Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Kai Lae

Drives: CGM 2SS A6
Care and feeding of 2010 camaro?

Got my CGM A6 SS recently from camaroscotty (damn convenient that his dealership is only 30 min north of where I live) and have a few questions for the assembled members of C5

1. Cleaning it. Now, those of you in, say, Alabama might not realize this, but activities outside this time of year involving water are...less than enjoyable. Unless it's with a snowmobile. Bluntly cleaning your car yourself is a "freezing your rear off, with becoming wet to help" as a bonus type of event. This means I need a place where I can take it to get the salt and dirt off of it, that won't do horrible, horrible things to my paint. I read on a subforum that taking it to a laser touchless carwash (same kind you have at many gas stations) is ok, but wanted to see what everyone else thought. Suggestions?

Oh and "don't drive it in winter" will be ignored thanks

2. I have a 2SS..now one thing I noticed is my ipod touch doesn't seem to work when plugged into the USB jack (works fine if I plug it into the aux input and not the USB just like I do in my impala though). However I could be doing something wrong (good chance actually) and haven't had the time or patience to figure it out. Am I not that bright, or does it not work? If I'm not that bright, how do you make it work.

3. Wisconsin is a "front license plate" state. However, it's well known that the governor wants to save money by eliminating the front plate. Therefore, I'm not exactly in a rush to have possibly soon-to-be-uneeded holes drilled in my front bumper for a plate bracket that I might not need in the future. My not exactly brilliant temporary idea of putting the plate on my front dash isn't working. It slides around when you turn hard, or mash the gas (not that you'd ever do that in a camaro ) and rattles when you turn up the radio - aka it's annoying. What I'd like is something that would hold my plate on the front, not require me to have anything drilled into my bumper, won't damage my paint - and is not too difficult to remove if I want to do that. Plus, it of course can't fall off. Any suggestions, or is there an appointment with a drill in my future?

While I'm at it I'll again give a too camaroscotty and the team at Newman Chevy. The first dealer I went to tried to bait and switch me; I then went straight to Scott and berated myself for not doing that in the first place. I got discounts automatically thrown in that I didn't even ask for (but qualified for), and after I had paid for the car, they then told me that they had "accidentally overcharged me 950+ bucks, sorry for that, he's a refund". They could have of course kept the money and said nothing, and I would not have even known, but obviously they don't work that way.

I quickly learned that in fact, Scott may sell too many camaros as when I was there the finance guy expressed a great deal of relief that I was from in state, instead of, say Alaska. Seems that when they have to send a car out of state, he has to be sure the paperwork is right, and having to learn 50 states of correct paperwork is worrying him greatly However this of course does not stop them from going all out to help customers, even out of state ones, as he was working on paper for a customer in Hawaii when I was there (and looking like that guy was going to save a ton as well). So if you're looking for a camaro (or any chevy) and your local dealer is being a jerk, give him a call.
Kai Lae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's good to hear another experience with CamaroScotty went so well. I'll be talking to him at some time in the near future unless someone wants to just give me a Camaro. I'd tip well.

If you're going to drive it, you've got to clean it. Sadly, that means going out in the cold. I'm sure someone has better tips on this than me.

I've been trying to figure out your USB-iPod issue and have yet to receive a true response on whether it works with AAC format, the iTunes standard, or only MP3. A true answer on this issue will determine wether I go aftermarket or PDIM.

Is it legal to attach your plate to your passenger side mirror? This might be the approach I take.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Lae View Post
Got my CGM A6 SS recently from camaroscotty (damn convenient that his dealership is only 30 min north of where I live) and have a few questions for the assembled members of C5

1. Cleaning it. Now, those of you in, say, Alabama might not realize this, but activities outside this time of year involving water are...less than enjoyable. Unless it's with a snowmobile. Bluntly cleaning your car yourself is a "freezing your rear off, with becoming wet to help" as a bonus type of event. This means I need a place where I can take it to get the salt and dirt off of it, that won't do horrible, horrible things to my paint. I read on a subforum that taking it to a laser touchless carwash (same kind you have at many gas stations) is ok, but wanted to see what everyone else thought. Suggestions?

Oh and "don't drive it in winter" will be ignored thanks

2. I have a 2SS..now one thing I noticed is my ipod touch doesn't seem to work when plugged into the USB jack (works fine if I plug it into the aux input and not the USB just like I do in my impala though). However I could be doing something wrong (good chance actually) and haven't had the time or patience to figure it out. Am I not that bright, or does it not work? If I'm not that bright, how do you make it work.

3. Wisconsin is a "front license plate" state. However, it's well known that the governor wants to save money by eliminating the front plate. Therefore, I'm not exactly in a rush to have possibly soon-to-be-uneeded holes drilled in my front bumper for a plate bracket that I might not need in the future. My not exactly brilliant temporary idea of putting the plate on my front dash isn't working. It slides around when you turn hard, or mash the gas (not that you'd ever do that in a camaro ) and rattles when you turn up the radio - aka it's annoying. What I'd like is something that would hold my plate on the front, not require me to have anything drilled into my bumper, won't damage my paint - and is not too difficult to remove if I want to do that. Plus, it of course can't fall off. Any suggestions, or is there an appointment with a drill in my future?

While I'm at it I'll again give a too camaroscotty and the team at Newman Chevy. The first dealer I went to tried to bait and switch me; I then went straight to Scott and berated myself for not doing that in the first place. I got discounts automatically thrown in that I didn't even ask for (but qualified for), and after I had paid for the car, they then told me that they had "accidentally overcharged me 950+ bucks, sorry for that, he's a refund". They could have of course kept the money and said nothing, and I would not have even known, but obviously they don't work that way.

I quickly learned that in fact, Scott may sell too many camaros as when I was there the finance guy expressed a great deal of relief that I was from in state, instead of, say Alaska. Seems that when they have to send a car out of state, he has to be sure the paperwork is right, and having to learn 50 states of correct paperwork is worrying him greatly However this of course does not stop them from going all out to help customers, even out of state ones, as he was working on paper for a customer in Hawaii when I was there (and looking like that guy was going to save a ton as well). So if you're looking for a camaro (or any chevy) and your local dealer is being a jerk, give him a call.
1) I guess i'm exempt, I love -live in SoCal

2) I think i'm exempt here too, 1SS

3) Ok here, now here is something I have to deal with. I plan on begging for mercy, and probably paying my fine if the day comes. But NEVER put your license plate on your dash. Most states (that have these rediculous laws) will not accept the *dash-plate*. CA is a distance from the front of the car and ground i think. Anyway, that thing is a guillotine on your dash board. Get it off there!

If you really don't wanna bend the law (by not hurting anyone), there are a ton of threads related to this subject.

(and great Camaroscotty plug! )
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
I am a CamaroScotty buyer also. Only difference is I am in waiting. Really happy with the process so far and Scotty has been VERY helpful in getting all the information I need to get the mods I want installed when it gets to his dealership soon. Just waiting on him getting a firm price on my Hurst short throw than I should be all set than I just sit back and wait.
Wish I could help with your questions but mine won't be driven in the winter so I am useless on that question and the Ipod one..Hell,I have trouble playing a radio much less an Ipod lol. I'l send you my 13 year old,she would probably have it figured out in two minutes lol. Kids now a days
And great to hear from another Cheesehead!! Take care
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
I have my i pod touch connected through the usb and it works fine. The only thing that I can think of is to make sure you are trying to control it through the dash and not on the i pod itself.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
DC-SS

Drives: Imperial Blue 2010 Camaro 2SS
I don't think the iPod cable will work with the iTouch in the car for some reason... I had to change cables and mine works...
DC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Kai Lae

Hmm I'll have that then - you mean the USB cable that came with the ipod right?. Anyone got a suggestion at least on a good place generally to have it washed?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Kai Lae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Is it legal to attach your plate to your passenger side mirror? This might be the approach I take.
I don't think it's legal, and it probably would look like hell IMO as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

Your kidding right? If not,omg is all I can think of. (Ok,a few more things but I will leave it at that)
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I have a 30gig ipod in mine and it works fine via usb. Even changes songs from the steering wheel controls. Every now and then for some reason, it needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to be recognized.

The laser touchless works fine. If you're getting road salt try to find one that has the undercarriage spray as you drive into it. Only problem with these carwashes is that you get a buildup that only hand washing will get off. If you want that clean shine wash by hand if you get a nice day. Otherwise drive through to get salt off and most road dirt.

I've hand washed mine when it was below 30, just towel dry as soon as possible, wash and dry small areas at a time working from top down. Most important is to dry all the door and window seals thoroughly so they don't get frozen shut.

Last edited by CWI; 01-15-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Lae View Post
Hmm I'll have that then - you mean the USB cable that came with the ipod right?. Anyone got a suggestion at least on a good place generally to have it washed?
Someplace touchless in the winter time, then obviously when it gets warm do it yourself.

The kwik trips around here have a pretty good wash.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Corsec

Drives: 2010 2ss
Just got my car out of the shop yesterday. Requested they perform the new update to the module that controls the usb port. Worked awesome when I got it back. Before the update I would plug my iphone into the usb and get a erratic results that were different every time, but never did it hook up and actually work. Now I have full control of Itunes on my iphone through the radio and steering wheel.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Kai Lae

There's an update out for it? Anyone know when it was applied/how do you tell if you need it (other than, it doesn't work, which is a pretty good indication). Also, I own a garmin GPS - in my field of work, getting lost used to be an occupational hazard, so it's a big deal since I got one. Problem is, though the power cord plugs into the lighter jack in my impala (barely) it just won't seemingly go in far enough in the camaro. Any suggestions for this?