Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 03-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Jaymee

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Audio shutting off when Voltmeter reads above 15V

I have a 2017 1SS with a non-bose system. Intermittently the amp output will go away. Sometimes you can hear a crackle, and sometimes it may go in and out. I noticed it happens more frequently the colder the outside temperature is. Also, the voltmeter reads above 15V and I check the voltage at the battery and it is 15.25 or greater when this happens.

I am thinking either the amp is bad or the voltage regulator?

Thanks for the incite!

Jaymee
Jaymee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Agree with voltage regulator is bad. Replace alternator or replace both a battery and alternator. Sooner than later. Good call!
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Either way it should be covered if you car is still within the warranty period.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Jaymee

Thanks guys! It's just out of warranty. Just my luck. It's interesting it only does it every now and then. I will look into having the alternator checked. The battery is 3+ years old now so I will replace it in the next few months either way.

Jaymee
Old 03-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymee View Post
I have a 2017 1SS with a non-bose system. Intermittently the amp output will go away. Sometimes you can hear a crackle, and sometimes it may go in and out. I noticed it happens more frequently the colder the outside temperature is. Also, the voltmeter reads above 15V and I check the voltage at the battery and it is 15.25 or greater when this happens.

I am thinking either the amp is bad or the voltage regulator?

Thanks for the incite!

Jaymee
I’m going to go out on a limb here. I believe the problem is with one of the actual power amplifier ICs , itself.

Open up the amplifier and make sure there is enough heat sink grease on all the power amplifies, or it’s not dried up. This may be a best case chance at fixing it.
GM requires that we mute the audio power amplifiers when the battery is 16.0 or greater. There is no problem to operate these parts at 15.0V.
So, don’t waste your money on regulators, or batteries.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Open up the amplifier and make sure there is enough heat sink grease on all the power amplifies, or it’s not dried up. This may be a best case chance at fixing it.
If you can get this open and examine it while it is still connected you could check it for hot spots with one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/infrar...ter-93984.html
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
If you can get this open and examine it while it is still connected you could check it for hot spots with one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/infrar...ter-93984.html

Go to your local PC part place, or ebay, spend $2 and give it a whirl. You may do more damage operating the amplifier opened up. I do, however, suspect the power amplifier IC has failed.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Jaymee

I took the amp apart. The heat sink compound was drying and flaky. I cleaned all that up and added some fresh new compound. The ambient temps have been warm enough that i haven't had the problem yet. Keeping an eye on the volt meter in the dash, the voltage has been less than 15 since i looked at the amp.

I did purchase a new alternator. I was going to install it just to see, except I haven't figured out how to release the serpentine belt tensioner yet. The alternator seems like an easy change, once that belt is off and out of the way.

Thanks for all the insight!

Jaymee