Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #99
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thank you Scott for clearing this up, as usual! I can sleep peacefully tonight now.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #100
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I for one will not be pissed off i will wait and when it comes I will ENJOY!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #101
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thank you Scott for clearing this up, as usual! I can sleep peacefully tonight now.
Can anyone tell me what exactly he cleared up and why everyone's so cheery? Summary: "GM cares about you, we don't just care about V6's, we want to build a good Camaro."

This doesn't explain anything, and it sure doesn't explain why in the near future a lot of you will be waiting months on end for your dealer to get allocated another V8 because you weren't first in line for the SS.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #102
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Well, after the panic from earlier today, I do have two questions...

With the new launch date, are things looking better as far as having the Ambient lighting system ready to go in the 2SS/2LT's?

And if the Ambient Lighting is not ready by launch time, will there be a way to easily add it later?

Also, thanks for the words of sanity to calm everyone down.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #103
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
P.S. The whole "allocation" scheme stinks to high heaven and it's one of the things you guys should be working to ELIMINATE. When I order a computer from Dell, I go to their website and fill out an order and press <ENTER> and my order is built and shipped to me WITHOUT having to sit around for all eternity because some incompetent boobs in my area hadn't sold meny computers in the last quarter/year/whatever.

Let me introduce you to a new concept for ordering cars. I call it "First come first served."

You guys should make this a PRIORITY. It will help you in ways no union-busting bailout loan could EVER hope to equal!!!!
May I suggest that you take that up with your elected officials?

We don't like it any more than you do -- and the threads that 'broke out' today are just ONE of the problems we face with allocation.

(Why do you assume WE made the rules on allocation?)

Computers are cars are two wildly different things...........

As I said in an earlier post about allocation: Go talk to the guys from Honda that went to jail because they did not follow an 'allocation' plan.

Not our choice!

If we could build "first come, first served" we'd have happy customers -- and that's what we want. Alas, we must follow the law to the letter!
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #104
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Scott, the problem isn't in the month delay...people will get over that. Delays happen. The problem is this:

If you build V6's and V8's at a 50/50 ratio you WILL piss off a lot of preorders who will be forced to wait. GM knows the V6 is more important than the V8, hell, we all know that. But right now you've got a 80/20 ratio...you HAVE to ramp up V8 production more than V6 production.

GM is a business obviously and they need Camaro's at dealerships so people can look, feel, touch, etc. However, the people taking the fall for this are the preorders...for every V6 you guys have sitting at a dealership...well, that's just one more V8 order not being fulfilled. Let the V8 owners market the car for you...when people see the V8's rolling around they WILL want a Camaro, and it's much better for everyone to get these cars on the road as fast as possible.

Just tell me why 50/50 is the selected build rate for right now...why would you do that to your customers...the people in the back of the V8 line, you're going to lose those customers...
They did not specifically say that 50/50 would be the build rate. That comment came from scott a long time ago actually. But earlier in this thread he confirmed that they would be building more V8s than V6s to match the customer orders.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #105
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Let me introduce you to a new concept for ordering cars. I call it "First come first served."

You guys should make this a PRIORITY. It will help you in ways no union-busting bailout loan could EVER hope to equal!!!!

Quote:
Scott, the problem isn't in the month delay...people will get over that. Delays happen. The problem is this:

If you build V6's and V8's at a 50/50 ratio you WILL piss off a lot of preorders who will be forced to wait. GM knows the V6 is more important than the V8, hell, we all know that. But right now you've got a 80/20 ratio...you HAVE to ramp up V8 production more than V6 production.

GM is a business obviously and they need Camaro's at dealerships so people can look, feel, touch, etc. However, the people taking the fall for this are the preorders...for every V6 you guys have sitting at a dealership...well, that's just one more V8 order not being fulfilled. Let the V8 owners market the car for you...when people see the V8's rolling around they WILL want a Camaro, and it's much better for everyone to get these cars on the road as fast as possible.

Just tell me why 50/50 is the selected build rate for right now...why would you do that to your customers...the people in the back of the V8 line, you're going to lose those customers...

Cars on the road are better advertising that cars sitting in a dealer.

My dealer has an allocation of 6...I was the 'first' in line...but am coming in third as the owner gets number one, a repeat customer gets two, and I'm third in line.

My concern is that now I'm looking at late summer...pure speculation on my part...but based on the facts at hand how could I really expect anything different? All I know is that if I see a bunch of Camaros (and I don't care if they're V6 or V8) running around on the street before I've got confirmation on my delivery date...real confirmation....then I'll be pulling my order.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #106
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
May I suggest that you take that up with your elected officials?

We don't like it any more than you do -- and the threads that 'broke out' today are just ONE of the problems we face with allocation.

(Why do you assume WE made the rules on allocation?)

Computers are cars are two wildly different things...........

As I said in an earlier post about allocation: Go talk to the guys from Honda that went to jail because they did not follow an 'allocation' plan.

Not our choice!

If we could build "first come, first served" we'd have happy customers -- and that's what we want. Alas, we must follow the law to the letter!
There's only really two entities involved- the seller (you) and the buyer (really the dealers). So if you didn't make the allocation rules, can I assume...

And, like everyone else, thanks for calming the masses, especially me and especially at 1:45 in the morning...
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #107
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what exactly he cleared up and why everyone's so cheery? Summary: "GM cares about you, we don't just care about V6's, we want to build a good Camaro."

This doesn't explain anything, and it sure doesn't explain why in the near future a lot of you will be waiting months on end for your dealer to get allocated another V8 because you weren't first in line for the SS.
Think of it this way, if you were going to get an SS would you order it to your exact preferences or pick one up off the lot? What about the typical V6 buyer? Are they more likely to drive one off the lot or place an order to get a specific car with everything they want and nothing else?

Plus there are likely to be supplier issues. There isn't a mountain of parts sitting in Oshawa right now ready to be turned into a Camaro. Most manufacturers can only produce parts at a particular rate, give or take a bit. But to build a supply of 8000 SS parts to be built in the first 2 months then string out 14000 more over the next 14 months isn't really feasible.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #108
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
March 16th you say? Three days after my birthday, what nice gift!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #109
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I gotta tell ya.............

...........after TRYING To read thru the IDL thread (and banging my head against the wall after page 4...........)

I've decided that..........

>>>uncle Fbodfather NEEDS a cocktail....

*hic!*
Cheers, Scott.

This Bud's for YOU.

BTW - this is one time I am glad I was so busy with my job I didn't have a chance to catch up on things. I dont even have to read it all to know what's there.

Y'all really need to take a serious chill pill. Really.

Really.......
Old 01-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #110
131 SS
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Thanks for the update. I can't wait for mine....whenever it comes.

Mike
131 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #111
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Wow...what a day...

I really wish these guys at GM would let Scott do the IDL's. These range of emotions are killing me. So I'm gonna get my 2SS/RS on March 17th right?
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #112
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Wow...what a day...

I really wish these guys at GM would let Scott do the IDL's. These range of emotions are killing me. So I'm gonna get my 2SS/RS on March 17th right?

JUST KIDDING!!!