Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
NuGzToKeN

Drives: 2012 2ss "BaRoN"
Finally... some headers :)... needing some opinions here

Need some help fellas.. so, I finally managed to scrounge up enough money to get some LT headers and hopefully a tune for my baby... thing is, I'm running Magnaflow 16580 catback, now from what I've read in a couple posts, not a lot of fellas recommend getting headers with these.. "too obnoxiously loud", they say.. and I cant seem find a single video of anyone running this set up.. I can definitely use some advice here guys... thoughts, opinions.. ideas? Anyone running the same set up maybe have a video you wanna share?? Anyways... got about $2000.. give or take.. to spend.. and I'm all ears to anything yall wanna throw at me haha... thnx in advance guys
NuGzToKeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
it'll sound good. i basically had the same set-up and it was perfect.

definitely get it tuned though after you put headers on
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Are you keeping cats or going catless? That has a significant role in the tone of the exhaust, catless will be more sharp with the cackles, pops and overall rasp. An aggressive catback before doing headers and catless might sound ok, and then become unbearable afterwards. It's all in the eye of the beholder though.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Good luck in your hunt and build. I don't know much about this stuff & I'm usually wrong anyhow. But I am use to it.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
TLewis24

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I lost a bunch of pops/crackles with my headers (more air flow.) and then lost almost all my crackles with my cam :( sad day although I prefer the sound of the cam way more lol, I agree with the comments above that cat vs catless will be a huge contributor to the tone.
TLewis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I think it'll be fine. Resonated X + muffler delete is common, and that's basically what the 16580 is. If it was 3" I'd say it would be obnoxious. But it should be fine. If it's too much in the cabin just add a set of resonators or J pipes.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
You will be fine. It will sound nice. Draw on your own opinion when it comes to exhaust sound
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuGzToKeN View Post
Need some help fellas.. so, I finally managed to scrounge up enough money to get some LT headers and hopefully a tune for my baby... thing is, I'm running Magnaflow 16580 catback, now from what I've read in a couple posts, not a lot of fellas recommend getting headers with these.. "too obnoxiously loud", they say.. and I cant seem find a single video of anyone running this set up.. I can definitely use some advice here guys... thoughts, opinions.. ideas? Anyone running the same set up maybe have a video you wanna share?? Anyways... got about $2000.. give or take.. to spend.. and I'm all ears to anything yall wanna throw at me haha... thnx in advance guys
The very first video I found on Youtube...at the top.

and here's the page so you can see the other results with that exact or similar same setup.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...6580+longtubes
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
NuGzToKeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Are you keeping cats or going catless? That has a significant role in the tone of the exhaust, catless will be more sharp with the cackles, pops and overall rasp. An aggressive catback before doing headers and catless might sound ok, and then become unbearable afterwards. It's all in the eye of the beholder though.
planning on going with high flow cats
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuGzToKeN View Post
planning on going with high flow cats
I think you'll be on the tame side plenty enough. Enjoy!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
The Magnaflow is not overly aggressive alone, adding headers will certainly amplify the sound level. It will sound really good overall though. Like others have mentioned, you can always add resonators in if you feel it is too loud for your taste.

We can get you setup with a nice system and remote mail-order tuning!
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:10 AM   #12
NuGzToKeN

Thanx for all the reply guys.. sorry it took so long for me to hey back on... graveyard shifts bin kicking my ass lol...feeling pretty confident now about getting the headers not to mention.. pretty damn psyched.... bin talking to dynosteve. Hopefully by next week we can put something together for set up... can hardly wait