Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Make sure you insure your mods.

Just wanted to point out something many people overlook when modding their Camaro or any car for that matter. First off, Call your insurance company and inquire about upping or adding modification insurance to your policy. Many policies come with a small allowance built in but make sure you know what that number is and up it if need be. keep every single mod receipt and file them away.

If your mods are non performance enhancing they won't raise your premium much or at all. My insurer upped my mod insurance to $3k at no extra cost. Got the new declaration in the mail on Friday showing it on the policy. I will be calling again as mods add up. Performance enhances probably will raise the rate but, better to pay a little more than to lose full value of expensive mods.

Don't overlook this and possibly end up losing a lot of cash should something happen such as theft or another catastrophic incident.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
If you have the new car policy replacement on your insurance they will replace it for free anyways.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
If you have the new car policy replacement on your insurance they will replace it for free anyways.
That doesn't cover all the mods you added. You could drop 10k in mods and insurance won't pay a penny on that in most instances if you didn't insure it.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Dreamer2430
I need to win the Lotto

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS LS3
I always thought that most insurance companies wouldn't cover mods and if they did you ended up paying waaayy too much in premiums. I thought that there was a tread in here a while back about someone who actually purchased their car got the insurance then added a supercharger and when they called and told the insurance company suddenly they were dropped from the insurance company. It's definately the smartest/safest decision, but from my understanding it's not always as easy as just calling the company and telling them what mods you're going to make.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Can you be a bit more specific on the "mods"? Rims, spoiler, speakers...?
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
shortstop4

Drives: '13 Summit White ZL1 M6
Insurance companies will drop you if the mods are deemed "racing" mods. Coming from a supervisor at a major ins company.

You can add mods like rims, GFX, aftermarket hood, spoilers, leather seats, aftermarket lights, etc. without any problems.
shortstop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
For things like the exhaust CAIs the insurance company will only pay the amount for OEM. Which in most cases are more expensive. You still can have you body shop replace with the after market.
But the OP is correct that you should check with your insurance company because they are all slightly different and change from state to state.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop4 View Post
Insurance companies will drop you if the mods are deemed "racing" mods. Coming from a supervisor at a major ins company.

You can add mods like rims, GFX, aftermarket hood, spoilers, leather seats, aftermarket lights, etc. without any problems.
That's a crappy insurance company. Every mod is documented and insured on my supra. Including documented dyno runs. Build sheet. Every proof of purchase. Over 35k in mods. Mostly to go faster. My insurance went up 1565 every 6 months. I go through a agent and he knows I drive responsibly. He is a car guy himself with a blown cts-v.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop4 View Post

In many cases that can be correct regarding performance mods. It really depends upon each carrier. None of my mods are performance mods other tha n the CAI and that was not deemed a racing mod. But, when it comes to certain mods it pays to insure. Just my engine covers alone cost almost two and a half times what the stock cover costs. In my case the 3k in mods was added at zero charge.

Just something to think about for those who have spent big money on mods.