Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2024, 07:43 PM   #29
clyde

Drives: broken
I don't know what would happen swapping modules with one that came from a differently configured car, but I wouldn't expect good things. The chassis control module should be swappable with one that came out of an identically configured car from the same model year. I bought one on eBay for cheap to do some comparing and the car seems fine with it plugged in in place of the original one, but don't know dor sure what anyone else's experience would be.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:31 AM   #30
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
So.. if anyone has a SS 1LE autoX calibration in a 2018 module that you want to sell.. PM me For science.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:03 AM   #31
sab123

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Is there a similar calibration for post-2021 cars? Or is it already included there from the factory? My 2022 track supplement to the manual says that there is a special e-diff calibration that gets enabled by track mode + stability control full off, which sounds very similar to the description of this autox calibration. But is it the same kind of calibration?

As for the whole control module from ZL1, if it includes the magnetic shocks control, that would be illegal in FS. For some reason all the street classes allow changing the magnetic shocks with the stock control module but only SS has a special exception allowing to change the control module with stock shocks. Since ZL1 is in AS, that would not be just a change of options. And going the other way around would have the same kind of problem.
sab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #32
clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab123 View Post
Is there a similar calibration for post-2021 cars? Or is it already included there from the factory? My 2022 track supplement to the manual says that there is a special e-diff calibration that gets enabled by track mode + stability control full off, which sounds very similar to the description of this autox calibration. But is it the same kind of calibration?
I don't know for sure, but I do not think there was a change for 2022.

Quote:
As for the whole control module from ZL1, if it includes the magnetic shocks control, that would be illegal in FS. For some reason all the street classes allow changing the magnetic shocks with the stock control module but only SS has a special exception allowing to change the control module with stock shocks. Since ZL1 is in AS, that would not be just a change of options. And going the other way around would have the same kind of problem.
The module that contains the eLSD calibrations and the shock controller are two different physical modules in the Camaro. The shock controller is on the driver side of the trunk under the amplifier and the body (or chassis or stability depending on what the document you're looking at calls it) control module is on the passenger side of the trunk.

As to aftermarket controllers being allowed only in Super Street, the Street Advisory Committee currently has a request out for feedback on changing that specific allowance for controllers and just about everything else about shocks. Please send a letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack
#33265 Please publish a request for feedback on requiring OEM shocks
The SAC is seeking initial member feedback on the current shock/strut allowances within section 13.5 of the Street Category rules. The options below are being considered.
Option 1: Keeping 13.5 as is, but open up electronic shock controller allowances under 13.5.A.8 to apply to all Street classes (not just Super-Street).

Option 2: Completely eliminating section 13.5 to create a “Showroom Stock” shock/strut allowance. This would apply to new car classing starting 1/1/2025 in any Fastrack or official rules publishing.

Option 3: Making 13.5 more restrictive on allowances to only allow commonly available shocks/struts. These would be the proposed new restrictions:
-Single adjustment only
-Steel bodies
-No threaded bodies
-No remote canisters
The above would be enforced 1/1/2026 at the minimum. The SAC is open to comments on enforcement start
date.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:14 AM   #33
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The autox cal is FS legal.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:59 PM   #34
sab123

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I don't know for sure, but I do not think there was a change for 2022.

I wonder if the supplement for the earlier years also describes a special diff mode enabled by track mode + stability full off.

Quote:
As to aftermarket controllers being allowed only in Super Street, the Street

Advisory Committee currently has a request out for feedback on changing that specific allowance for controllers and just about everything else about shocks. Please send a letter.

Thanks for the pointer!
sab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:33 PM   #35
clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab123 View Post
I wonder if the supplement for the earlier years also describes a special diff mode enabled by track mode + stability full off.
They've been using this language for the eLSD since the 2017 model year:

"Mode 2 is engaged when both TCS and StabiliTrak are turned off. This calibration provides more nimble corner turn-in, and is biased for better traction out of corners."
Old 02-02-2024, 05:56 PM   #36
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
They've been using this language for the eLSD since the 2017 model year:

"Mode 2 is engaged when both TCS and StabiliTrak are turned off. This calibration provides more nimble corner turn-in, and is biased for better traction out of corners."
Nannies off is always good!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:30 PM   #37
clyde

Quote:
Update: I got the autocross eLSD calibration and you can too! Short version is that you need a dealer service tech that is willing to hang up on GM Techline and call back if the Techline person doesn’t know what to do (and repeat as many times as necessary).
Finally had the chance to use it last weekend at the Red Hills Tour. Only the 12 combined runs between my codriver and me (plus another five total in the wet on the T&T course Friday), but neither of us encountered any of the wonky unpredictable behavior that I would have expected to have gotten a few times with the original calibration.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:32 PM   #38
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Agreed. I just got six runs in today at our local novice school (fun runs, but on RE71RSs). The rear traction is super consistent now without the sudden oversteer on corner exit that we've come to expect from this car. It still turns well on the power and the eventual breakaway is at the rear with too much power, but now you never have to guess how much torque demand that will take. Nice update, Chevy!

Last edited by Msquared; 03-31-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:09 PM   #39
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Agreed. I just got six runs in today at our local novice school (fun runs, but on RE71RSs). The rear traction is super consistent now without the sudden oversteer on corner exit that we've come to expect from this car. It still turn well on the power and the eventual breakaway is at the rear with too much power, but now you never have to guess who much torque demand that will take. Nice update, Chevy!
So you got it. Nice!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:45 AM   #40
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Finally had the chance to use it last weekend at the Red Hills Tour. Only the 12 combined runs between my codriver and me (plus another five total in the wet on the T&T course Friday), but neither of us encountered any of the wonky unpredictable behavior that I would have expected to have gotten a few times with the original calibration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Agreed. I just got six runs in today at our local novice school (fun runs, but on RE71RSs). The rear traction is super consistent now without the sudden oversteer on corner exit that we've come to expect from this car. It still turns well on the power and the eventual breakaway is at the rear with too much power, but now you never have to guess how much torque demand that will take. Nice update, Chevy!
Agreed, I think it works well. Significant improvement over stock programming, otoh it can be a bit much for the OEM wheel/tire setup so I can see why it's not standard. It's still better and more fun to drive though.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:49 PM   #41
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Agreed, I think it works well. Significant improvement over stock programming, otoh it can be a bit much for the OEM wheel/tire setup so I can see why it's not standard. It's still better and more fun to drive though.
I can believe that. The stock SC3s aren't great at putting down power. The RE71RSs are.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:55 PM   #42
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I can believe that. The stock SC3s aren't great at putting down power. The RE71RSs are.