Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
sjharbaugh

Drives: 2010 IBM RS SS Vin 11498
Engine Temp tran temp failure

About a year ago, I had the engine temp and transmission temp gauge go all the way to the left. At this time I also got an AC off due to engine overtemp.
I found the solution on this site. It was to disengage the harness next to the under hood fuse box, clean and reattach. This solved the issue for almost a year.

2010 RS SS vin # 11498, early production

NOW it does it every time I start it. It is fine for 15-20 min then it happens. I pull over disconnect, reconnect and its fine. Until the next time I drive it. As it is my daily driver this is now twice a day.

Is this a recall item? Has to be a connection in the harness. I am very mechanically inclined. Thinking of taking apart the harness connector, one of the wires has to be making bad connection.

I have attached a picture with some descriptions of what is happening
Attached Images
File Type: pdf harness.pdf (1.29 MB, 214 views)
sjharbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
sjharbaugh

Also, Car has 95K miles and would like to know if this is covered under the power train warranty?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Try some contact cleaner I use LPS no flash, just make sure the plastic is compatible or it may melt or distort it. Some contact cleaners are Extremely flammable as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
sjharbaugh

Bought the exact cleaner recommended. Will advise tomorrow after I get to work.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
sjharbaugh

That DID NOT solve the problem, appx 10 miles into my 30 mile drive it did it again. Pulled over, disconnected, reconnected, worked normal the rest of the way in.

I have purchased this morning silver conductive grease:
The CircuitWorks CW7100 is a 0.23 oz syringe of CircuitWorks® silver conductive grease.

CircuitWorks CW7100 Features:
Provides maximum electrical and thermal conductivity, lubrication, and protection
Syringe dispenser for precise application of grease
Controls static discharge
Protects against moisture and corrosion
Conductive lubricant containing pure silver
Grounds circuits
Fills connector gaps to maximize conductivity
Thermally stable over a wide temperature range of -70°F - 485°F (-57°C - 252°C

Going to try this and see if I can get it to work.

Still looking for a GM solution or even if this is a known problem for the car.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Guelphguy

Drives: 2013 - 2SS Vert
Not sure if this is related or not....

I was traveling in Florida last week, received the "AC off due to High Engine Temp" warning, read online that people had disengaged/reengaged that exact harness you have pictured, so I did that and the warning went away. My Temp guage was all the way to right, so not actually overheating as my eng oil temp and trans oil temp guages were all good.....anyway...after open/closing that hardness, later that evening, my "D" drive indicator was flashing, car shifted weird, then later the ses came on.
The car then spent a week at the dealer and they hunted for a "voltage" issue, which after talking to GM engineering they ended up replacing the engine compartment fuse block. Been good since. Just a thought but if there is a voltage problem maybe it resets with open/close of that harness but might only be temporary and then as the voltage drops?
I had a mechanic tell me that he has seen a lot of "cheap" GM engine fuse boxes cause various electrical issues as they are so flimsy now and tend to let moisture in.
Guelphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
sjharbaugh

I took it to the dealer yesterday. They took pictures and are going to contact GM today and let me know something. Hope to hear something today.

Best experience I have ever had at this dealership.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
sjharbaugh

Still nothing from the dealer.
Silver grease no help.

Now I just remove the harness and replace before every drive and it works fine. I am resetting something. Need a wiring diagram or someone who has had this repaired.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That is the harness that feeds the ECM, if the connecter is good, your ECM may be going bad, i will try to get you some print out today.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
sjharbaugh

Thanks, looking at replacing the ECM online. Seems easy enough. Any recommended vendors? A great recommendation would make me feel warm and fuzzy! Programming it right is important!
And is the key relearn something easy to do?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
chevy24@Gen5diy

Drives: 2010 1SS
x102 connector

The connector is X102, see if these help you out..
Attached Images

chevy24@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
sjharbaugh

I thank you for the information. Is there a translation guide...lol
I can do some deduction of what it is not and see if I can find where they go from the harness.
I am assuming the part I am unplugging is the incoming and where it plugs into is the outgoing, so I am figuring what or wherever the problem it is downstream of the fixed part of the connector.
I will trace out what I can.
The ECM is available, asked dealer how much to diagnose, he is supposed to get back to me. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #13
sjharbaugh

SOLVED
I wanted to thank everyone for your help.
I got with my dealer, no suggestions except $120 and hour until they figure it out plus parts and labor associated with the parts. I know, that's why they are in business. Solution and fix completed below!
I was told of a shop here in St.Pete less than 2 miles from my office called Powertech Performance. Specialize in LS motors, have Dyno and came highly recommended.
Hooked me up to the computer, looked the code up and on the Camaro5 board somewhere they found the solution to the code in the computer. A combo of the mass air flow sensor, oil temp sensor and coolant sensor. The tech guided me through the process of elimination for the fix. NO CHARGE!!! Ended up a simple cleaning of the mass air flow sensor with the right cleaner ($9.00) and she is good as new.
Bad part is I am dropping her off for $1,600 worth of maintenance / mods on Tuesday morning. Not really bad but you know![/QUOTE]
Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Interesting that removing that harness had you good for a year though! Crazy, but glad you are good to go (hopefully still are). Odd that MAF would cause those symptoms I think...
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, help please, recall, service, warranty