Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Resolved1LE

Drives: 2015 1LE
Random misfire turbo car

I have a Hellion Twin Turbo, E85, aux fuel pump, 1le factory pump, sbe and stock cam, 95lb injectors and meth. I have random misfire at 11lbs of boost not 7 or 8 and very rarely at 9/10 but when I go to 11. Looking for ideas. I have ceramic spark plug wires, stock coils, and ngk spark plugs gapped at .030.
Resolved1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolved1LE View Post
I have a Hellion Twin Turbo, E85, aux fuel pump, 1le factory pump, sbe and stock cam, 95lb injectors and meth. I have random misfire at 11lbs of boost not 7 or 8 and very rarely at 9/10 but when I go to 11. Looking for ideas. I have ceramic spark plug wires, stock coils, and ngk spark plugs gapped at .030.
Close plug gap to .020-.025 and I bet it goes away
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
11-Camaro

Drives: 11 Camaro SS, Ninja 1000, Santa Fe
You are spot-on ttshovel...

Just returned from my tune session yesterday and we replaced the plugs with NGK 3346 BR7EF. It was a hell of a trip to Houston to MS Tuning because I never had an issue and on the way there the car died several times do to a misfire. Eventually several of the plugs failed and I literally rolled into an Autozone parking lot as it died. I wasted $78 dollars on plugs their 7397 NGK Iridium. It got me to the shop (even though it did misfire once). As soon as I got there Matt replaced them and the gap is in fact .025.

The tune session went great and I was happy with 813.8 WHP with 12.4psi boost on E85 with the hub dyno. I bought a HPTuner for data logging as well because there are still some tweaks I will send back and forth to to Matt.
11-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11-Camaro View Post

Just returned from my tune session yesterday and we replaced the plugs with NGK 3346 BR7EF. It was a hell of a trip to Houston to MS Tuning because I never had an issue and on the way there the car died several times do to a misfire. Eventually several of the plugs failed and I literally rolled into an Autozone parking lot as it died. I wasted $78 dollars on plugs their 7397 NGK Iridium. It got me to the shop (even though it did misfire once). As soon as I got there Matt replaced them and the gap is in fact .025.

The tune session went great and I was happy with 813.8 WHP with the hub dyno. I bought a HPTuner for data logging as well because there are still some tweaks I will send back and forth to to Matt.
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11-Camaro View Post

The tune session went great and I was happy with 813.8 WHP with 12.4psi boost on E85 with the hub dyno. I bought a HPTuner for data logging as well because there are still some tweaks I will send back and forth to to Matt.
Genuine plugs simply do not fail, nevermind all of them. Either they're Chinese fakes or there has been some user error that has harmed them
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
11-Camaro

Drives: 11 Camaro SS, Ninja 1000, Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Genuine plugs simply do not fail, nevermind all of them. Either they're Chinese fakes or there has been some user error that has harmed them

From what I have been reading is that the spark can be blown out if there is too much gap with boosted motors. I am more a novice but was curious about that myself as in what would have caused that. I will also add the second set of plugs I purchased also failed once on the last leg of that trip. The 3rd set of replaced plugs on the return trip had no issues but that was with a new tune as well. I really wish I knew what caused it myself so I knew what to look out for.
11 Camaro TT SS. 14 1LE motor, full coilover, CNC ported LSA heads, stainless valves, dual springs, Comp 224 cam, Melling oil pump, AGP Garrett GTX30r's, 1400cc injectors, full 3" Magnaflow, dual Walbro 450lph fuel pump, ZL1 6L90 trans, trans cooler, Circle-D 3600, 3.91:1 Eaton Truetrac, line lock, Lingenfelter 2 step. Current boost - e85 814 RWHP.
11-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Sounds like an extremely bad tune likely drowned the old plugs in fuel or something.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote