Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
ACEPA
3 Camaro man!

Drives: Camaro 2.0 T
My side markers have no wiring 2018 RS

A special wiring question on my 6th Gen 2018 RS Camaro. My new China RS Camaro to my surprize does no use side marker lights only reflectors. I purchased new tinted LED side marker but when I took off my first side maker to install it discovered there no bulb fitting or wiring both were completely missing. The old markers unit does not even have a hole for the bulb holder to fit in. Starting from nothing I wish to run a twin circuit power and ground around the whole car for all four marker lights but ask this question of you which is the correct power positive + connection location under the hood to use to power the side markers and have them come on automatically with the cars side lights?
ACEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Hmm...Good question. So my 2SS has the lit side lights and it looks like on the info screen I can actually turn them off. I think a lot of people want to keep them off or tint lens them.

I may be very wrong here - but with my Toyota Tundra - all the basic wiring plugs in the harness were run as part of the harness. So to add a back-up camera all that was needed was the camera, screen and the wiring pigtail to the camera - the harness connection plug was already there, tied up and away.

So what I am saying is you might only need the light plates and the wiring pigtail and no need to root around - so I would check to see if your car has the plugs on the main wiring harness already.

Maybe wishful thinking.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I'm pretty sure China gets the same export camaro as europe, so no sidemarker lights (just white reflectors) and no additional drl in the bumper.

Indeed the whole wiring was removed, so you have to find another source. I think the easiest way is just connect to the wiring of the licence plate lights.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEPA View Post
A special wiring question on my 6th Gen 2018 RS Camaro. My new China RS Camaro to my surprize does no use side marker lights only reflectors. I purchased new tinted LED side marker but when I took off my first side maker to install it discovered there no bulb fitting or wiring both were completely missing. The old markers unit does not even have a hole for the bulb holder to fit in. Starting from nothing I wish to run a twin circuit power and ground around the whole car for all four marker lights but ask this question of you which is the correct power positive + connection location under the hood to use to power the side markers and have them come on automatically with the cars side lights?
This info is for US models, but the basics should be the same. There are two fuse box locations - the Engine Compartment Fuse Block and the Rear Compartment Fuse Block (on the right side, under the trunk load floor). This should make it easier to wire the side marker lights, because you shouldn’t have to run wires all the way from the front of the car to the rear.

The front fuse block controls the headlights, but the side marker lights are not identified separately. Fuse F31 controls the right HID headlamp, and Fuse F32 controls the left HID headlamp. In addition, Fuse F36 controls the left high-beam headlamp and Fuse F37 controls the right high-beam headlamp.

Neither of the fuse blocks identifies taillights or the rear license plate light, although the rear fuse block does list Fuse F27 as RGB lights (whatever that means). On both fuse blocks, there are multiple unused spots, so you may be able to use a multimeter to find an appropriate one or two to use.

Having said all this, it may just be easier to identify the hot wire for each light on the four corners of your car and splice into that wire to power the closest marker light. If they’re LEDs, the additional load should not be a problem.

Good luck!
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #5
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Thread resurrection. I am also looking for the wire harness that connects to the front and rear side markers, in order to make them operational. Anyone has a set, or do you know where I can find one?
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
There is no further harness. You have to tab the front DRL’s and the rear light. I was locking for it as well. You have to change the entire harness. The connection is at the right dome. There is the connection to all the frond lights.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
what ever you decide make sure it's switched power, meaning 12 volts is present with the key on. I'd use the license plate wire like mentioned earlier.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
MakCamaro
Makis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
There is no further harness. You have to tab the front DRL’s and the rear light. I was locking for it as well. You have to change the entire harness. The connection is at the right dome. There is the connection to all the frond lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
what ever you decide make sure it's switched power, meaning 12 volts is present with the key on. I'd use the license plate wire like mentioned earlier.
Thank you guys. So let me see if I understand this correctly:

In regards to the rear side markers, I can tap into the license plate light. I have done this in the past when I fitted the DD rear side markers on my European Mustang, so I suppose it's done the same way. The way I did it, I just used the harness provided by DD, I tapped into the license plate light and then I worked underneath my way to each side marker. There was no need to remove the bumper. I hope the same applies for the Camaro. I have already contacted DD and they can send me the same harness used for the Mustang rear side markers, so this is sorted.

In regards to the front side markers, as Soleil suggested I should tap into the headlight DRL, right? Do I have to remove the front bumper in order to do that, or I can just work underneath or through the wheel well liner? Can you show me where exactly I will splice the wires?

I warn you, I might come back with more questions, lol!

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Soleil

Hi MakCamaro,
You don’t have to remove the front bumper. Here is a pic from the right side behind the wheel well liner. Tab the blue/gray wire.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2020, 02:16 AM   #10
MakCamaro
Makis

Thank you Soleil. This connection is made for the front side markers right? Do you have to do this on both sides?

One more question: for the rear side markers did you tap into the license plate light? If yes, again I suppose you had to work from underneath in order to guide the wires to the side markers and hide them under the rear bumper. Once again, if you have any pictures that would be very helpful!

Thanks man
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 AM   #11
Soleil

Hi MakCamaro,

no, the pic show the additional DRL’s in the grill. I don’t know the law at your side but you can tab the side marker also at the light wire. I didn’t connect my side marker due to street law.
For the wiring from the license plate maybe ssmofo can say more about it.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 AM   #12
MakCamaro
Makis

Thank you Soleil, very helpful. Obviously you did this for both sides.

One quick question: it seems that you can unplug the wire harness that goes to the headlight by pressing the red tab shown on your photos, right? I am asking this because I suppose that if the wires are long enough, it would be easier to unplug them and pull them out through the wheel well liner in order to do the splicing unobstructed. Once you finish, you can plug them back.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #13
Soleil

Yes, you have to slide the red tab back and than pull gently with force. Move the plug little to the left and right while you are pulling.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #14
MakCamaro
Makis

Great! Thank you very much Soleil. You 've been very helpful!