Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Race Ramps arriving damaged? How big of a deal is dents?

A couple weeks ago I finally decided to order a set of 67" 2 piece race ramps and 10" cribs while Amazon had them on sale. The cribs showed up perfect. The first set of ramps showed up in a beat up box and one of the ramps had a crumpled and cracked point, the very edge you start to drive up. I knew that would spread and get worse being in a thin/delicate spot so I emailed amazon, they apologized for the shipping damage and sent me out a 2nd set.

2nd set arrived friday, in a box that looked like it'd been through a blender and then taped back together. One end has clearly been opened and then resealed with a different tape. I'd kept the first set of ramps until the new ones arrived thinking if there were damaged pieces in the new set I'd mix and match and hopefully be able to have 4 good pieces to keep and then send all the rest back... but no such luck, every piece in the 2nd set has a small dent or crease somewhere, most have a couple of them, and here's the kicker, one piece is missing! The taller portion of one ramp is nowhere to be found.

So here's what I'm wondering from other Race Ramp owners, Am I having terrible luck with these, or is it this common for them to arrive damaged? I hate to keep being a pain to Amazon trying to get a good set, but for $300 I kinda feel like they ought to be perfect. I can live with minor cosmetic issues, but I don't know how these dents and creases will hold up over time. Will the damage get worse after use? I'd like them to last awhile.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
YLWJKT

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You're having bad luck.
I've gotten a couple of sets, one for home and another for the shop and they were fine.
Who's the delivery service?
YLWJKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLWJKT View Post
You're having bad luck.
I've gotten a couple of sets, one for home and another for the shop and they were fine.
Who's the delivery service?
UPS both times, which is usually pretty good around here.

The packaging seems really flimsy for how delicate the ramps are. The Cribs were double boxed by Amazon, but the ramp box I guess is too big to put a shipping box around.

Here's the better of the 2 boxes, and the crushed/cracked ramp tip from the first set. Haven't taken photo's of the dents in the second set yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
My race ramp box showed up f'd up too, but I got them from another online auto supplier place dropped shipped by Race Ramps themselves. There were no issues with the ramps, but the box looked like hell and one end was open but nothing missing or damaged inside.

Dents likely won't be any issues (wait until you start using them. "Perfect" will be dropped from your vocabulary as minor marks, dinks, etc. will happen). Splits are another issue altogether.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
My race ramp box showed up f'd up too, but I got them from another online auto supplier place dropped shipped by Race Ramps themselves. There were no issues with the ramps, but the box looked like hell and one end was open but nothing missing or damaged inside.

Dents likely won't be any issues (wait until you start using them. "Perfect" will be dropped from your vocabulary as minor marks, dinks, etc. will happen). Splits are another issue altogether.

The 2 areas that concern me the most are the cracked tip in the photos above and one of the second set ramps is pinched on the bottom/side corner, kinda looks like you grabbed it with giant channellocks. No break in the skin on that one but the foam underneath feels pretty fubar'd. I don't care how it looks, I just don't know if its going to affect structural strength or deteriorate quickly because of the damage.

I'll get some pictures of that and the other smaller dents tonight.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

Here's a few more pictures, the 2nd box with the end thats clearly been opened before and resealed, and some of the damage on the 2nd set. The pinched areas are what I'm most concerned about causing issues down the road.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Chevy_cowboy

After talking to a few friends and thinking about it over the weekend, I really feel that for the price these things cost, I can expect them to arrive in new condition and these really aren't. I'm also a bit worried about the location of the damage affecting structural strength.

So I issued another replacement request through amazon, hopefully 3rd time is the charm.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
After talking to a few friends and thinking about it over the weekend, I really feel that for the price these things cost, I can expect them to arrive in new condition and these really aren't. I'm also a bit worried about the location of the damage affecting structural strength.

So I issued another replacement request through amazon, hopefully 3rd time is the charm.
That's what I would do, stuff is expensive now days, at least make sure I get new looking parts..

Going out to eat is expensive, and if the food sucks I say something, why pay good money for a crappy meal? I refuse...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
None of the damage looks like a functional problem.

When you start using them you will see how easily they dent.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
Grizley

Drives: 2010 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post

In my opinion it doesn't matter what the item costs, if you're buying something new you should expect to receive it in new condition, free of damage (I realize most of this falls on the shipping company, but that's why they insure their packages) I had a similar situation from Amazon recently. I had ordered a guitar, first 3 I received were damaged beyond belief, the first one the body was literally broken in half, second the neck was snapped in half, third had both horns broken off (flying v guitar) 4th one wasn't even the right guitar or color, was sent a $75 red bass guitar. I ordered the black Dave Mustaine VMNT for $995 lol. Finally after the 5th try I got one that was in perfect condition. Moral to the story I guess is have some patience (not saying your not) and keep sending them back till you get what you paid for, Amazon will make it right.
Grizley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
Chevy_cowboy

yeah no question Amazon will make it right, their customer service is stellar. Hopefully they won't have to eat the cost of these themselves, when its mostly UPS and the manufacturers fault. They really need to use better packaging for these things.

Already got a email saying the new set will ship today and be here wednesday.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Chevy_cowboy

I was beginning to wonder if such a thing existed, but HERE is what perfect 67" Race Ramps look like. The 3rd set arrived today, box had a couple minor scars on it but the ramps themselves don't have so much as a scratch. Darn glad I was patient and persistent. Now to pack up the other 7 pieces and drop them off at UPS.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I'm lucky, mine came in fine. Boxes were not damaged (beside, I know the UPS folks well ;o). I agree, you expect to get like new, not newly damaged. Amazon will take care of it I'm sure...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Must have been some particular workers day off when this last order came through... lol

I ordered a set of 56" ramps and they showed up in perfect shape. Glad your persistence paid off. I know I never feel bad about returning things to amazon, that's a big part of why I order from them for certain things. They're the definition of a huge corporation and I feel no guilt about it!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote