Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Kooks off road vs high flow cats

Is there a major sound difference between the 2? Pros and cons of each.
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Shutudwn

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
I can't speak specifically for Kooks but I had Solo hf cats and switched to BBK off road pipes. It's way louder, in a good way. If you have to worry about emissions or inspection then keep the cats. As long as you have mufflers the sound isn't too outrageous.

You will also need a tune to take of the check engine light, assuming you don't have headers.
Shutudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
mdean2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro2SS/RS
No emissions in Iowa. Ditched original cats for off road pipes with LT headers. Sound difference in incredible. Tune out the rear O2's and youre good to go.
mdean2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
KickerZ71

I’m running the solo Mach XC, is for a convertible.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
I've had both. Sound difference is pretty minor. It's louder catless, but only at WOT, and only slightly louder. The more noticeable difference is the tone, which is a bit raspier without cats, and the smell.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
They sound and perform basically the same. The smell is maybe the only difference. That depends on tune though. My experience has been people look at off road to save money, then use the other possible things (louder/more power) to justify.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
KickerZ71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
They sound and perform basically the same. The smell is maybe the only difference. That depends on tune though. My experience has been people look at off road to save money, then use the other possible things (louder/more power) to justify.
Honest answer thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
High flow cats take some of the rasp out of the sound of the exhaust. There's negligible performance difference and catless midpipes smell of unburned fuel. As Maryland Speed said, often times people go with off road pipes to save money over high flow cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Biggest sound related difference is rasp - your cackles and pops will be "sharper" catless than even with a highflow cat. Overall volume is pretty similar, but there is a definite difference in tone.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I can get mine to do some fairly loud backfires/decel pops that'll make peeps duck and cover...lulz...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #11
KickerZ71

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
I can get mine to do some fairly loud backfires/decel pops that'll make peeps duck and cover...lulz...

LOL
Old 11-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
One little tidbit of information though; shops can be fined 10,000$ per occasion of removing cats on a car so equipped and you may of course find some who does it but I guarantee you if you ever get a exhaust fix it ticket for being too loud and have to retrofit in cats afterward the smell you tolerate and the thought in your mind of the money saved not getting high flow cats...well that will be overcome most likely with some money for the ticket.... If it ever happens, and the cost of adding them in if not having to return to stock in some places, I am lucky they allow headers in Oregon for stock exhaust replacement.

Many alter their cars with the muffler delete also which can in some places be illegal as its all in the law. Old cars I always did just a collector flange to the exhaust, some places make their "off road " pipe to resemble a high flow cat...and that would be to fake out a cop getting nosey..... being that I am old yes I have been pulled over several times over the decades with varied cars with headers.....I always had mufflers though and made the exhaust go behind the rear axle.....And if necessary used Monza tips. Rasp and smell both go up with out cats, legality goes up with them and fresh air...
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #13
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutudwn View Post
I can't speak specifically for Kooks but I had Solo hf cats and switched to BBK off road pipes. It's way louder, in a good way. If you have to worry about emissions or inspection then keep the cats. As long as you have mufflers the sound isn't too outrageous.

You will also need a tune to take of the check engine light, assuming you don't have headers.
I have ran Solo high flow for 50k on my Camaro, switching back to stock today as there was no noticeable difference and are really meant for off road use. Glad i tried them. My C7 will stay stock with the npp.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I have ran Solo high flow for 50k on my Camaro, switching back to stock today as there was no noticeable difference and are really meant for off road use. Glad i tried them. My C7 will stay stock with the npp.
You can't tell a difference between high flow cats and stock cats? Maybe it's just a V8 thing, but I'm absolutely floored that you couldn't tell a difference. Update us after going back stock and let us know if you'd just gotten used to the difference or if there really wasn't anything different in your experience.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote