Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-31-2021, 02:39 AM   #1
DavoinShowerHandel

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Z/28 Suspension from Chevy or Aftermarket?

I'm in the planning stages of getting more serious with my build and was curious which was my best route to go as far as suspension goes. It's a weekend toy, and will see primarily street use with some recreational usage.

My goal is to be able to go to the track or strip and have a good time with it, but don't want to entirely ruin the enjoyment of driving it with the wife on occasion. I don't need or expect a ride as soft as stock or anything, but I'm not looking for a dedicated track car either. Would the Z/28 be a solid option, or would I be better off looking at aftermarket options? Thank you all in advance for any help or advice!
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Dyno Tuned by Brian Turner of Dyno Tune Motorsports
DavoinShowerHandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:38 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My understanding is the Z setup can be pretty harsh but another good option would be a set of Bilstien B6’s on a set of BMR or DSE 1-1.25 springs any lower and your gonna be draggin on the ground an ruin the ride and you get into rear drive line angle issues with the half shafts. If you’re thinking about a Z28 setup I don’t think it will do very well on a drag strip due to weight transfer from front to back or a lack there off.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Stock suspension currently? If primarily street use I'd lean towards the Z28 parts, at least as far as arms and bushings go, as they were designed for "track-ready" use and are also cheaper than aftermarket.

Not sure what to suggest for shocks/springs for drag use, but as mentioned Bilstein's B6's with BMR or DSE springs were highly recommended by JusticePete for street and light track use. JP also said you can't beat the ride quality of Ridetech, but you're paying a pretty penny for those.

In any case I'd recommend solid subframe bushings as they make a world of difference in stabilizing the rear on both cornering and accelerating, and don't (in my opinion) degrade the ride quality much if at all.

If you're still running the original rear sway bar (2010 - 2011 design) I'd also highly recommend upgrading to the new design - you'll also need 2012 - 2015 rear lower control arms to do this. The new, longer sway bar makes a huge difference compared to the shorter one, and helps for both cornering and launching. Perhaps go with 1LE or ZL1 bars, depending on your tire sizes (I have the JPSS bars and the rear is pretty stiff admittedly, but that doesn't bother me).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Stock suspension currently? If primarily street use I'd lean towards the Z28 parts, at least as far as arms and bushings go, as they were designed for "track-ready" use and are also cheaper than aftermarket.

Not sure what to suggest for shocks/springs for drag use, but as mentioned Bilstein's B6's with BMR or DSE springs were highly recommended by JusticePete for street and light track use. JP also said you can't beat the ride quality of Ridetech, but you're paying a pretty penny for those.

In any case I'd recommend solid subframe bushings as they make a world of difference in stabilizing the rear on both cornering and accelerating, and don't (in my opinion) degrade the ride quality much if at all.

If you're still running the original rear sway bar (2010 - 2011 design) I'd also highly recommend upgrading to the new design - you'll also need 2012 - 2015 rear lower control arms to do this. The new, longer sway bar makes a huge difference compared to the shorter one, and helps for both cornering and launching. Perhaps go with 1LE or ZL1 bars, depending on your tire sizes (I have the JPSS bars and the rear is pretty stiff admittedly, but that doesn't bother me).
I had read about switching to the upgraded sway bars, is that something that's also compatible with aftermarket stuff? If so does that mean I'd also need lower control arms designed for the newer models as well? Sorry for the load of questions, I'm new to the suspension world. I know of course I'm never going to get a setup that's necessarily perfect for both track and strip, just kinda looking for something that won't slaughter me on either one. Subframe bushings were the only piece I had purchased so far due to those seeming to be a universally recommended piece.
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Old 03-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
My understanding is the Z setup can be pretty harsh but another good option would be a set of Bilstien B6’s on a set of BMR or DSE 1-1.25 springs any lower and your gonna be draggin on the ground an ruin the ride and you get into rear drive line angle issues with the half shafts. If you’re thinking about a Z28 setup I don’t think it will do very well on a drag strip due to weight transfer from front to back or a lack there off.
Awesome thank you for the advice. I know I'm probably kinda sounding like I'm looking for a miracle suspension that doesn't exist, I'm basically just trying to piece together info to seem what sounds like a healthy mix, if that's even possible. I'll check out the Bilsteins.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I run the Z28 set up, but with the ZL1 rear bar. The crown jewel of the Z28 gear is the shocks and springs, but they are expensive new. I would go aftermarket before I would pay 5k for the DSSV shocks and springs. I bought mine used off an SCCA racer and while I really like them, they are not nearly worth the retail price IMO. You can definitely tell the difference over a 1LE set up, but I don't find them too harsh for a street/race car. Hitting a pothole reminds me of bit of a lowered mini pickup in the 90s. I would not run the Z28 bars without the rest of the suspension because they are smaller to prevent lifting a tire in a turn. The 1LE and ZL1 use 28mm bars and Justice Pete recommends a 32mm bar for the track. A lot of that depends on tires.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoinShowerHandel View Post
I had read about switching to the upgraded sway bars, is that something that's also compatible with aftermarket stuff? If so does that mean I'd also need lower control arms designed for the newer models as well? Sorry for the load of questions, I'm new to the suspension world. I know of course I'm never going to get a setup that's necessarily perfect for both track and strip, just kinda looking for something that won't slaughter me on either one. Subframe bushings were the only piece I had purchased so far due to those seeming to be a universally recommended piece.
All new style sway bars, factory or aftermarket, require the new style lower control arms (new arms are basically the same as old ones but with an extra hole to accept the new style link). From what I've noticed many aftermarket companies only make the bar, and you'll need factory links. I've never heard of a new style factory rear link breaking or bending from track use so I'd just use them, unless you're lowering the car and you can find adjustable links (not sure if anyone makes adjustable rear links, however). The sway bar should mount directly above the control arm, with the link perpendicular to the ground; if you lower the car the bar will be forced upward due to the length of the link, so cutting the link to reposition the sway bar is beneficial.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:49 AM   #8
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I run the Z28 set up, but with the ZL1 rear bar. The crown jewel of the Z28 gear is the shocks and springs, but they are expensive new. I would go aftermarket before I would pay 5k for the DSSV shocks and springs. I bought mine used off an SCCA racer and while I really like them, they are not nearly worth the retail price IMO. You can definitely tell the difference over a 1LE set up, but I don't find them too harsh for a street/race car. Hitting a pothole reminds me of bit of a lowered mini pickup in the 90s. I would not run the Z28 bars without the rest of the suspension because they are smaller to prevent lifting a tire in a turn. The 1LE and ZL1 use 28mm bars and Justice Pete recommends a 32mm bar for the track. A lot of that depends on tires.
The only question I have is, cost not being an issue, would you recommend the Z28 shocks/springs? Or would you say that aftermarket is going to perform better as well? Thanks for the detailed response!

Old 04-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoinShowerHandel View Post
The only question I have is, cost not being an issue, would you recommend the Z28 shocks/springs? Or would you say that aftermarket is going to perform better as well? Thanks for the detailed response!
The Z28 shocks and springs are a combination designed by the factory for road racing the GenV. Based on what I read, the only way to get better performance was to go with a coilover system, but that required a good bit of experience and knowledge of suspension geometry I don't have. I think they are an excellent choice for someone looking to do some track days and still drive on the street. I personally really like the setup and don't find their behavior on the street obnoxious at all.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
The Z28 shocks and springs are a combination designed by the factory for road racing the GenV. Based on what I read, the only way to get better performance was to go with a coilover system, but that required a good bit of experience and knowledge of suspension geometry I don't have. I think they are an excellent choice for someone looking to do some track days and still drive on the street. I personally really like the setup and don't find their behavior on the street obnoxious at all.
As you can tell, that's some knowledge I'm lacking as well. So I'll probably stick the Z28 ones, I'm sure they've got to be pretty serious anyways from all I've heard of those cars.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
If you are not a serious track day driver, the Z setup will most likely be too stiff for you. I currently have the Z setup on my '14 1LE with the exception of Detroit Speed springs and matching anti-roll bars. But I did run the Z/28 springs and anti roll bars originally. The springs are very stiff as are the dampers.

I think on your 2011, you would notice a nice change with just the 1LE setup, which would be the springs, dampers, anti-roll bars and suspension arms. And if you want it lowered, then the Detroit Speed drop springs would be a good choice.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #12
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
1LE Springs are the same as all SS’s. Just be aware that if you go past 1 1/4 drop you’ll need to get some offset Diff bushings to spare the axles from premature wear on the CV’s.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:27 AM   #13
Apharaoh06

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Aftermarket coilovers over DSSV shocks and struts. The other suspension parts will be hard to beat. The DSSV shocks and springs are a money pit. Not rebuildable, and can only be replaced with a used strut if you find one. No one makes a strut or shock to work with the high rate Z28 springs. So when they leak out you need a replacement you will be going to a $3000 plus coilovers system at minimum be in the same range of performance. You can go with the SS springs and Bilstein B6 , which will be a bit better then the 1LE if you have the other suspension upgrades.
Apharaoh06 is offline   Reply With Quote