Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Welcome to my boring sadly under modified thread ;)

Hey Folks!

Been a member a while now. I got my 2010 CGM SS in May of 18.

It has been largely stock except magnaflow axle back.

I live in MA and our inspections are brutal. I have had other cars flagged to MAC centers due to tune and exhaust.

Anyhow, I have ordered and installed some basic parts with a few more on the way.

2010 Hotchki's sway bars.
The front sway bar was a pain in the arse. Amazed that I got it.

CAI intake. Easy intall, but didn't have heat gun. Used duct tape

Hotchki 1 inch Springs. Tbd

SLP front lip. 300 bucks for this??? Can anyone verify? It looks different from online.

MRR017 Wheels with Nitto 555G2.
Attached Images

rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
You can use a hair dryer or cautiously use a lighter on the heat shrink for the CAI
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
rich2342

^Good call..

I installed the front Springs today... what a bitch!

The front end sqeaks and rickets.. Do others who are lowered have the same creaks?

Also they are 1 inch drop and I measured just about 28.1/4 inches to the fender. Front only. Normal? It looks low.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Ride height

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
^Good call..

I installed the front Springs today... what a bitch!

The front end sqeaks and rickets.. Do others who are lowered have the same creaks?

Also they are 1 inch drop and I measured just about 28.1/4 inches to the fender. Front only. Normal? It looks low.
Hello,
Front looks right for a 1" drop, the noise can be caused if the springs were not seated correctly in the lower perches. The front struts basically sit on a big flattened rubber ball, were they clean when installed? If these are good it could be the spring coils rubbing, I added 5/8" hose on mine, amazon sells spring silencers. They can be installed without removing the springs.
https://www.amazon.com/Tein-SPR02-G1...6155592&sr=8-4

The car will probably feel strange if you upgraded the front springs and not the rear springs as the spring rates are not matched. Do not forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you are done. I am including pics of my front and rear suspension. More on my build journal.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571243

Attached Images

Last edited by Vicster; 04-06-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
rich2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Hello,
Front looks right for a 1" drop, the noise can be caused if the springs were not seated correctly in the lower perches. The front struts basically sit on a big flattened rubber ball, were they clean when installed? If these are good it could be the spring coils rubbing, I added 5/8" hose on mine, amazon sells spring silencers.
https://www.amazon.com/Tein-SPR02-G1...6155592&sr=8-4

The car will probably feel strange if you upgraded the front springs and not the rear springs as the spring rates are not matched. Do not forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you are done. I am including pics of my front and rear suspension. More on my build journal.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571243

Thanks for the advice..

I also recently installed the hotchkis sway bars, so those are creaking a bit already from the mount, I believe.

I only finished half the job, being alone and struggling with the install. I thought I had seated the springs well in each perch in their grooves.

I am not sure about the top hats are tightened or over tightened. The other creaks I heard sounded different than the sways.

P.s. The jack under the engine was an earlier install or the front sway and was recomended to get more room to allow the sway bar through. The wheels were on up on ramps.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice..

P.s. The jack under the engine was an earlier install or the front sway and was recomended to get more room to allow the sway bar through. The wheels were on up on ramps.
Cool, Good to know! I did the same, did not think of that.

Did you use silicone grease on the sway bar mount bushings? I used BMR sway bars and the mounts came with zerks to lube every so often. Poly is harder than rubber and will make some noise. The top hats keep the struts in place when the front end is jacked up, other than that they do nothing. If you have someone turn the wheel when the car is on the ground from lock to lock you can see how much the rubber bushing moves in the hat pocket, surprised me the first time I saw it.
PM me if you have any questions, would be glad to help.

Last edited by Vicster; 04-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
rich2342

Wasted a dew minutes of time after work today.

Attempted the rear springs and did not have an 18mm wrench for the outer most lower control arm bolt. Its in such a tight angle also.

You can't just run to lowes for tools as covid 19 is about to peak here..

Now, I also need brake pads while I am at it, probably why they have been squealing the last week.��

I have my wheels and tires en route for thursday, I had hoped to pop them on and enjoy.. Isn't modding cars fun?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Wink Snowball Effect

Quote:
Wasted a dew minutes of time after work today.

Attempted the rear springs and did not have an 18mm wrench for the outer most lower control arm bolt. Its in such a tight angle also.

You can't just run to lowes for tools as covid 19 is about to peak here..

Now, I also need brake pads while I am at it, probably why they have been squealing the last week.��

I have my wheels and tires en route for thursday, I had hoped to pop them on and enjoy.. Isn't modding cars fun?

It is the plague that has trouble hot rodders since they first started modding cars, a simple mod requires more mods to work better and so on and so on.

Yes, that bolt is a pain in the butt! Ensure you start the bolt by hand as they thread into aluminum. I am running Hawk Ceramic pads and really like them, lower dust and great stopping power (I kept the originals for track duty).
Old 04-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
rich2342

So, I tore down the rear spring and suspension only to have my allan wrench not fit����. Thus could not remove the spring as the top bolt freely spun the shaft. Reinstalled the unit, defeated again..

For this level of aggravation I should have had a shop overcharge me 600.00 or more for install. I don't trust them with suspension components though.

Probably find the right size key for the top bolt so I can try again. Getting to the strut bolts is a chore without an extender. Fun fun fun.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
rich2342

Picture stolen from DIY thread I just found.

My Wrench didnt fit. I have one of the flip style multi size and not one fit properly. Probably weren't metric.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:25 AM   #11
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Wink Hey

Quote:
My Wrench didnt fit. I have one of the flip style multi size and not one fit properly. Probably weren't metric.

Hello,
When I did mine I used an impact gun no allen wrench needed, there is no real spring tension on the nut as it comes off. Have you an impact gun or can borrow one? I feel for you, wish we lived closer would come over to help!
Old 04-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
rich2342

I got the damn springs on! No compressor needed.

I also added new brake pads and of course wheels!!

I have the SLP lip to install tomorrow. May not even paint it.

My car looks sinister compared to stock, along with the car color and the graphite wheels..
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Wink Great Job!

Great Job! Looks awesome, feels good when you do it yourself! This was a good thread!
All you need now is a good 4 wheel alignment.

MY SETUP IS:

FRONT SUSPENSION:
TIRE PRESSURE = 33PSI
CAMBER (DEG) = -1.25*
TOE = 0.20* or 1/16” TOTAL
CASTER (DEG) = STOCK 5.6* (IF SLOTTED 6.5* - 7.0*)

REAR SUSPENSION:
TIRE PRESSURE = 32.5PSI
CAMBER (DEG) = -0.75*
TOE = 0.20* or 1/16” TOTAL

Handles like it is on rails and you have to drive it, more front toe will allow the car to track straighter with road ruts. I originally had just over 1/8" total front toe, but when I went to 1/16" total my tire temps and pressure build up went down. My back tire are allot larger is why my cold tire pressures are different. I use a tire gauge that reads to the 10th of a psi.

Again you did great! Car looks AWESOME!!! You will have to let us know how it handles!

Last edited by Vicster; 04-10-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Not sure what material the lip is, but some unpainted ones will fade over time
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote