Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Vert Owners: share your mod/tune success stories!

I have a 2SS/RS manual with NPP on order with TPW of March 10. I'm lining up the mods and have a local tuner selected. Thanks to this great forum and it's members [YOU] for being such a fountain of information. To date, I have purchased:

>interior cover
>gills
>CAI intake
>Rx catch can and 1LE separator
>skip shift eliminator
>VMax ported TB

I have my local tuner lined up and after a few break-in miles, will be getting her tweaked up. He is tempting me with ARH headers but not sure about the noise level.

My goals for this car are to own it for the rest of my life and keep it close to stock (NPP) noise levels. Is that possible with headers plugged into the OE plumbing?

What mods and tuning have you had success or trouble with?

What about noise levels in a convertible when you started modding the exhaust headers, cats, mufflers?

Share your experience with us new owners.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Noise levels are thru the roof when exhaust is open and you hammer down. Close the exhaust and normal driving people can't tell. When idling and camming they know something is up her though! LOL
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Congrats

I have an auto so cannot comment on tuning.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
Noise levels are thru the roof when exhaust is open and you hammer down. Close the exhaust and normal driving people can't tell. When idling and camming they know something is up her though! LOL
So, looking at your mod list, you have Stainless Works headers but don't mention cats or more. So do your headers dump into the OE cats and NPP?

I understand the NPP is open at idle, then closes until 3500. Is that correct? Is the NPP programable thru tuning or otherwise?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Mine has a cam and cnc ported heads package with Kooks LT headers, after market high flow cats and factory NPP with stock mufflers. You can definitely hear the cam at idle. Driving down the road top up, you can comfortably listen to the radio and carry a normal conversation. Top down, it's still bearable and not by any means obnoxious. When you hit the go pedal however, it really roars to life and you can really hear it! I love, love, love the sound. I call it the best of both worlds, quiet and mellow when you need it, loud and proud when you want it!!
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
So, looking at your mod list, you have Stainless Works headers but don't mention cats or more. So do your headers dump into the OE cats and NPP?

I understand the NPP is open at idle, then closes until 3500. Is that correct? Is the NPP programable thru tuning or otherwise?
No cats. I have ADM exhaust controller, it's shut by default you open with keychain wireless controller.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I'd add installing clear bra on the front facia, the mirrors and the gills.
The best investment ever.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Add a whipple you wont regret it.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Tuned with headers, love it - when starting up and acceleration I get people that give me looks but at a steady cruise it's nice, I have an auto - you just have to make sure the tuner shuts off the afm. Why void your warranty and not get the full benefit offered by headers?
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Congratulations on the new purchase! You will love it. I have the NPP exhaust and Pfadt Tr-Y headers. It's considerably louder, but not to the point of ridiculousness. My other upgrades are in my signature. Also, here is a link to my car on Pfadt's website which includes a sound clip of my car. Good luck!

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/pfad...s-convertible/
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
Congratulations on the new purchase! You will love it. I have the NPP exhaust and Pfadt Tr-Y headers. It's considerably louder, but not to the point of ridiculousness. My other upgrades are in my signature. Also, here is a link to my car on Pfadt's website which includes a sound clip of my car. Good luck!

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/pfad...s-convertible/
My tuner promotes either Pfadt or ARH which both appear to be quality. I guess you buy the "Tri-Y" design, eh? I guess I'll have to drive it stock for at least a few breakin miles to see if I can handle more.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
That NPP sucks. I will drive down and swap you out with my non-NPP no charge.

Congrats on the awesome ride!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
My tuner promotes either Pfadt or ARH which both appear to be quality. I guess you buy the "Tri-Y" design, eh? I guess I'll have to drive it stock for at least a few breakin miles to see if I can handle more.
I was happy with the stock NPP sound as well. I went with the headers to help the Whipple breath a little better, but can't go wrong with the NPP sound. Post pics when she arrives!
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote