Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Gen52SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Side Air Bags Deploy In Autocross

I've been autocrossing now for 7 months at this point I'd like to free up the rear just a little as the car has built in understeer. Looking to get the ass end just a bit loose. i have been warned by some drivers in my SCCA Club if I do I'll set off the side air bags. They have posted of course the famous video of the Gen 5 blowing the side air bags while drifting. I'm going to say many of you have been AXing your cars with NO problems correct?
Gen52SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I've spun out as have a few of the other fifth gens in our local SCCA. Some even off the course completely. None have had air bags deployed. I have seen the videos of it happening but think it's a car by car basis. I just go for it. Keep in mind tho that if you ass end is kicking out to much your scrubbing speed and going slower. Looks cooler tho.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
CamaroSSNOLA

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
This is my first post on the forum btw, but I've been autcrossing 4 times and have been fine. I was told at my last even (a week ago) they recently had a camaro whose side airbags went off. I'd guess its a car to car issue like the poster above me said, but I don't have any knowledge on airbag systems.

I searched the forum and found some people saying this happened to them, but most of the threads were useless arguing about "should gm cover this" or "our cars are performance cars, it shouldn't happen", etc.

What I'd be curious to know is if the traction control settings have any effect on this. I run in competitive mode or with TC/stabilitrak all off, so does the car desensitize the side airbag system to allow the car to be driven harder?
One guy who said this happened had traction control on. I wonder if anyone had this happen in competitive mode or with everything off.

The guys at my autox course recommended pulling a fuse, I only found one for "airbag" in the manual. I didn't want to disable all the airbags so I left it alone.
CamaroSSNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Needing any airbags at a properly set up autocross is pretty unlikely, and if you're running with Washington DC Region I would expect nothing less than proper course layouts.

I never worried about not even having air bags in two of the cars I autocrossed over the years, not even after two of my newer cars had them. Hell, I've had an airbag recall notice for one of those cars (not the Mustang) sitting in front of me for quite a while now, just haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've spun out more times then I can remember. I've got some good video of it from inside the car and have had my stability light come on a few times but all good so I've been lucky maybe but I would thing the airbag deployment is the exception not the rule.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSNOLA View Post
This is my first post on the forum btw, but I've been autcrossing 4 times and have been fine. I was told at my last even (a week ago) they recently had a camaro whose side airbags went off. I'd guess its a car to car issue like the poster above me said, but I don't have any knowledge on airbag systems.

I searched the forum and found some people saying this happened to them, but most of the threads were useless arguing about "should gm cover this" or "our cars are performance cars, it shouldn't happen", etc.

What I'd be curious to know is if the traction control settings have any effect on this. I run in competitive mode or with TC/stabilitrak all off, so does the car desensitize the side airbag system to allow the car to be driven harder?
One guy who said this happened had traction control on. I wonder if anyone had this happen in competitive mode or with everything off.

The guys at my autox course recommended pulling a fuse, I only found one for "airbag" in the manual. I didn't want to disable all the airbags so I left it alone.
A guy that I track with on road courses (not autocross) had his airbags go off. He tracks with stability control off. His passenger's skin got abraded and burned by the seat belt tensioning during deployment. She was wearing a tank top. He said that he didn't hit any curbing and wasn't drifting or spinning, it just went off during hard driving.

The airbag fuse is easy to pull. Just pull it when you track or autocross.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Gen52SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
How about posting a location or fuse number? I've been driving hard at autocross this season 8 months with no issues nannies always off.
Gen52SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
A guy that I track with on road courses (not autocross) had his airbags go off. He tracks with stability control off. His passenger's skin got abraded and burned by the seat belt tensioning during deployment. She was wearing a tank top. He said that he didn't hit any curbing and wasn't drifting or spinning, it just went off during hard driving.

The airbag fuse is easy to pull. Just pull it when you track or autocross.
And wear proper PPE.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Technically there are 4 fuses that are part of the SIR system. I'm not sure if just pulling a specific fuse will disable the system as it would/should show a fault in the system. Here they are:

Instrument panel
F24 AOS Fuse
F3 AIRBAG Fuse

Underhood
F17UA SDM/IGN Fuse
F18UA RUN/CRANK Body fuse
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
From what I've seen all of the Airbag deployments have been on 2011's. Anyone seen any other years? That being said, our 2011 Shop SS has never deployed it's airbags and it sees a lot of track time and autocross. I think it would have to be the perfect scenario to make it happen.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Steve_RS_Camaro
Ain't Scared Racing

Drives: 2015 Summit White Camaro Z28
Just had mine deploy yesterday 2011 RS.
Attached Images

Steve_RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
What were you doing when they deployed?

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #13
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Well there's another to add to the 2011 list... seems like maybe that year is the main issue?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Steve_RS_Camaro
Ain't Scared Racing

Drives: 2015 Summit White Camaro Z28
Hard right turn hit the rumbles just a bit and was just starting to get on the gas, all tires stayed on the ground, all traction control/stabilititrac off, shifter in the M position not using the paddle shifters.
Steve_RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote