Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Phrogpilot

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Exclamation The unthinkable happened, Need help!

The unthinkable happened. My neighbor pulled out of his driveway in his F350 work van and drove right into my Mint 2012 Victory Red ZL1 that just rolled over 10000 miles.
Car is literally Mint, Garage kept under a cover, never driven in the rain, still smells new inside and litterally didn't have a scratch on it. Hit the entire drivers side, actually he hit it so hard it pushed the front tire up and over the curb. This car was my forever car, my retirement present to myself for completing 5 combat tours and 25 years in the Marines...
Now Allstate is trying to screw me (obviously that's what insurance companies do...). I told them I was not interested in having a wrecked car and told them to either find me another Mint 2012 with 10k miles or under or pay me the $45k and take the car. They offered to purchase the car from me for $25k and to give me a $7k check for "repairs"... (and its been over 10 days and I still don't have a rental...)
$32K just isn't going to cut it...
I paid $45k for the car, it is CPO and still under the CPO warranty. I know collector cars depreciate before they appreciate but what is a realistic value I can put on the car? Its Victory Red, black rims with carbon fiber hood scoop and sunroof. I also think the 2012's will be the most collectable as they are the first year of manufacture and lowest production numbers. I have looked on Autotrader and Cargurus for comparable vehicles and have also looked at KBB and NADA...

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated...
Phrogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
you will probably have to go to arbitration with this,they are not likely to be cooperative.there was a 2015 ZL1 on stingray chevys lot in plant city,no idea on mileage but it was in very nice condition, not a 2012 though.im sorry for your bad fortune.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Hate to say it , but lessons learned. Theses cars are not collectibles and you will only get fair market value or auction price. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, 2012's are going for $30k now. Lick your wounds take the money and start over, and drive that car.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Kanine

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
$32K sounds about right. I had an accident in my 2013 ZL1 and thats what they offered me, so it seems like you are getting a good deal. No Insurance company is going to give you more than what the car is worth today. Good luck though!
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Unless you have an agreed upon value policy, your gonna get market value. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Phrogpilot

Thanks but why such a negative attitude?
What lesson is learned? Not to park your car on your property at your house?

ZL1's are not collectables? My father used to race cars with Don Yenko and said the very same thing about his "Loud Camaros" back in the day...LOL

Not sure where you can find a Mint CPO 2012 ZL1 with less than 10K miles for $30k though. If you look at Autotrader and Cargus they are between $38k-$48K...???

Thanks for the input though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Hate to say it , but lessons learned. Theses cars are not collectibles and you will only get fair market value or auction price. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, 2012's are going for $30k now. Lick your wounds take the money and start over, and drive that car.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogpilot View Post
Thanks but why such a negative attitude?
What lesson is learned? Not to park your car on your property at your house?

ZL1's are not collectables? My father used to race cars with Don Yenko and said the very same thing about his "Loud Camaros" back in the day...LOL

Not sure where you can find a Mint CPO 2012 ZL1 with less than 10K miles for $30k though. If you look at Autotrader and Cargus they are between $38k-$48K...???

Thanks for the input though...
It's a mass produced car, sorry... The prices you are seeing on line are asking prices, not what they are getting. These cars are being found at dealers with low miles, because owners thought the same as you. And yes they are selling for $30k. Good luck !!!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it sucks.my car is a humble RS but i park out in the boonies,try to stay away from semis,etc. and the windshield still has more than a fair share of divots.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Phrogpilot

Sorry, I guess I still don't understand your logic. Wasn't the 1969 Z-28 mass produced and they made over 20,000 of them? Is it a collector car now? Weren't they also 5 years old at one point?

Plus I must say thanks, I appreciate your compassion for my losing my most valuable possession...

Quote:
It's a mass produced car, sorry... The prices you are seeing on line are asking prices, not what they are getting. These cars are being found at dealers with low miles, because owners thought the same as you. And yes they are selling for $30k. Good luck !!!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogpilot View Post
Sorry, I guess I still don't understand your logic. Wasn't the 1969 Z-28 mass produced and they made over 20,000 of them? Is it a collector car now? Weren't they also 5 years old at one point?

Plus I must say thanks, I appreciate your compassion for my losing my most valuable possession...
I understand your frustration, but the comparison you make isn't logical.

If that 1969 Z-28 was hit right now, you would get it's worth today as well... remember, it's almost 40 years old (you would probably need collectors/classic car insurance to truly get what it's real value is). If we were in Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine, and it was 1974 and it was hit, you would get what it was worth in 1974.

They are telling you the real world facts. Even if you don't like what you hear, it's what the real facts are.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
1st off i want to say thank you for your service time. my family both mom and dads sides have a long history in the service. my grandpa being a flying tiger in ww2
the way i see it you have 3 options. 1. take the money and find one with more miles or not the color you wanted. 2. get a lawyer and enter in to negotiations with your insurance company or 3.... the worst of all sue you neighbor and HIS insurance company for all the money your car was worth since it was parked on your property. sorry to say it but your not going to get all of your money back that you spent. its a mass produced car no insurance company is going to care about the brand name model and trim package and it being 5 years old or how special it was to you.

a insurance company's job is to pay as little as they can getaway with. if you still have the car id would find some one who is a car expert who does appraisals for high end cars to come and give a estament of its worth based on before the damage was done and its mechanical condition wear and tear currently. and given how upset you sound you took insane care of your car.

otherwise your SOL. lawsuit is possably your only way to get as close to the worth/value if not throw in a sob story of your service how hard you worked make up some mental anguish over the loss etc etc you get the point. no matter how you go about it things are going to get ugly
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Phrogpilot

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Thanks for the nice words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
1st off i want to say thank you for your service time. my family both mom and dads sides have a long history in the service. my grandpa being a flying tiger in ww2
the way i see it you have 3 options. 1. take the money and find one with more miles or not the color you wanted. 2. get a lawyer and enter in to negotiations with your insurance company or 3.... the worst of all sue you neighbor and HIS insurance company for all the money your car was worth since it was parked on your property. sorry to say it but your not going to get all of your money back that you spent. its a mass produced car no insurance company is going to care about the brand name model and trim package and it being 5 years old or how special it was to you.

a insurance company's job is to pay as little as they can getaway with. if you still have the car id would find some one who is a car expert who does appraisals for high end cars to come and give a estament of its worth based on before the damage was done and its mechanical condition wear and tear currently. and given how upset you sound you took insane care of your car.

otherwise your SOL. lawsuit is possably your only way to get as close to the worth/value if not throw in a sob story of your service how hard you worked make up some mental anguish over the loss etc etc you get the point. no matter how you go about it things are going to get ugly
Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
Phrogpilot

Guess that means you would sell me your 2012 ZL1 for $30k then, right???

Quote:
Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
First and foremost THANK YOU for your service. After 5 tours you deserve better treatment and gratitude.

Unfortunately unless you have a full replacement policy you may be stuck. However your insurance company should fight hard for you since this is clearly 100% your neighbors fault and his insurance company should pay. Don't give up! Ask your insurance to fight for you. Contact company management not just your rep. I had to go to GM customer complaint line and spend weeks over a $600 spoiler because my dealers service manager was a jerk who lied to me.

Best of luck!! If I ran Allstate I'd fix it for you no questions because it's the right thing to do. But alas ....
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote