Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Dralive

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS - Midnight Grey
2020 Camaro E-Brake Issue

Hello, I own a brand new 2020 Camaro LT RS that i just picked up from Bremerton, WA.

I’ve had no issues with the car except with e-brakes.

To start off, when I saw my friend 3 days after I got it, I stopped my car, put it in N, and set the parking brake, as it was running, and got out to show him the car.
It then rolled down, and i quickly jolted to re engage the parking brake and put it in gear and turn it off. I brushed it off as a “me thing” and must of forgot to set it, even though I didn’t.

2 days ago(at the time of posting this) I got in my car after work, started it, knew the E-BRAKE was on, and let my foot off clutch/brake. I plugged my dead phone in. In the few seconds it took me to do that, my car slowly starts rolling down, and bumps into another truck. I knew it was on.

Are there any other people with issues like this? I am a perfect driver and would never hurt this car. Nor am I stupid enough to disengage it. I know it was engaged. It beeps if you set it without brake on and it you try to disengage likewise. After this happened, I tried turning it on again and it took 3 swipes to engage it. But when I got home it was fine.

Can I hold Chevy accountable of this?
Dralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralive View Post
Can I hold Chevy accountable of this?
You can try, but I doubt that they will accept the blame unless you can demonstrate that the car rolls while the parking brake is engaged. Even then I suspect that the dealer will tell you to file the claim with your insurance and then wait to see if the insurance company comes after them. This is probably a better question to ask your insurance agent if there is damage to either car. A good insurance agent will be honest with you about how the insurance company will handle the claim and how it might impact your future rates.

Normally I can hear the electric motor engage and disengage the parking brake. I usually hold the switch in place until I hear the electric motor before I release the switch. I'm not familiar with the LS and LT models, but there is a visible indicator on the dash for the SS models as shown in the picture below. This will indicate when the car thinks the parking brake is engaged. I suggest you find the indicator for your car and then watch to see if you have rolling problems while the indicator is on.

If your car rolls while this indicator is on then your parking brake probably needs to be adjusted. If you have to activate the switch multiple times to engage the parking brake then there may be a problem with the switch, wiring, or electric motor. Either way this is a trip to the dealer to have the system serviced.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Dralive

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS - Midnight Grey
Thank you.

I contacted my insurance and they said contact GM. I opened a case with GM, and they are going to get back to me they said. My agent did not inform me of anything else, the damage is minimal, I should just pay for mine out of pocket, but I’ll wait till a dealership looks at it.

My friend is my witness here, and as per your reply; yes there is an indicator for when it’s on, and I confirmed it was on prior to both incidents. It was on all day, in the parking lot. Not in gear. get into my car and what? Turns itself off. No input.
Dralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Do you ensure the brake light on the dash illuminates? I don't let off the brake pedal until that light is on. It takes a couple of seconds to engage.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote