a few grand. I found my 2016 with 9500 miles in February for 28. No NPP or magnetic ride.
jerryb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #26
JefemanG

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryb1984 View Post
Front seat room is fine with the seats all the way back, even for taller/larger people.
I was looking for a 2015 up mustang premium with larger radio display and the track package or a 2016 and up camaro 2ss with under 15k miles. Wanted a manual as well.
The price difference between those was a few grand. I found my 2016 with 9500 miles in February for 28. No NPP or magnetic ride.
I'm seeing the prices on 2016s come WAY down, which makes sense with it hitting the 3-year mark. If I do get a Camaro, I'd get an M6 2SS w/ NPP and MRC. If I could snag one for around 30 or a bit under, I'll likely do it.

I realize I won't get a new Camaro for that price, but if a few thousand miles and a couple years will shave off more than $10k, that sounds fine to me.

How is Chevy with their prices on used/CPOs, anyway? I know when they were getting rid of 17s for the next MY, they were giving deep discounts, but how about their used inventory? If I can get the right price and some incentives, I'll likely be in unless I dislike the car after driving it.
JefemanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #27
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
2SS all the way I love the creature comforts leather and all the goodies (Leather seats, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, memory seating, interior lighting pkg, HUD, etc... I did not want to but a 1SS and wished I had the stuff I was missing from the 1SS.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #28
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I think any SS, or a 1LE if you are really track focused, would work for you.

You said you are looking at 2016's because the price is coming down significantly, which tells me you don't have the money to just spring for a new 2018 2SS.
Watch out, because there are several issues that were very concentrated in the early production cars, and many kinks have been ironed out since then. I know its tempting when you see a deeply discounted 2016 2SS, but you really have to be careful. Insist on service records and do an extensive test drive. You could be buying a car that needs a new torque converter and/or transmission, new rear differential, etc.

Or just get a new 1SS. Mine rocks. I don't daily drive it, but it sees a lot of road time, some long road trips, and track days. The cloth seats are super comfy. The interior of the 1LT/1SS feels more premium than you'd expect if you haven't driven one. The base 6th gen Camaro, even without any options, offers a great driving experience. Mag ride, NPP exhaust, all the bells and whistles, it's all nice. But you are going to get the Camaro experience regardless.

Different priorities for different people. I'd take a 1SS 1LE over a 2SS any day.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote