Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #43
Skipjack
Skipjack

Drives: 2SS-RS
Any word on what the dealership told you?
Skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #44
CamPam

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS 6M
Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #45
CarNutzCustomz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Interesting TSB from the new CTS-V...perhaps not related at all but still interesting to note. Our Camaro's call for wheel nuts to be torqued to 140 ft lbs, just like the CTS-V originally. I may try upping the torque to 158 ft lb just to see if it resovles anything.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A clicking noise emanating from the front wheels. This condition is noticed at low speed (walking speed) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement (Full lock parking lot maneuver). The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 "clicks" per wheel revolution. The cause may be an interaction between wheel mounting face and wheel mounting surface on rotor.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the procedure below on both front wheels.

Note: It is not necessary to clean the rear wheels for the "clicking" condition.

Remove the front wheels.

Important: Be careful not to use the Brake Cleaner on the painted or clear coated surfaces of the wheel.

Clean the wheels as follows.

• 2.1 Use a clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378556 or equivalent.
• 2.1 Wipe the mounting surface of the wheel to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the wheel mounting surface.

Clean the rotor top hat as follows.
• 3.1 Use a clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378556 or equivalent.
• 3.2 Clean the wheel mounting surface of the rotor (rotor top hat) to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the rotor. During cleaning process be sure to clean the rotor near the wheel pilot at the center of the rotor.

Reinstall the wheels.
• 4.1 Be sure to thoroughly dry the wheel and rotor prior to installation on vehicle.
• 4.2 Tighten wheel nuts to 215 N•m (158 lbs ft).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #46
CarNutzCustomz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Again based on reading the CTS-V forums, here are other areas to look into:

1. Front lower control arm bolts need to be re-torqued.
2. Brake pad retaining clips not seated properly.
3. Binding of front tires due to being cold and tire literally dragging against pavement.
4. Rear differential lock even though it appears to be coming from the front.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #47
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
The noise I'm getting is coming from the rear. Mostly when the car is cold. It starts as a deep grinding like sound when backing out of the driveway. As the car moves forward and turns you would swear there was a subwoofer in the trunk making a rubbing noise. When going straight it dies out then when turning it comes back. By the time i'm out of the neighborhood and up to speed it quits. Might not do it again for a few days, but always comes back.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #48
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtWht_2010_2SS_RS View Post
I have had this issue also but would describe it as a grinding sound. I am not sure what the issue is but it surely makes my heart stop everytime I hear it.

+1 Thought I hit something the first time I was backing out of the driveway and it "skeered the beejesus out of me" ....
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #49
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
The noise I'm getting is coming from the rear. Mostly when the car is cold. It starts as a deep grinding like sound when backing out of the driveway. As the car moves forward and turns you would swear there was a subwoofer in the trunk making a rubbing noise. When going straight it dies out then when turning it comes back. By the time i'm out of the neighborhood and up to speed it quits. Might not do it again for a few days, but always comes back.
Exact same here.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #50
kevin1

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I hear It as well. Every Day I back into a parking spot at 6:30am and it sits all day until ;3:30 and every Day when I pull out and turn I hear a grinding sound in the rear as if something is dragging or in a bind. It stops after 50- 100 ft. I think it has some thing to do with the parking brake, our rear rotors are parking brake drums as well and could not be releasing correctly.
kevin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #51
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Been getting this lately as well...It seems the clutches in the limited slip are binding a little until it gets warmed up. Im running royal purple in the diff btw...Changed it a month ago.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
kevin1

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
That could be it as well. I think in time it will be addressed, there has been alots of people talking about it and many posts.
kevin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #53
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Been getting this lately as well...It seems the clutches in the limited slip are binding a little until it gets warmed up. Im running royal purple in the diff btw...Changed it a month ago.
Very true. Never thought of the diff. This deffinately needs to be addressed.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #54
khn

Drives: '10 2SS black
Also experience the slight grind...

Wow me too! ('10 2SS M6)

Sound seems to be coming from passenger side front. Happens after a wheel revolution or two.

Seems to happen when:
- reversing
- clutch pedal pressed down all the way
- wheel turned to right

I think it might have happend once when going straight, but seems more often when turning wheel to the right.

It also seems to only happen when the car free-rolls down a hill.

When you slightly slip the clutch, the grinding seems to disappear.

Hmm, I'll take to a parking garage sometimes and see when else it happens. (Like, turn wheel to left? on level ground? going forward? How long does it last? Dunno... didn't want to find out!)
khn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #55
CruisinColfax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Do we all have 21's? Fortunately my dealer is taking this seriously - after I showed them how to reproduce it. They determined that one wheel is turning at a different speed than the other, which might indicate an ABS problem. Lots of data was sent to GM to no avail. I returned my car to the dealer this week and there is now a GM engineer from Texas on site.
The GM engineer thinks it may have something to do with the larger wheels and has asked the dealer to obtain a V6 with 18's/19's, whatever the smallest wheel size is, so they can do comparison tests.

I'll keep you posted - hopefully by the end of the week!!!
CruisinColfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #56
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinColfax View Post
Do we all have 21's? Fortunately my dealer is taking this seriously - after I showed them how to reproduce it. They determined that one wheel is turning at a different speed than the other, which might indicate an ABS problem. Lots of data was sent to GM to no avail. I returned my car to the dealer this week and there is now a GM engineer from Texas on site.
The GM engineer thinks it may have something to do with the larger wheels and has asked the dealer to obtain a V6 with 18's/19's, whatever the smallest wheel size is, so they can do comparison tests.

I'll keep you posted - hopefully by the end of the week!!!
nope, stock 20's here and in grinds and growls the whole way down the driveway... lookin forward to what you hear!
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote