Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #71
xxIRONWILLxx
7.5 mpg and loving it!

Drives: it like I stole it!
Ok, got the lights in but I don't like how the panels diffuse the light. They don't match. I tried turning the reflector at every angle. I notched the panels so I could flush mount but that is even worse. I sanded to the edge of bevel but did not go over. The sanded portion is now mounted flush so no light is going through it. If I shim the panel out it looks better. I'm wondering. If I sand(evenly) over the edge,will the light then fill the sanded area? Or do I have to keep it shimmed? Another thing is, the center of the right side is very dim in the middle. I used clear cable retainers to try to stop it from sagging but it is still dim. I extended the lighting in the doors. Took the tape off. Used Oops! Extreme Remover(Advance Auto) and Qtips to take the paint of the door panels. Worked great. A couple quick applications and it came right off, no drama. Kind of a tight area to sand. Doors really turned out great. Any input on the dim center would help. Thx
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #72
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

I have my panel tilted out a bit to shine the light up behind it. I didn't do the sanding method. Are you saying it is still dim in the center with the panel tilted out?
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #73
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
If you look behind the hole in this picture, you can see it is sort of blocked off. That is actually the panel behind that dash that houses the A/C vents and all. One of the moderators here, TAG, says he loosened that bolt and pushed on it and it allowed the LED through. I did loosen the bolt and pushed that panel back a little with the screwdriver.

OMG, I drilled that am I screwed?!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #74
TJ91

the more i think of it, i remember it being like a slim plastic piece that felt just like a bracket, so im hoping I didnt do any real damage
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #75
xxIRONWILLxx
7.5 mpg and loving it!

Drives: it like I stole it!
I was trying to mimic the door panel lighting and still have the dash panels flush mounted. I now think this is next to impossible. When I shim the panel out, I get really good lighting. The right side panel like to pull itself really far in, in the center. That's why I'm seeing dark, but I am working on it and think I have the answer. I used reflective tape behind the panel and that helped alot. But it still needs to be shimmed away to give the best light. I have a couple ideas on how to evenly shim the panel across the top. Should have it mostly done this weekend. Btw, the dimmer switch I installed really helps when you're thing to match the doors. The center is almost always brighter than the doors when it's wedged out. I'll post all the pics once I get this figured out. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #76
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
If you look behind the hole in this picture, you can see it is sort of blocked off. That is actually the panel behind that dash that houses the A/C vents and all. One of the moderators here, TAG, says he loosened that bolt and pushed on it and it allowed the LED through. I did loosen the bolt and pushed that panel back a little with the screwdriver.

OMG, I drilled that am I screwed?!
No, I went back later and drilled that piece out just to have spare room, so you're good.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #77
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxIRONWILLxx View Post
I was trying to mimic the door panel lighting and still have the dash panels flush mounted. I now think this is next to impossible. When I shim the panel out, I get really good lighting. The right side panel like to pull itself really far in, in the center. That's why I'm seeing dark, but I am working on it and think I have the answer. I used reflective tape behind the panel and that helped alot. But it still needs to be shimmed away to give the best light. I have a couple ideas on how to evenly shim the panel across the top. Should have it mostly done this weekend. Btw, the dimmer switch I installed really helps when you're thing to match the doors. The center is almost always brighter than the doors when it's wedged out. I'll post all the pics once I get this figured out. Thanks for the help everyone
Thank you for your valuable information. I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing more information.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #78
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
awesome write up. As soon as I get the funds, I will be hitting you and Ofer up!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #79
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
awesome write up. As soon as I get the funds, I will be hitting you and Ofer up!
Thanks man. Let me know if you need to know anything else!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #80
FED728

Drives: Aqua Blue SS
ABL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post

Great step by step write up. Will be using this and now I AM REALLY HOPING I have a plug. Can't wait to get home to see my vin number.
FED728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #81
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Order sent through Patrick... he said you guys should be getting more blue abl lights in a few days.

Can not wait to try this at home!!!

and I'm ordering the trim removal kit too haha. thanks for that tip

Roshan
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #82
TJ91

Quote:
No, I went back later and drilled that piece out just to have spare room, so you're good.
oh thank God
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #83
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FED728 View Post
Great step by step write up. Will be using this and now I AM REALLY HOPING I have a plug. Can't wait to get home to see my vin number.
If you carry your insurance card on you, check it. I know with mine from StateFarm it's listed there.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #84
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
i posted this in ofer's thread, thought i would post here also, might help.
i purchased some 1/4 in weather stripping, put i along the trim, and raise or lowered it in areas. This is to hold the rod and in turn, the rod create to proper gap needed. hope this help, kinda crappy vid, but oh well

lupe

overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote