Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I'm not a stick guy but I grew up in South Jersey (Mays Landing, Absecon.

Based on your just shy of running 84mph in the 1/8th, you have some ET left on the table. You have to work on the front half of the pass more. I'm thinking you should hit 86mph in the 1/8th. Look at the thread with the timeslips for inspiration.

I don't race stick much but I always think it's better to spin a little than bog.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Thanks! I went back again last night, but even though I stayed to the end I got only four passes. :(

MY shifting rhythm and 60 foot were both off from my last time. However my ETs stayed about the same (13.3-13-8) and the shift into 4th cost me 2 MPH @ 108. The air was better and the temps were in the 70s. I also ditched my spare tire and the crap in my trunk. All in all I was disappointed in me. MY only improvement was in my RTs which were .5 or less. Still room to improve there. 3rd yellow. 3rd yellow. 3rd yellow.

I plan to go to the T&T Friday night and work on my launch. I was thinking I would try the Launch Control to become more consistent. Then once I have the rest worked out come back and work on a clean manual launch. However after reading more about it I think not.
Are you still going tomorrow?
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
Are you still going tomorrow?
Oops, didn't see this and yes I did. I plan to go again even after this Sunday, I am hooked. It is so cool even just hanging out in the lanes.

I provided some comic relief Tuesday night when I staged with my rear tires. Doh! I was fooling around tuning the radio to the Atco band and passed the lights. So the next tires that staged were my rears. The announcer did not think I deserved such a big advantage over the old Mustang and told me so. He was right it really wasn't a race.

It started out very disappointing with big wait times. But around 9:30 things opened up and I was able to make runs without the long wait.

One thing I did different about then was get up to the front of the street lanes. What a difference! There must have been much less water at the tree and some good rubber from the track cars. My launches were so much cleaner although still hovering around 2.1.

Also I am no longer thinking so much when driving the quarter. It's starting to just flow. My last three runs were all around 13 flat with my first 12 second run. Just barely at 12.999 but I will take it!

I sill need to work on my launch and my shift points. With my mods there must be at least another half second in the car. I am car 3101 below.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I'm not a stick guy but I grew up in South Jersey (Mays Landing, Absecon.

Based on your just shy of running 84mph in the 1/8th, you have some ET left on the table. You have to work on the front half of the pass more. I'm thinking you should hit 86mph in the 1/8th. Look at the thread with the timeslips for inspiration.

I don't race stick much but I always think it's better to spin a little than bog.
I was hitting the 86 in 1/8th by the end of tonight. See above. Yes and I was spinning a little at the launch. I am revving a bit higher, 3000? and really slipping the clutch at the lights. Thanks for the advice.

My family is from Egg Harbor/Mullica. I love that river.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Fraxum

The results are in. Over the course of my practice T&Ts and Camaro vs. Mustang day at the track I lost to two Mustangs so far. One, a much better driven Fox Body with Streets and a 2013 GT500. All of the other Mustangs were pre Coyote versions. I am not saying there were not other faster Mustangs present, but none lined up with me.

I had a shot with the GT500 as this was his first day with the car at the track. He ran a 12.85 (at 120 mph!) to my 15.3. I started out in second. Doh. Nerves I guess. But justice was served. Looking forward to running a 5.0.

Thanks for the help. I will keep going back. A night of fun for $15 is too hard to resist. And if I do not break anything it is cheaper then going to see a movie. As if there is anything worth seeing anyway.

I want to try Autocross next.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Are you still shifting into 4th or did you decide to stick with hitting the limiter? I guess I should have asked how close to the end you are hitting the limiter.

When the Shift to 4th cost you 2 mph did you experiment with different rpms for the 3-4 shift?

Good job bringing those times down. You are actually out there racing instead of only talking about it and speculating.

EDIT: I went back and looked at your first slip. You've picked up over .1 second by the 330' mark and about .2 sec and 3 mph by the 1/8th. In these cases your 60' time has stayed almost the same.... 2.167 vs. 2.120 and 2.157.

I'm thinking that your improvements are from improved shifting in general. By the time you cross the 1/8th mile mark you've already done the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, given that your 60' hasn't changed much, those two shifts are where you stand to pick up time. But it does seem your 60's are now consistently 2.1X so that is still improvement as well.

It goes without saying that a lot happens in that first 1/8th mile. The back half is usually just keeping the throttle down and the car straight, all the major work is done by the time you reach the 1/8th...and even if you do have to shift on the back end, the 3-4 shift is by far the easiest.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 09-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Are you still shifting into 4th or did you decide to stick with hitting the limiter? I guess I should have asked how close to the end you are hitting the limiter.

When the Shift to 4th cost you 2 mph did you experiment with different rpms for the 3-4 shift?

Good job bringing those times down. You are actually out there racing instead of only talking about it and speculating.

EDIT: I went back and looked at your first slip. You've picked up over .1 second by the 330' mark and about .2 sec and 3 mph by the 1/8th. In these cases your 60' time has stayed almost the same.... 2.167 vs. 2.120 and 2.157.

I'm thinking that your improvements are from improved shifting in general. By the time you cross the 1/8th mile mark you've already done the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, given that your 60' hasn't changed much, those two shifts are where you stand to pick up time. But it does seem your 60's are now consistently 2.1X so that is still improvement as well.

It goes without saying that a lot happens in that first 1/8th mile. The back half is usually just keeping the throttle down and the car straight, all the major work is done by the time you reach the 1/8th...and even if you do have to shift on the back end, the 3-4 shift is by far the easiest.
My highest MPH 111, was a shift to 4th. I am trying to shift into 4th at 6K but the tach on the HUD is hard to read with the blocky numbers at over 100 mph.

If I stay in third I hit the limiter way before the win light comes on. I might have a better ET if I can judge backing off at 6,500 rather than hitting the limiter. Hitting the limiter almost seems to put the brakes on. At Atco I am told seeing the light is the only way to tell you have passed the traps.

I want to go back and work on my 60 foot, RT, and that last shift. In that better fall DA I hope to be running consistent 12s. Very few bolton fifth gens are running in the 12s at Atco that i have seen so far. But then I have only been there a few times.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
Fraxum

Still Trying

Still at this.

I have been to the track a few time after my first run in the 12s. That stood as my best until last Friday, Nov. 30th. I was still cutting a 2.1 60 foot but my RT is improving. One time I almost had a perfect light, but red-lighted by .005.

Last Friday the temps were in the 40s to 50s. Good air!

My C5 was much faster and much harder to be consistent. I knew it would be a little cold so I left my spare setup in the trunk, filled up with 93, and lowered my rear TP to below 30 pounds.

As a result I ran 3 runs in the 12s and my MPH is getting close to 113: (I am #28)

But still, to me this improvement does not seem like much and was a gift from the air. I will say it was harder to get a good run. Launching was tough and I could not power shift into second without getting a little sideways. One time I let the car cool down for about 30 minutes and then found out how strong a bolton LS3 can be. My first run was a mess, with about a 2.5 60 foot and having to let off a bit after shifting into second. My second run was the 12.866 @ 112.86. In that run I eased more into second and then focused on the next 2 shifts.

As far as Mustangs go it was a mixed night. A old Fox body ran a 12 flat to my 13.0. A mean sounding early 2000s vert ate my dust. But I finally ran into a new '13 5.0 M6. To be fair to the Mustang, it was stock and not fully broken in. The first time I ran him I beat him off the lights and was puling away when I missed third. But I recovered and almost ran him down. Our second run he caught me sleeping but then I put together a good run and ran him down after being 5 or more cars behind. And to be even more fair to Mustangs there was a completely stock '13 5.0 automatic that running 12.5 to 12.6s at over 113. I did not get a chance to run him, but we know how that would have turned out.

So I still have .2 more seconds left at the 60 foot if I can get better. My second problem is my inconsistent shifting. I wonder if a shift light would help? I think there is another .2 or .3 there. i plan to resume my quest in the spring. I am setting my sights on that automatic 5.0. I hope he doesn't mod.

One other thing, even though my suspension is well modded, I still have wheelhop on some launches. Would a non-stock wheel alignment help?

Future plans:

lighter 1LE replica wheels
1lE 3.91 gears and axles (what a deal!)

Then maybe some DRs.

Is a new intake a bolton?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Fraxum

Still trying and have slightly improved my best.

Tonight though I ran against a Fox body convertible Mustang with a similar power to weight ratio that left me for dead. See that run on the left. I am car 454. (nice number) This run makes clear my problem. We both had about the same RT. Then he beat my 60 foot by .154 seconds. Then by the 330 foot i was losing more ground and behind by .322 seconds. After that I came closer to holding my own although he is still pulling me a little.

Besides my crappy 60', I must either be spinning more through first gear and maybe even on the shift to second. On the street the traction control light is on through most of first gear. I wander also if i am short shifting first a bit. Second comes so fast. I made probably 50 or more runs tying to improve my times and 12.8x @ 112-113 is the best I can do. I did improve slightly by replacing my big front sway bar with the stock one.

So without more tire I think I am stuck.

But on a brigher note my corrected best time car #0806 on the left slip:
Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
12.627 @ 113.844 MPH

Last edited by Fraxum; 06-16-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Fraxum

My best 60' times so far. So close to the fast list. But my 1/4 times are horrible. Right now I am in the middle of returning my car to stock. I will see what I run once I remove the LTs. I bet my times will not change much as i might be able to launch better. But mph will be down.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Why is the car going back to stock?
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Why is the car going back to stock?
I want to order a 2014 1LE and start over. So I am removing the mods that I can. Some I will reuse, and sell what I do not need. This time I want to learn to drive car stock and then gradually "improve" it.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Just get a ls1 camaro and start frm there
jonathanmoguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
Just get a ls1 camaro and start frm there
Not a bad idea. But I went with a '13 1LE instead. Need a few more miles on it before I drag it. I hope to get close to my modded 2011 SS times stock. Time will tell.