Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Old Tires vs New Tires

I've noted that a tire a couple years old has lost its traction and cornering capability.

Anyone else?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
old tire=not good, new tire=good? Hmmm
Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Not to sound sarcastic, but of course they have. They have to and all brands and tires will. Rubber compounds change with time and temp cycles. Generally becoming harder. This will offer less and less grip. Also Bite edges (corner of treads) become rounded and no longer bite to provide grip.

When I raced dirt Late Model I used to grind 8 tires every week! 4 to run in the heat race and 4 in the feature. Cutting them gave fresh sharp bite edges, but after one race they were rounded. I always wanted fresh rubber on the ground.

Tire stores often want to sipe your tires as they get wore down. This is because the sipes create many new bite edges and create flex in the rubber to help grip. It's temporary and will accelerate tire wear, but does provide short term additional grip.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
failshift
Banned

I noticed car runs a lot faster when I put gas in it. Vs when I don't put gas in it
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I have Toyo Proxie 2's. Love this tire.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
So now that there's overwhelming agreement, ever wonder why anyone would buy performance tires a couple years old for what seems like a high percentage cost of new tires?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Not so far (2 years - 14K). What I notice is the grip drops a lot on cold mornings and it flat-spots from sitting overnight (they are not kidding about the summer tire label).
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Bald tires have better grip on dry pavement (racing slicks, anybody?). It's when there's a little moisture on the ground that tread grooves come into play, because without a place for the water to go, hydroplaning will happen quickly.

I drive 20 miles of mountain road every day, and I drive 'em pretty fast. I go through tires pretty quickly. However, the balder the tires get, the better they grip the turns. I've even run some tires down to smooth as a baby's butt, and that's when they are at their finest. However, the risk of getting caught in a surprise rainstorm is the reason that it's not a good idea--- or is it legal--- to run baldies.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
So now that there's overwhelming agreement, ever wonder why anyone would buy performance tires a couple years old for what seems like a high percentage cost of new tires?
I don't know anybody that buys & runs Used Tires - doesn't make a lot of sense
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I see used tires for sale all the time in classifieds.

I have some older tires on my truck that seemed to lose a lot of their original traction, especially when wet. I just had them sipped, so I will let you know if it helped next rainy day.

Last edited by Mr. Stacy; 08-02-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Mr. Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Quote:
I don't know anybody that buys & runs Used Tires - doesn't make a lot of sense
Lots of underpaid people here in NC buy used tires. I think all the used tires from the north get shipped down south to be sold because there are used tire places all over the south. I never saw a place that sold used tires before I moved down here.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
failshift
Banned

Tires are way over looked and arguably the most important part of the car. I run a smaller tire for my power level but I have proper tires so even so they will hook from a dig. (Granted I can smoke them in any gear if I want to)
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Bald tires have better grip on dry pavement (racing slicks, anybody?). It's when there's a little moisture on the ground that tread grooves come into play, because without a place for the water to go, hydroplaning will happen quickly.

I drive 20 miles of mountain road every day, and I drive 'em pretty fast. I go through tires pretty quickly. However, the balder the tires get, the better they grip the turns. I've even run some tires down to smooth as a baby's butt, and that's when they are at their finest. However, the risk of getting caught in a surprise rainstorm is the reason that it's not a good idea--- or is it legal--- to run baldies.
No so true with better tires. I lived in the north GA mountains for about 15 years and when tires where new there was a lot of tread squirm, and as they got worn, they would feel better. Like you, since I was driving these roads tires did not last long, so a few sets a year was the norm. Now with the 1LE and the great Goodyears that come on it, things could not be more different. First, new tires have no tread squirm because there is not much tread to begin with, and as you go from the new tire to as you put it "baldies", you reach a point where traction is greatly reduced. Slicks are great, and offer a bunch of traction, but the "good" rubber is only there for a so long, which is why tires get worse in NASCAR, INDY and Formula One and have to be changed. I run the Goodyears way past the point of useful life, but its not because they are working better (they're actually horrible), its to push off the cost of replacement as long as possible.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
I noticed car runs a lot faster when I put gas in it. Vs when I don't put gas in it

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote