Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
Vegas Bound

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have over $20,000 in my engine. I can afford $10 for an oil filter.
TBD 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
plastic internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Oh no, not this again!

There's nothing wrong with the plastic internals. In fact, the new design has more filter area as a result.
When I worked for a Caterpillar dealership. I was lucky enough to go on a Plant tour in Illinois. Part of that tour included a trip to a filter plant where filters were made for Caterpillar. Several of the filters use a plastic core and end caps. The explanation was that the metalic filters more often than not could contamination due to rust, shavings, or debris. I had an 1981 Z28 with a close tolerance 434 that I decided to use a filter head and remote Caterpillar filter.
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Yes, this again. My engine builder won't go near the e series filters. That's good enough for me.
Lots of people are "afraid" of change. I have never witnessed or heard that the E filters are prone to failure. And it's indisputable that they have more filter area.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I have experience going back to 230cu straight 6s etc also. And I have personally found the cardboard in my oiling system and had a knock in the engine. At the time I didn't know where the heck that cardboard came from (way before youtube). Now I know. Save a buck and buy the cheapest one if someone prefers. Just offering facts so people can make informed decisions.

still on sale only $6.75 at Walmart online or

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-5.../dp/B00C5SYH68
250 in '74 Nova. It was a 12 year old car when I got it. And it took a beating from me. I currently stay away from the cardboard end caps, just stating I never had an issue. And cut mine open after use to check construction and element.
N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank, progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, console switches), LNC2000, CTAP, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Scoop, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, TSW Nurb 18" 555 & 555R, Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods, Autometer WB, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (int), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote